Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-11-2002, 12:02 PM   #11
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
How provocative you are lately, Saz

Arledrian: I edited myself on that one.

I'm not certain why some people seem to give up on "playing" as soon as they hit adulthood. Nothing is important to them unless it's work-related. They'll play golf, but only if they can make a business deal. They'll play tennis with the boss, but only to see if they can get a promotion. Anything that smacks of honest fun without being work-related is immediately relegated to their own dustbin, and those others around them who do indulge in "fun" are castigated or, at least, looked askance.

All work and no play makes Jackie a dull boy. All work and no play may hasten his death as well.

This phenomenon seems to be greater in the US, where we've had this "Puritan work ethic" ingrained in us for the past four centuries. It's starting to relax a bit, at least. Until it does, though, expect more of the same.

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 07-11-2002, 12:04 PM   #12
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Megabot:
Yeah you have right all of you lol but what shall i tell her? She look at this "annoying" soap Operaes" on tv all the time is that any better? No i dont think so, so i trie to tell here that and she say to me that it is "real world" this things happend not in a fu*ing game OMG what can i say? Is it "real world" that stupid tv series NO way!
Ahh, I see. Her "reality" is obviously superior to yours, in her viewpoint. How blinkered and immature of her.

Ignore her blathering and do what you want. [img]smile.gif[/img]

-Sazerac

"And all my days are trances, and all my nightly dreams,
Are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams,
In what ethereal dances, by what eternal streams..."
Old 07-11-2002, 12:07 PM   #13
Arnabas
Baaz Draconian

My wife never used to understand my love of gaming, but then I got her to play a few Playstation games, which she liked. When Dark Alliance came out, I got her to play it with me (I was the Archer and she was the Sorceress). She had great fun running away from everything and letting me fight by my lonesome... Ultimately, though, she got into it as her character became strong enough to survive a few hits. Her best friend was Mordenkainen's Sword ("I can stand back here and let it fight FOR me? Yay!") She is now anxiously awaiting a sequel. I have nudged her toward BG and BGII and she is showing some interest. I am pretty happy, given that we now have something else in common. Now I laugh at how much fun she's having.
Old 07-11-2002, 12:07 PM   #14
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

hmmm yea age is irrelevant im 17 and i know like 3 other people in my town who play rpgs we all are a dying breed...... or an ever growing army. depends on which way you look at the game sales
Old 07-11-2002, 12:10 PM   #15
Megabot
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

OMG haven`t you forgot one thing Zaz Your "SIG" remeber all of you cut it in the second post and let`s trie to REMEBER that!! LOL

But i have a plane i think "maby" will go and trie to let here play "The Simms" all girls LOOOVE that so let`s se LOL!

[ 07-11-2002, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: Megabot ]
Old 07-11-2002, 12:12 PM   #16
DeSoya
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Lioness:
*sticks out tongue at all the old farts* [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Actually, I've been teased for playing DnD too, there aren't many teenage girls that play, I guess. [img]smile.gif[/img] *shrugs* Silly people don't understand the ecstatic joy that comes from whooping up a horde of gibberlings.
I was going to mention DnD.... It's awesome that you play. The hobby needs more youngish people like you and me (I'm 23).
If your GF has problems with you playing computer games you and she should go to a role-playing convention sometime. Just to look. There are lots and lots of people who are over the hill [img]tongue.gif[/img] who play games. To let you in on a few: Curt Schilling (ace pitcher for the Arizona Diamondbacks) has controlling interest in Multi-Man Publishing, the producer of Advanced Squad Leader. He is an avid ASL player. I know for a fact that he has a high level cleric in EQ. There are other baseball players that play EQ. I don't know any other names. Tim Allen and Steve Martin both play Warhammer 40k. A great many basketball players are big fans of console gaming. It's nice to know that it isn't just us.

A couple of good quotes:
"Imagination grows by exercise, and contrary to common belief, is more powerful in the mature than in the young."
-W. Somerset Maugham
The man who has no imagination has no wings.
-Muhammad Ali

And of course, "Reality is a crutch for people with not enough imagination." Not sure who to attribute that too but I didn't say it first.

DeSoya

[ 07-11-2002, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: DeSoya ]
Old 07-11-2002, 12:31 PM   #17
Megabot

Quote:
I'm 36 Megabot, so i'm not an old fart like you yet , but i still play lots of games and i don't think that will ever change. It's a hobby, you know ? Some people collect stamps, others visit hookers all the time, and i play games, so what ????????
No you "young guy LOL as you say it is an hobby i have it back from the time with "Ultima Underworld 1 and EOB 1 and so on after this gemes i get "adickted" (<--sp? some how i LOOVED this nice peace and i was in another world kind`a it was SO great to get the "crimson key" in Eob 2" that make me insane almost and dicover the buty this guys had done to games like this OMG i loved it!! No games in the world can "beat" Eob II i think in the RPG style of orginality or UW 1 and 2!

Edit because of the sig LOL now it is gone!!

[ 07-11-2002, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: Megabot ]
Old 07-11-2002, 12:50 PM   #18
Megabot

Or maby i shall make an new topic about this? yaaaa i do! LOL
Old 07-11-2002, 12:51 PM   #19
Charean
Hathor

Quote:
Originally posted by Megabot:
Yeah you have right all of you lol but what shall i tell her? She look at this "annoying" soap Operaes" on tv all the time is that any better? No i dont think so, so i trie to tell here that and she say to me that it is "real world" this things happend not in a fu*ing game OMG what can i say? Is it "real world" that stupid tv series NO way!
Megabot, it sounds like you will have to agree to disagree on that. I liked what Arnabas did - he "converted" his wife! Smart man!

Soaps are serious, and gaming is fun. Maybe she needs help lightning up - she sounds like she needs to have some fun herself! Let her know that a lot of women play these and that it is okay to have fun and enjoy yourself. You can lose your sanity being serious all the time. (Speaking as someone who got hooked on soaps at a VERY young age - I am off them now in favor of INTERACTION rather than REACTION.)
Old 07-11-2002, 02:15 PM   #20
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

i'll be 41 on the 15th and i have no problems.i've been playing electronic games since pong.i started playing pc games a couple years ago.