Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Classics > Wizards & Warriors Forum

Old 02-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #1
UncleJoe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Default Lock Up In Shrine Of Anephas

Hi Wyven, long time no see. Got a problem I didn't see anywhere else in the forum (but I could have missed it).

Playing the game on XP Pro SP3, 2 gig memory, DirectX 9c, NVIDIA 6150SE. In the Shrine of Anephas, Altar Room, when I grab the statue in the left (South East) corner, and begin moving it, I get a funny low pitch sound and the game locks up. Only way out is Control-Alt-Del.

In the past I've played the game 10 or 12 times on this and similar computers without any problems. And, in fact, until this incident, this game was running smoothly.

I reloaded each of the saved games from shortly before entering the Altar Room all the way back to Skull Castle but it always freezes at the exact same point. I've also uninstalled the game and reinstalled (with and without the patch), using the same saved games, but it always locks up. I've installed the game on my other computer (XP SP3, 4 gig RAM, DX9c, but a built in video system) and had the exact same problem.

So, I thinking the saved games are corrupt and possibly they corrupt my newly installed games - if that's possible. But what to do???? I'm not in love with the idea of starting over, going all the way to the Shrine, and then having the same thing happen. Ouch!

I'm open to suggestions and hoping one of the experts on this forum can offer something new.

Regards! And Thanks! in advance.
UncleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
Shadow Stranger

Default Re: Lock Up In Shrine Of Anephas

Try Compatibility Mode, right click on the Deep6.exe program while in Windows Explorer.
It might be a sound problem, try setting all sound to 0.

Edit:
On the files page of John Hubbard's site there are two W&W save games available for download. Load one of these saves and then try moving things in the Shrine of Anephas. This may clarify whether it is your save games that are at fault, or not.
Wizardry | Prepare Yourself for the Ultimate in Fantasy Games

Last edited by Shadow Stranger; 02-06-2014 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Add a link to John Hubbard's site.
Shadow Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:48 AM   #3
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Shadow Stranger's suggestions are good and I hope that will solve or at least reveal the cause of the problem.

Let us know how that goes!!

Wyv
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:51 PM   #4
UncleJoe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Shadow Stranger and Wyvern, tried both suggestions on one computer, nothing worked. On my older, normal computer, tried a bunch of different compatability settings but none worked. In fact, after the first time I loaded it, the game locked up and I can't even get to the first screen.

As for sound, while testing on the first computer, no sound at all made no difference at all.

This is all very odd because I've run the game under WinXP (with NO compatability settings!) for years with no problems at all. Now all of a sudden...bang! I'm dead.

I'm going to uninstall and reinstall (again!) and try sound first. Then the 2 files I borrowed. After that, I dunno. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the help!
UncleJoe
Old 02-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #5
Shadow Stranger

I only got this once, moving an Obelisk of Light, the cursor disappeared totally. Had to use Ctrl-Alt-Del. That was a one-off thing.
Moving the statues worked properly. I was able to select them, move them and unselect them easily whenever I wanted to.
I used the TREE END, game03.sav, save downloaded from the John Hubbard site.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
Shadow Stranger

I saved a game when the party was actually in the altar room. Then I shut down the game for the day. When I restarted and loaded the relevant save, it was one crash after another. Problem was not obvious the last time that I played the game. (If all else fails, it might or might not be possible to alter D6Prop.dat to make the statues something you can walk through or pick up.)
Old 02-13-2014, 04:21 PM   #7
UncleJoe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

OK, I give up! Without making any changes except to copy the saved games into the game folder (again!), the game works now. What!?! What'd I do....?

Well, it almost works anyway. No sound. I've fiddle with the sound controls but to no avail. Sure, I can play without sound, but I'd rather not. So, I hate to ask, but any suggestions?

By the way, the sound problem came about AFTER the game started playing again.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:41 PM   #8
UncleJoe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Oops! Yes, I just had another senior moment. Started working with the sound options again and noticed I had the Master Volumn set to Zero. Oh! Bumpted it up and, lo, I've got sound. Well, whatever my punishment is, I'll accept it gladly. Sorry 'bout all this guys.
But I'm really happy to have the game back. Yea!!!

Thanks Shadow Stranger and Wyvern! You're the best!!!!!