Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2006, 12:58 PM   #11
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Felix The Assassin:
If you don't mind, I would like to interject my [img]graemlins/2cents.gif[/img] .
As a junior high and high school student circa late 1970s and early 1980s. I was part of the chosen few amongst thousands of kids to participate in the early advanced readers study. Part of this involved the then current speed read word-to-subject metholodgy. It worked! I attribute much of that program to my success as an instructor, reader, and technical writer. Furthermore, the reason it works (worked) whatever, is more through brain stimulation, alert attention, and subconscious replay. If you were to read just the morning paper at leisure, you would be able to converse over one to three articles. However, if you were to speed read a 350 page novel over morning coffee, you could write a summary about it the next day. I honestly still have recall of "Pug" and his sons from "Winds of War" as being the first novel we read at speed.

I would research it further, check around your academia and investigate any probable leads from there.

Do keep us updated, or me anyway. I would like to know.
Interesting, do you have a link I could use to learn more on this?
Old 12-15-2006, 08:55 AM   #12
uss
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Luvian:
Of course not.
It does sound silly if you put it that way, but it's explained with a rather clever hypothesis (which is nonetheless based on pseudo-science). Furthermore, it seems to have some satisfied customers, so it's got to have a redeeming factor of sorts.

Some believe that one who uses this technique gains knowledge only from all the parts of the procedure EXCLUDING the mystical photoreading itself (which the author states is the core of the technique). The full procedure does have some clever methods to grasp the contents of a book, which perhaps make the reader (a bit too) confident in knowing them.

I, however, am yet undecided on the matter. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
uss is offline   Reply With Quote