Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 01-16-2005, 01:32 PM   #1
uss
20th Level Warrior

Man, the whole day I've been thinking about what I should do in my life. Being unable to provide any straight answers to myself, I thought it would be a good idea to seek advice from anonymous people such as the members of this lovely forum.

I'll state the subjects that interest me / I am able at (to some extent):

1) The English language. I don't mean to brag or anything, but though my knowledge of the English language might be poor compared to some(such as those who have it as a first language), I got first place in a contest on the English language in which over 100 students of the same age group with above average English skills participated, so I know more than most of my countrymen.

My future job should probably involve conversing in English.

2) Japan. I have studied a lot about Japan but I haven't truly got ahold of the big picture since I've never been there. I'll probably start taking extra lessons in Japanese. I believe myself willing to learn the Japanese language and culture.

My future job should perhaps be associated with Japan.

3) International politics. I have some degree of interest in international politics, such as relations between superpowers, recent general history and conspiracy theories.

4) Drawing. The career of an artist seems to have little in relation with other careers but I often find myself drawing different things. It's a bit more complicated really - I've been reading different tutorials on drawing and have entered weird frenzies of drawing sketches that last for hours. This has been going on for a while now and I might be going serious with this. It seems like more of an alternative than anything else.

5) Japanese animations(Anime). I've watched tons and know some details about them. This is simply a boy's dream of writing his own screenplay and directing an anime.

Other languages I know: Estonian.

Other languages I will learn in the future: French or German, Russian.

The occupation of Estonian ambassador in Japan sounds ideal since the requirements of that would be a mix of subjects 1 and 2 and probably a slice of nr. 3 but it seems very possible that I might not be qualified for it since it could be demanding. Also, to my knowledge, it requires diplomatic schooling. Could anyone perhaps tell me what ambassadors do exactly?

Anime screenplay writer / director. Not much to say about this, since it's almost illogical. Subjects 1, 2, 4, 5 would be helpful should I wish to somehow pursue in this dreamy career. What sort of specialization would they require?

Then there's the possibility of being a Japanese philologist.

You might find the contents of this post stupid but I'm serious. I've been having a strange feeling of depression today and that's what inspired me to write this rubbish.

Should you have an idea of a career(an existing one, mind you ) that would blend some of the 5 aforementioned subjects well, don't hesitate to tell me about it. I'm pretty desperate about this.

Thanks in advance. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Regards,
Peeter.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:37 PM   #2
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Move to the US and join the Marines.
Like Japan? You might get get stationed in Okinawa
You'l become a member of an honored brotherhood, for more information go to
www.marines.com
You get to practice English.
You'l get a US citizenship
Preferential US hiring (military experience is nearly alwasy looked on positively)
Possibility for paid education.

[ 01-16-2005, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: Sir Degrader ]
Old 01-16-2005, 01:39 PM   #3
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

I suggest you explore all venues of interest. And also look at what is practicle when looking for a job. I had an interest in European Politics and society in general, so I went off to study journalism. I never had any regrets.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:40 PM   #4
Arvon
Unicorn

The solution is quiet simple. What ever you choose will be for the rest of your life. So... you have to choose something you really like. Money and to a lesser degree location should be low choices. Yes you do have to earn a living, but why spend the next forty years miserable? Good luck on your choice.

53.7% of all statistics are made up
Old 01-16-2005, 01:58 PM   #5
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Degrader:
Move to the US and join the Marines.
Like Japan? You might get get stationed in Okinawa
You'l become a member of an honored brotherhood, for more information go to
www.marines.com
You get to practice English.
You'l get a US citizenship
Preferential US hiring (military experience is nearly alwasy looked on positively)
Possibility for paid education.
Thanks for the offer but physical activities, which is obviously the main trait in that occupation, and day to day exercises aren't my bag really.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:59 PM   #6
Sir Degrader
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Have you tried interpretation or writing?
Old 01-16-2005, 03:19 PM   #7
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Heh.. with the European Union growing, the need for interpreters grows with the day. I've been told there is a massive shortage. Definately a market there..
Old 01-16-2005, 04:10 PM   #8
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
Since you know so much about Japan, why don't you become a Geisha ?
Old 01-16-2005, 05:02 PM   #9
Zuvio
Gold Dragon

The requirements for interpreters are extreme and I mean extreme.

International Law might seem to do the trick for ya. Who knows, we might even end against each in politics
Old 01-16-2005, 06:23 PM   #10
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Arvon:
The solution is quiet simple. What ever you choose will be for the rest of your life.
Actually, the trend is for the opposite. A lot more people switch jobs as often as every 3 years, than used to. People used to spend their whole lives in the same job, now people change and evolve into new areas. Of course, changing into a completely new career area overnight is almost impossible.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray