Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Icewind Dale | Heart of Winter | Icewind Dale II Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2000, 03:32 PM   #1
lordeamon

what is a good strategy to win the last battle I am this close to giving up
Old 09-21-2000, 04:17 PM   #2
dragonslayer
Manshoon

I would set my characters to do as following:

Fighter/Ranger/Paladin/: Attack Belhifet
Cleric/Druid: Same as fighter but heal aswell, may cast some offensive spell(s)
Thief: Find Traps only
Mage: Cast Spells at Belhifet
Bard: Either as Mage or as Fighter

If you have three fighters and want to survive with all characters you might want to set only one to attack Belhifet and the two others to kill of the Iron Golems, if doing this I suggest you give the best armour and weapons to the character attacking Belhifet and the Boots of Speed, also let the Cleric/Druid help him and heal him. I suggest that you dont use any defensive spells until after the battle has started and try to avoid the traps as they might be Dispel Magic (hence the Thief using find traps). This is the way I killed him without losing more than half the life with any character.

Good Luck
dragonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2000, 07:57 PM   #3
Wretched

I mostly agree with what the above poster said, in that you should send your fighter-types right in to melee with Belhifet, with any clerics you have doing a combination of fighting and healing. Your thief probably should spend some time getting rid of all the dispelling traps that are in this room, because you don't want your mage's spells to get cancelled.

The mage, however, took a different role in my game. Basically, the Iron Golems will almost always go after your mage first. So what you should do, is cast Stoneskin and Mirror image on him, and have him keep the golems busy while your fighters dish out punishment on the main badguy. With a decent Armor Class and those two spells, he should keep them tangled up plenty long enough for you to kill Belhifet.
Old 09-22-2000, 07:53 AM   #4
dragonslayer
Manshoon

You could also cast Otilukes Resilent Sphere on him, the Golems will still attack only him.
dragonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2000, 03:02 PM   #5
lordeamon

i have tried as your have sugested all mt character are killed by the demon without a scratching him and my mage is killed by the iron golems what Am I doing wrong my party consistst of two fighters paladin and a ranger two clerics a thief and a mage. why is this so hard?
Old 10-02-2000, 03:05 PM   #6
Yrth
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Well, I've succeeded twice. I have two fighters, a ranger, a cleric, a mage and a thief. The cleric died in both (almost from the start); the thief in one. The others did a lot of running around swallowing tons of potions. My mage, when he wasn't busy losing quarts of blood, cast a lot of monster summoning (all levels) just for distraction while my fighters swallowed healing and resist potions, etc. He also summoned shadow stalkers. I had him memorize lots of summoning spells since the darn golems mess up his concentration too much. Also, he hasted my fighters. However, the problem here is those dispel traps. You have to manually move each fighter so he won't hit the traps (my thief was absolutely useless at disarming them and basically just hid in the game in which he lived). Once you haste them (memorize more than one haste), make sure that when the jerk baddy teleports, that they don't follow him through the dispel traps.
Yrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2000, 04:15 PM   #7
Wrath
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I agree with what they all said, except that your Thief will only be able to spot the traps, not disarm them, so having him help in the fight should be a better idea. I always have my Fighters charge the Iron Golems first, with good weapons they should fall in no time (Conlan's Hammer can help a lot). After they're gone, back your party to a safe area, I prefer the lower right section of the room. Cast Haste, Courage, and any group spells your Cleric has. Keep your group from running over the traps though, or they'll be wasted. The minute you see him cast Infernal Conveyance, run!!!! This spell totally owned me the first time through, and if your party has low Fire res it'll toast them as well. Run, wait till the spell is finished, and charge back in. If you stick to the outer perimeter of his lair, you should be able to avoid the traps. Remember you need +3 weapons or better. And once the Iron Golems are gone, using something like Tenser's Transformation on your mage can help him get some action as well. My last trip, following this strat, managed to kill him without any deaths (though I had a Druid instead of a Cleric). Good luck.

-Wrath
Wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2000, 02:19 AM   #8
password

This is what i did. I ran down and cast invisibility radius thingy. So eveyrone was invisible. Then i moved everyone up, and lured ONLY poquelin up. Then i let my fighter melee him, but to kill him super fast i kept invising my thief so he could backstab the hell out of poquelin. This worked extremely well.