Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2008, 04:47 PM   #11
Thoran
Galvatron

Default Re: HD DVD is dead

The only ways that HD-DVD was better than Blu-Ray was cost (less expensive to manufacture) and in the 'Add-on software' category, where it was clearly superior.

On the other hand, Blu-Ray had the edge in capacity and ultimate audio quality (only relevant if you're a total audiophile).

In all other ways the two formats were identical... and there weren't really enough difference to justify the 'format war' in the first place - toshiba and sony should have sat down and hashed out a common format.

In the end... the PS3 decided the event, insuring that Blu-Ray sales were always 2-1 ahead of HD-DVD and more than offsetting the price advantage HD-DVD had in standalone units.

IMO Sony traded the console gaming crown for the video format crown because forcing Blu-Ray into the PS3 added a LOT of cost and was a good part of the reason why the PS3 will never win the console crown this time around.

I think it was a bad decision... but then again... once they start raking in the blu-ray licensing dollars it might not look so horrible.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:39 AM   #12
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

I liked the name HD-DVD better. It sounds functional. A product called HD-DVD might not be very pretty, but it does what it's advertised to do and doesn't break easily. Whereas BluRay sounds like a slick, streamlined piece of translucent plastic that doesn't work.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:46 AM   #13
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

This should sum it up nicely for you guys:

Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:35 AM   #14
Target
Red Dragon

Is there a 'need' to get a new DVD player, or will they continue to sell 'normal' DVD's?

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:38 AM   #15
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion

I'm sure DVD has a few more years, but it will be phased out over time.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #16
Thoran
Galvatron

It's going to be a long time before Standard DVD's die. The biggest issue is that only a small minority of TV's in the world are HD... and until that changes, the vast majority of movie purchases will be plain old DVD.

I would expect to see DVD's around for 5-10 more years at least.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:15 PM   #17
Spirits Reborn
Anubis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoran View Post
It's going to be a long time before Standard DVD's die. The biggest issue is that only a small minority of TV's in the world are HD... and until that changes, the vast majority of movie purchases will be plain old DVD.

I would expect to see DVD's around for 5-10 more years at least.

Although you make a valid point, you do remember that VHS was phased out in U.S alot earlier than other countries and so forth.

So I actually wouldn't be surprised to see dvd being phased out earlier than 5-10 years.
Spirits Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:52 AM   #18
Target
Red Dragon

Oh great, so we'll all have to buy the films we like again!!
Do these new formats really cost so much more to produce?

If you can keep your head when all around are loosing theirs...you probably haven’t grasped the situation!!
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:14 AM   #19
wellard
Dracolisk

I believe the disks are a lot more expensive because they are a lot thinner and need a protective coat to prevent damage.

fossils - natures way of laughing at creationists for over 3 billion years
wellard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:53 AM   #20
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Microsoft has offically canned HD-DVD, it's all over

Quote:
As a result of recent decisions made by Toshiba, Hollywood studios, and retailers, Microsoft plans to withdraw from HD DVD. Xbox will no longer manufacture new HD DVD players for the Xbox 360, but we will continue to provide standard product and warranty support for all Xbox 360 HD DVD Players in the market. As we stated earlier, we do not believe this decision will have any material impact on the Xbox 360 platform or our position in the marketplace. HD DVD is one of the several ways we offer a high definition experience to consumers and we will continue to give consumers the choice to enjoy digital distribution of high definition movies and TV shows directly to their living room, along with playback of the DVD movies they already own
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote