Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should I get Sarah a Valentine's Day Gift?
Yes, Lyle, you complete dolt. Get Sarah a gift, and you might make her day. 26 66.67%
No, don't get a gift, because she probably hates Valentine's Day anyway. 12 30.77%
I don't care about you and your problems, Lyle. 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2005, 06:18 AM   #11
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
I'm disappointed that you didn't vote the way I did, Alex...
Why, is Alex your role-model? [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Vaskez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 07:58 AM   #12
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

I am an evil, Choc-hating spammer, and as such, refuse to post below a suggestion for a gift. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Get her some diamonds. Women's best friends. If you don't have the money don't buy her a flower. Be original. Get her a hamster.

[ 02-08-2005, 08:00 AM: Message edited by: Xen ]
Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 08:21 AM   #13
RevRuby
Fzoul Chembryl

i don't know what to suggest, not without more details. is she having a rough time right now? sometimes flowers are really good for cheering someone up, maybe an arrangement that includes roses, but they're not the only ones there. i like daisies, daisies are HAPPY! the note with the flowers should definately not put pressure on her, but let her know you care. something cutesy about brightening her day.

candy may not be a good idea unless you know what she LOVES.

just a thinking of you card with a small gift certificate might be good.

is her fave childhood toy coming back into popularity? that would be a good idea too. it shows you listen (meaning you ahve to know her fave toy) and you care, without having a whole bunch of romantic strings attatched.

also don't tell her on monday you want things to go further, even if you're willing to wait for her to be ready, too much pressure on that day. wait a week, but do tell her.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:41 AM   #14
Lady Sedai
Banned User

I'd go the "friendlier" V-Day route to the "romantic" route.

As to flowers, carnations AND daisies are nice. They last long and they don't imply "I Love You" like roses do. Perhaps a nice arrangement with *one* rose? And that one an unusual color (like peach)? Something pretty, but just not the "typical" dozen red roses thing.

A stuffed animal with, perhaps, an "I'm glad we're friends" or "you're special" card? That way, you aren't pulling the standard "Be Mine" card, but are letting her know you appreciate her.

Just some ideas to keep it light, yet hint a bit.

I know, for me, Valentine's has always been more than *just* a day for lovers though that's the primary focus. Every year, I give even my close friends and family Valentine's cards and gifts. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-08-2005, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: Lady Sedai ]
Lady Sedai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 08:48 AM   #15
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

It's no crime to give someone you like a present, for goodness sake! I realize in Europe, it's considered almost exclusively a 'lovers' holiday' but here in the states it is a little more open about who gets greetings/gifts. Those card companies wanna make money, you know! [img]graemlins/laugh2.gif[/img]

My husband and I invited my best friend to go to lunch this weekend for a 'valentine' gift ,just to let her know she's a valued friend and wonderful person. Hubby and I will go out for a romantic evening for just the two of us on Valentine's day.

Ilander, if you are close enough (as in live near one another not across the country or something! ) you could invite Sarah for lunch or just send a nice 'thinking of you' type valentine card, they make all kinds at all 'levels' of relationship these days. If you're really daring, I bet they make a "I'm interested in you- what do you think?" card somewhere!

Either way, a little gift that says 'I like you' probably won't go amiss. [img]smile.gif[/img] Candy, gourmet coffee, flowers a basket of fruit, whatever you think she'd like!

Obviously you DO like her and maybe she'll reciprocate. You'll never know til you try! [img]graemlins/ladyhearts.gif[/img]
Old 02-08-2005, 10:56 AM   #16
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

As far as how far apart we are... it isn't too bad. She goes to school in Louisville, and I'm here in Lexington. Neither of us, though, have a car, and people are notoriously unlikely to drive you to the other place as a favor...but thanks for the suggestions, and keep them coming!

Dear goodness, this forum is useful!

...well, except for the repeated demands that I "seppuku now..."

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 11:09 AM   #17
Blunderbuss
Zhentarim Guard

Perhaps just a present would be better. A card would mean writing a message. A message with the subtlety not to put on too much pressure but not too much as to make sure she gets the general idea. Which would be difficult. As for a present, well I think you have enough ideas from all the other posts in the thread.

Good luck!

[ 02-08-2005, 11:10 AM: Message edited by: Blunderbuss ]
Blunderbuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 11:14 AM   #18
Illumina Drathiran'ar
Apophis

5 Card Draw Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
quote:
Originally posted by Illumina Drathiran'ar:
I'm disappointed that you didn't vote the way I did, Alex...
Why, is Alex your role-model? [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]Hm.. No, but sometimes being wicked is lonely work. I'm disappointed that I was the only one who had picked the "I don't care" options.

http://xkcd.com/386/
http://www.xkcd.com/406/

My heart is like my coffee. Black, bitter, icy, and with a straw.
Illumina Drathiran'ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 12:21 PM   #19
Ilander
20th Level Warrior

Hey, I picked the "I don't care" option! You left me out !

Oh, wait...you don't care about me and my problems...lol

I think that I may try to arrange a special trip to Louisville if I can...the movie idea speaks to me, as does the stuffed animal.

Is that what you really want to say?
Ilander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 04:04 PM   #20
Spirits forever

yes, you should..
but really depends on the person...XD