Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum

Old 09-24-2002, 11:31 PM   #1
tabbikaat
Dungeon Master

Uhmmm....wondering if someone could clear up my confusion on multiclassing or more likely....duo classing.

Lets say I want to have a cleric level 10 then change to a paladin level one. would the paladin not be able to cast any cleric spells until she is a paladin level 10?

Would you level up a cleric level, then a paladin level, then a cleric level? What is the penalty that people keep talking about?

What are some good races and which classes/sub classes to duo class?

And yes, I do have the instruction manual....but uhhh....well that print is so *tiny*......it's hard to read.... )
tabbikaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 11:51 PM   #2
Paladin2000
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Lets say I want to have a cleric level 10 then change to a paladin level one. would the paladin not be able to cast any cleric spells until she is a paladin level 10?
Your Cleric/Paladin will be able to cast level 10 cleric spells as well as level 1 Paladin spells, but since Paladin will only be able to cast spells at level 9 (I think), you will not have any Paladin Spells available yet. But if You have 10/9 Cleric/Paladin, your character will be able to cast level 10 cleric spells and level 9 Paladin spells.

Quote:
Would you level up a cleric level, then a paladin level, then a cleric level? What is the penalty that people keep talking about?
It is up to you which class you want to level up. I am not very sure how the penalty works because I have never multiclass my party yet and I am too damn lazy to read the manual too.

Quote:
What are some good races and which classes/sub classes to duo class?
It is all up to you. Personally, I prefer to use Aasimar as Paladin and Wood Elves for Druid and Moon Elves for Mages.

[ 09-25-2002, 12:29 AM: Message edited by: Paladin2000 ]
Old 09-25-2002, 12:12 AM   #3
Nightowl2
Galvatron

A penalty may or may not apply, depending on the race and classes the character has.

If you have a character with two classes, and one of them is the favored class, there won't be a penalty. The favored class is never considered.

If neither class is favored, and the classes are more than one level apart, say 5/3, then an experience penalty is in effect until the levels are closer (in this case, 5/4).

The manual lists the favored class for all races. Pure humans and half-elves come out best. They have no particular favored class. Whichever class is highest is considered favored. So you could have a human with 8/1, any mix of professions, and it wouldn't matter; there's no penalty.

For a single class character, there is never a penalty, no matter what the class.

Nightowl2

P.S. If you had that paladin/cleric, there would be separate spellbooks for each class. It works that way for a sorcerer/wizard mix, too.
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 10:44 AM   #4
tabbikaat
Dungeon Master

Thanks all for your replies

Regarding the cleric/Paladin question......would my level 10 Cleric/level 5 Paladin continue to learn cleric spells?

If I were going to duo class this character say an Aasimar Human - which level should I have at cleric before I go to Paladin?

Also the skill called "Concentration"....is that only for spellcaster types? I see some people list it for their front line warriors. It appears to be based on the the ability score "constitution"....
tabbikaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2002, 12:00 PM   #5
Nightowl2
Galvatron

Your cleric would learn spells when he goes up in level. If, say, he were 8th level and you never advanced him beyond that, he would not learn any more spells. However, if you continued to advance his level, he'd get spells as usual. See page 142 in the manual for cleric spell progression.

I preferred to keep my Paladin and Cleric separate characters. I rarely used spells from the Paladin; he was definitely the front-line fighter type. This allowed the cleric to stay back (most of the time) for spellcasting.

Concentration is taken if you plan to work up to the feat Maximized Attacks. Fighters need 4 levels of that skill, plus maxing out in two weapon types, to get Max Damage.

Nightowl2

[ 09-25-2002, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Nightowl2 ]
Nightowl2 is offline   Reply With Quote