Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-27-2005, 05:00 PM   #1
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Well, if you wanted to see some more features of Windows Vista, you can head to it's official website

If implemented correctly, this could make my job and manny others so much easier.
I really like the sound of XI and WIM image. Plus the security structure has changed entirely, so hopefully those morons out there with nothing better to do than make fun of Windows for its security flaws will finally accept that windows wil be around for quite a while.
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:40 PM   #2
mad=dog

If you could switch to Linux your boss will kiss and hug you as you saved him/her one ludicrously overpriced Vista license.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:06 PM   #3
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

We have PC's here with Linux, but we also realise that this place would fall to pieces without windows, as all the software we run would never work (easily) with Linux.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:50 PM   #4
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Simply change the software then.

It works for Massachusetts(1), so it should work for anyone else.

It would be better if "those morons out there" would realize that windows is a closed system, and benefits only micro$haft. Believe it or not, open source is a much better solution - both long and short term.

(1)eviscerati.org

[ 09-27-2005, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Sir Krustin ]
Old 09-27-2005, 07:43 PM   #5
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Krustin:
Simply change the software then.
If it were simple, we would, but we are a mining company that use software that is not simple, adn will most likely never have an open source version.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:59 PM   #6
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Ok, I am sorry for referring to those people as morons, I did not mean everyone that likes open source, I just meant the people that sit at home all day posting a talking about how bad Windows is.
I know it has its faults, but I still think people go a little too far, plus I had too deal with yet another person who says these things and yet has absolutly no idea about what he saying, but says it anyway because he obviously thinks its the truth.

If when I ever encounter these so called "security problems" myself, maybe then I will take an interest in open source, but problems or not, I still think the people at Microsoft did some god work and I don't mind shelling out money for something that has always worked for me and makes things easier.

Either that, or the day I can install Linux onto one of my many machines and have all the hardware succesfully detected and working.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:52 PM   #7
mad=dog

What did you expect honestly? You post a commercial for a product that has yet to proove anything, but being hardware greedy and yet another copy of ancient OS concepts and you expect people to clap and praise it? I realise that anti-Microsoft attitudes can be tiresome, but reversing the tables you must admit the opposite can be true as well.
For what it is worth I praise your positive attitude - I sincerely hope that Vista can and will make your life easier. But from what I have seen so far it will cost any employer a healthy sum not only to purchase the license, but also to upgrade the machinery to fit. This is not something you can overlook. I do not know when you installed Linux the last time nor what your hardware profile it, but it'll have to be pretty peculiar if it manage to elude contemporary installers.
I have never ever been satisfied at Windows. I started to use it for convenience reasons as all the computers on campus were Windows machines. Not a day goes by without me missing OS/2. Right now I am toiling to iron out the remaining Windows habits so I can kick it the day Vista hits the stores. I game far too little to keep it for that reason alone.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:51 PM   #8
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Hivetyrant:
I know it has its faults, but I still think people go a little too far, plus I had too deal with yet another person who says these things and yet has absolutly no idea about what he saying, but says it anyway because he obviously thinks its the truth.
People often know more than you think.

Quote:
If when I ever encounter these so called "security problems" myself, maybe then I will take an interest in open source, but problems or not, I still think the people at Microsoft did some god work and I don't mind shelling out money for something that has always worked for me and makes things easier.
You've never had spyware? Or a virus? Or needed to format because something went wrong?

Quote:
Either that, or the day I can install Linux onto one of my many machines and have all the hardware succesfully detected and working.
Get Ubuntu. or SuSE. Or even Fedora Core. Get one of those, and notice that everything will work (with the possible exception of some modems and most wifi, but that's about it) without you needing to go anywhere to download and install drivers. And you'll be able to scroll a web page without it jumping everywhere. Try doing that on Windows.
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 12:08 AM   #9
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by LennonCook:
quote:
Originally posted by Hivetyrant:
People often know more than you think. [/QUOTE]Not the people I am talking about.

Quote:
quote:
You've never had spyware? Or a virus? Or needed to format because something went wrong?[/QUOTE]If people tried to put spyware on Linux, I assure you they would succeed.

Quote:
quote:
Either that, or the day I can install Linux onto one of my many machines and have all the hardware successfully detected and working.
Get Ubuntu. or SuSE. Or even Fedora Core. Get one of those, and notice that everything will work (with the possible exception of some modems and most wifi, but that's about it) without you needing to go anywhere to download and install drivers. And you'll be able to scroll a web page without it jumping everywhere. Try doing that on Windows. [/QUOTE]I recently went on a downloading spree and tried Ubuntu (not simple the way I like it), Fedora Core 4, not only did neither my modem or WiFi work (I eventually got Wireless working, but could not figure out how to actually use it easily) but my video card could not be found, even with the latest drivers, I had trouble getting an external drive coming up, I could not get a keyboard to properly install, all of which work perfectly in Windows, so why bother changing? I use far to many windows reliant programs to even consider it, I just wanted to so what the hype was about, and so far I am not convinced.
Maybe I will get it working one day and finally visit this magical open source haven I often here about, but until then I think I will remain one of the people trying to support windows instead of ripping it apart from the inside.

[ 09-28-2005, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: Hivetyrant ]
Old 09-28-2005, 12:13 AM   #10
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

I have also considered pre-ordering SuSE Linux Pro 10, as version 9.3 was nice, but what is the point of paying for it when I know windows works?