Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2001, 07:00 PM   #1
StarVid
Elminster

I searched for the thread, I knew I read it here some time ago. I'm trying to compare the swash and F/T to see what I'd rather play, without having to go through the bother of playing one halfway through getting sick of it, and then restarting.

I'm not necessarily looking for the most -powerful- class, but whatever one more fits my playing style. I don't know if I want to give up the backstab. Furthermore, I like having a thief, but also want to have someone that can hold their own in combat. But I don't see myself as picking up too many of the thieves high level abilities.

Overall, I plan to use my thief abilities to the fullest. I want to lay traps, use my stealth, maybe even detect some illusions. I figured that the Swash will give me the fast level advancement I would need to do well with my skills, but the F/T would be more prepped for combat and I can keep my backstab. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
StarVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 12:52 AM   #2
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

in case you didn't know: detect illusions is useless.

I would go fighter/thief, or go dual-class fighter/thief. A thief without backstabs wouldn't be a fun PC.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 08:00 AM   #3
StarVid
Elminster

why is detect illusions useless? It was last on my list of priorities for skills, but I'm wondering why I shouldn't even bother.
StarVid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 11:19 AM   #4
Tuor
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by floyd:

I would go fighter/thief, or go dual-class fighter/thief. A thief without backstabs wouldn't be a fun PC.
I heard Detect illusions is not useless because it helps you spot and disarm high level traps you wouldn't normally be able to tackle.

I'm sure someone will put me right if I've got that wrong

------------------
TUOR, Excrutiatingly Jolly Aerie executioner of the HADB and all round not so nice guy.
Tuor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 11:22 AM   #5
Tuor
Elminster

Quote:
Originally posted by floyd:

I heard Detect illusions is not useless because it helps you spot and disarm high level traps you wouldn't normally be able to tackle.

I'm sure someone will put me right if I've got that wrong

I prefer kensai/thief dual classed at 12th level then you get the decent fighting abilities (better than a swashbuckler even) you keep your backstab and you advance quick once you get off your kensai levels.

An as a bonus when you get use any item your kensai can wear armour-making him the most powerful non-mage character in the game.

------------------
TUOR, Excrutiatingly Jolly Aerie executioner of the HADB and all round not so nice guy.
Tuor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2001, 10:06 PM   #6
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by StarVid:
why is detect illusions useless? It was last on my list of priorities for skills, but I'm wondering why I shouldn't even bother.
All you get out of it is a chance to detect hidden doors - which, if you wait a bit, any party member can do anyway - and a chance to dispel illusions such as mirror image, invisibility, etc. I've never had a high enough skill in it to do any serious dispelling of invisible enemies, but I've heard that it isn't very reliable in that sense. My assassin only has 15 points per level, so I'm sure not gonna risk it.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 09:18 PM   #7
Sorcerer Alex

Fighter/thief is better in my opinion, that way you get all the abilities

------------------

Formidable Flirty Fishy Sorcerer of the HADB
Old 10-31-2001, 02:32 PM   #8
Darth Bob
Drow Warrior

Well, while the swash is pretty cool, dont get to excited about them, they are still restircted to normal thief armor, so theyll be taking some damage, but a fighter/theif can but without all the bonuses, and they level twice as slowly. So in the end its up to you, wiegh the +'s and -'s of the swash and F/T and see which one is colser to what your looking for
Darth Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2001, 12:25 PM   #9
Nifft the Nimble

Fighter/Thief all the way! You can be a Half-Orc and start with 19 Str and 19 Con. That's some nice bonus damage to throw into a backstab multiplier

As a Fighter/Thief you'll get three of the best High Level Abilities in the game: Greater Whirlwind, Use Any Item and Spike Trap.

With some Pickpocketing skill and Use Any Item you've got a lot of wands at your disposal.

Finally a Fighter/Thief is a LOT of fun as a scout. You can sneak up ahead and take care of small problems by yourself.

-- Nifft
Nifft the Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote