Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2007, 11:49 AM   #1
dplax
Jack Burton

Default American's aren't stupid

A youtube gem. All to be taken with a grain of salt of course.

dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:51 AM   #2
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Default Re: American's aren't stupid

When does natural selection kick in?
Seriously though, they made quite an effort to find the dumbest people west of the atlantic.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

Yes well, not everyone wants to look at current events or basic math. I mean who would? But to say American's aren't stupid isn't to say that we ALL are smart.

If you really want to watch someone flounder over basic education questions you should watch "Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader" Get some really interesting people there. Hosted by Jeff Foxworthy.

Example: This thursday's episode they had a college fratboy and his bro's up. Question: What four words follow "My Country Tis of Thee" in the song 'America'?

One of them answered "Oh beautiful, for gracias" Wrong song and even if it were the right song it would still be wrong.

Added: Of course it could also be camera schock, where you're on camera and all signs of intelligence vanish instantly.
It's scary but you'll find ample idiots in any country. They're not just localised stateside.

Still the video is also kind of scary. I'm no genius but I'm still smarter than those people. And I've only got a highschool education so far.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com

Last edited by Firestormalpha; 12-01-2007 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Adding
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:35 PM   #4
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post
If you really want to watch someone flounder over basic education questions you should watch "Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader" Get some really interesting people there. Hosted by Jeff Foxworthy.
Yes, they broadcast that here as well. It's surprising to see how fast people forget everything they've learned in school. In the last episode I saw, the candidate had every single question wrong. Luckily, her son and his classmates bailed her out every time.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:48 PM   #5
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

But remember, most of these people don't have jobs that require these facts on a day to day basis. This is the issue I have with education in schools, too many general facts that will serve about 1-5% of your class in their lifetime if at all. A 5th grader knows it because he is constantly being tested on it, asked to revise it. His life is only about homework and teachers at that time. The only reason it's learned is because a teacher is directing him to learn it, and it will probably never come up again in any signifigant matter, trivia games aside.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:16 PM   #6
Ziroc
Ironworks Webmaster

Bow to the Meow

I knew every single question--and they were easy too.. Kinda scary some of those questions were so simple....
The Tonight show with Jay Leno does this (Don't like Leno--I like Conan) but man, most people didn't even know what the Vice President's name was!

Pretty scary.. Glad I have a high IQ I guess.

The Great Escape Studios - 2D/3D Modeling
www.tgeweb.com & Ziroc's Facebook Page
Visit My Flickr Photo Album
Ziroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:25 AM   #7
Bumbus
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziroc View Post
The Tonight show with Jay Leno does this (Don't like Leno--I like Conan) but man, most people didn't even know what the Vice President's name was!
The thing about the Tonight show questions is; they are usually about things that an adult should know. The game show, if I understand correctly, is asking adults to remember something they learned a long time ago.

I have a dial-up connection and I am not able to see the video, so I cannot comment on what happened in it.

Quote:
This is the issue I have with education in schools, too many general facts that will serve about 1-5% of your class in their lifetime if at all.
I do not necessarily agree with this statement. I have three children and the oldest is in 4th grade. It seems to me that the basic ideology the schools have is to teach a child not just things they will maybe use one day, but to teach them how to learn and retain knowledge. Once someone gets to higher education they are given a choice, sort of, on what they want to learn.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:13 AM   #8
Thoran
Galvatron

They've been doing these sorts of video's forever... you can go anywhere in the world and find people like this, too caught up in their own lives to care to learn what's going on around them.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 11:49 AM   #9
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoran View Post
They've been doing these sorts of video's forever... you can go anywhere in the world and find people like this, too caught up in their own lives to care to learn what's going on around them.
You're right, stupidity is universal. The people that made this video also did a 'British' version:

Of course, it isn't quite the same. All they have here is a bunch of teenage delinquents. Perhaps because everyone else knew the answers. I also missed questions like 'what is the religion of Buddist monks?' and 'what state is Kentucky Fried Chicken from?'.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:09 PM   #10
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Hmmm... if I were in Oz, I'd get a little nervous about all these people thinking that Iran and North Korea are located over there...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote