Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 01-08-2003, 11:18 AM   #1
Xen
Symbol of Moradin

Many times i have read thet Jaheira makes an excllent tank.Wich weapons end equipment do you suggest.

Thanks.

Xen

Xen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 12:07 PM   #2
Butterfingers
Drizzt Do'Urden

Well, speaking from my own experiences with just SoA and no ToB.

Used her twice. Once with sword and shield style, once with dual wielding.

Sword and Shield style. Let her use assorted shields and let her switch between Blackblood and Gnasher. She wore Shadow Dragon Armor, had the girdle with 19 str, Cloak of the Sewers, Boots of Avoidance, RoP +1, RoR, and the Pale Green Ioun Stone. In Latin, she would have been called Tankus Maximus. Also she had the amulet of poison protection.

Second go round. I had her dual wield, and, found out that Jay is a walking powerhouse. Most of the time she used Gnasher and Belm, and, she made mincemeat out of most anything. Other equipment. Helm of Defense, Aegar's Hide, Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Girdle of Fortitude, Boots of Etherealness, Cloak of Protection +2. Kaligun's Amulet of Magic Resistance. She had Blackblood and the Bone Blade Dagger for things that needed weapons with higher enchantment.

In really nasty battles, both times, Jay was usually unharmed for the most part. Her druid spells and buffs turned her into a juggernaut.
Butterfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2003, 12:23 PM   #3
Angelouss
Dungeon Master

i happen to like quaterstaves for her. no shortage of them. cause she's a multi fighter she's pretty much only hindered by weapons
Old 01-08-2003, 04:14 PM   #4
Klutz
Manshoon

I put Jaheira's proficiency points into Quarterstaff and Sling (she's already specialized in club). I used her mostly with club/shield and sling/shield. Early on I gave her the Staff Mace, which actually served quite well (2D4+2 dmg, one-handed, quarterstaff proficiency, and very cheap). Later her primary weapon was Blackblood and a shield (I think usually Shield of Harmony), and she was quite effective that way. She also had the Girdle of Hill Giant Strength and the Sling of Seeking (specialized in sling) to give her a nasty ranged attack also. On special occasions she would equip the Rod of Smiting, Staff of x Elemental Control, etc. With the Girdle I loaded her with the heaviest armor I could give her... I usually prefer plain old Full Plate + Ring of Protection over the higher AC armors. (Someone else was wearing the Red Dragon Scale.) In the Underdark though she wore the Drow Full Plate +5. Favorite spells were Call Woodland Beings, Insect Plague, and Summon Fire Elemental.

I never tried dual weapons with Jaheira, though if I had her in my party again I'd probably try dual-wielding Blackblood/Gnasher + Belm like Butterfingers suggested. (I generally prefer damage up front versus damage over time.) I've also heard some people had great success with her and the Impaler spear +3. You need to decide on spears early if you want them, though, because she starts out with no proficiency in spears.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:44 PM   #5
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Jaheira had the highest armor rating in my game - even better than Keldorn. I got her to -11 or -12. For the most part, she wore red dragon armor. Between stoneskins and a certain amulet that makes one immune to level drain, she's a decent tank. Add a good strength-granting item and she's wonderful.

She used sword + shield style, and giving her the small shield that prevents confusion or charm spells, along with high saves and other items, keeps her from being disabled very much at all. For a sword, I used Belm +2 when it would harm the critter I was fighting 'cause the extra attack is great. Unfortunately, I didn't find a better scimitar until ToB. Also, she carried a normal scimitar, and was the group's sole assassin of critters which can't be harmed by magic. As well, she carried staves which allowed magic spells - she would pull them out just to summon something or just to beat up on a golem and then put them right back.

Her second weapon was a sling - a good one - which damaged everything.

She was in a party with:
Keldorn, PC (Stalker), Aerie, Yoshi/Imoen, and Nalia. She was the second/third tank and quite good at it.

[edit] P.S.: Though some will disagree, I think her romance in SoA was well worth it and it has some great parts. I've heard it's buggy, but mine did fine. ToB romance w/ her is a bit less interesting (much less, in fact).

PS - I suggest you keep the absolute possible heaviest armor on her. I don't know if my game was bugged, but she could wear ANY armor and still retain abilities - even though the book says Druids are restricted on armor.

[ 01-08-2003, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: Timber Loftis ]
Old 01-09-2003, 07:11 AM   #6
Indemaijinj
Symbol of Cyric

She is mulitclassed fighter/druid.

It's the fighter part that allows her to use any armor, while it is the druid part that restricts her weapons.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:30 AM   #7
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Staff of Rhyn + 4
Helm of Charm Protection
Plate Mail Armour
Ring of Protection +1
Periphet of Proof Against Poison once you get it.

All available early in the game, all quite good.
Replace the Plate Mail with Red Dragon Scale when you get it. Replace the ROP with a +2 once you get one (they`re rare, though).

She will have a low AC (especially with her Druid Spells), will be able to hit anything that doesn`t have PFMW, complete immunity to Charm and Poison.
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 07:51 AM   #8
Decurion
The Magister

Yeah, I agree with Timber Loftis, I think that Jaheira's major plus is the fact that her armor class is so good, with red dragon or black dragon armor it drops like a frigging rock. I think the best shield is the saving grace shield (if I recall correctly you get it through the helm errands) because with that and a couple rings/amulets of protection you can drop her armour class to -12 or -13ish, prebuffs. At those rates, and if you throw in the boots of avoidance, she JUST, DOESN'T, GET, HIT, period. I use her to distract anything that I bothering me, archers, guards, cataclysmic events.... etc.
Decurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2003, 08:04 AM   #9
The Ozzman
Zhentarim Guard

DO NOT waste proficincies on Sword and Shield style for the love of god. Before you do anything else make sure jaheira has ++ in Quarter Staff and ++ in 2 handed weapon style. Then after that I would go ++ in Spear, and they maybe ++ in Scimitar. Buy the Staff or Rynn ASAP from the adventurer's mart and you will be set until you venture into the underdark. Then there you can find a decent Spear.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:03 AM   #10
Myrddin L'argenton
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by The Ozzman:
DO NOT waste proficincies on Sword and Shield style for the love of god. Before you do anything else make sure jaheira has ++ in Quarter Staff and ++ in 2 handed weapon style. Then after that I would go ++ in Spear, and they maybe ++ in Scimitar. Buy the Staff or Rynn ASAP from the adventurer's mart and you will be set until you venture into the underdark. Then there you can find a decent Spear.
Use the Harper pin on her and the Helm of Balduran as well. For weapons, either have her wielding a scimitar/club (anyone you want) in the sword and shield style with the medium shield that you get in frikraag's dungeon that protects from the elements. When you get to the last bit of SoA. Make sure that you have full proficiency in quarterstaffs and get the staff that the elven god gives you. That can charm animals and summon a monster to attack opponents. It's quite powerful.
White wild magic graven in every rock, for the white gold wielder to unleash or control. The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant<br />\'Let no man be unworthy of the angel that watches over him.\' Steven Donaldson<br />Accept who you are.<br />Lord Paladin of the Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart.<br />Walkthrough-online\'s new site<br />[url]\"http://forums.clankiller.com\" target=\"_blank\">http://forums.clankiller.com</a>
Myrddin L'argenton is offline   Reply With Quote