Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2008, 05:31 PM   #11
Balintherlas
Symbol of Cyric

Default Re: Any english term for this?

I've seen what your describing in a couple movies before, namely "Big Trouble in Little China" but I always thought the swordsman did not purposely let the other swordsman kill themselves.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:49 PM   #12
Thoran
Galvatron

So I've thought about it a bit more... the thing is that in Western History, swordfighting that is most analogous to the Japanese Tradition (heavy weapon and armored warrior) has no form of fighting that is stylized to the extent that you describe (each warrior takes a turn taking a single stroke).

HOWEVER... if you look to more modern times (Renaissance instead of Medieval), you CAN find such a style. It’s called Fencing. The weapons and style are totally different than either Medieval combat or the Japanese tradition… but it does have the same trading of stroke formality. Even today... olympic fencing follows the same form.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:18 PM   #13
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

But could you consider fencing as actual combat? Fencing does refer to the combat itself but is heavily connotated with the sport. And in the context given, 'Let's Fence' just doesn't seem to cut it.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:31 PM   #14
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

"After fighting several hours in the tower with victory seemingly still far away. Henry decided to end their fight by suggesting a "duel"."

Henry chose the path of chivalry and signaled to James, a "duel" between us for victory.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.
Felix The Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:11 AM   #15
Thoran
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumanoir View Post
But could you consider fencing as actual combat? Fencing does refer to the combat itself but is heavily connotated with the sport. And in the context given, 'Let's Fence' just doesn't seem to cut it.
Fencing has become sport, just like the Japanese forms have... but originally fencing was a very deadly pastime, an unblunted foil is likely the most dangerous 'sword' type weapon ever created for one on one combat (it's a bit different from a sword because it's got no edge... just a point). The term fencing also includes other lightweight blades... some edged and some not (Rapier is another one most have heard of), but the foil is probably the most dangerous of the lot.

'Duel' is a broader term that could be any sort of one on one confrontation.

Last edited by Thoran; 03-15-2008 at 09:13 AM.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:35 AM   #16
Kakero
40th Level Warrior

Well, blow me down! I was actually a member of my former secondary school's Fencing club for 4 years. I wasn't really that active in it but i did learn some of the Fencing stuff. Do you know that in Chinese they call it "Xi Yang Jian" ? Which mean "Western Swords" .

Anyway, you can view movies such as The Three Musketeer (or something similar to that name) , Count of Monte Cristo or even The Legend of Zorro for fights similar to Fencing.
Kakero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:16 AM   #17
Beaumanoir
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoran View Post
Fencing has become sport, just like the Japanese forms have... but originally fencing was a very deadly pastime, an unblunted foil is likely the most dangerous 'sword' type weapon ever created for one on one combat (it's a bit different from a sword because it's got no edge... just a point). The term fencing also includes other lightweight blades... some edged and some not (Rapier is another one most have heard of), but the foil is probably the most dangerous of the lot.

'Duel' is a broader term that could be any sort of one on one confrontation.
Yep - just like I said, I know it refers to the combat, but it's a bit too heavily connotated with the sport, so I'm not sure how well it would work. I feel like I'm repeating myself here.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:00 AM   #18
Bumbus
Dungeon Master

I think using the Japanese word is appropriate. American English is filled with words and expressions that are not “English” per say. It also seems to me that some words or phrases just don’t translate into other languages; the actual meaning gets lost.

The only problem I can see with this particular situation is a good number of your readers may not know what a “battojutsu” is or what the terms are as far as winning and loosing.

I suppose it could also be “out of context” so to speak, if the story is set in an inappropriate time period and/or the people involved would have no way of knowing Japanese fighting stiles.