Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2007, 09:02 AM   #1
dplax
Jack Burton

Default US trip (this July)

I don't post often any more here in GD, but some oldies might still remember me. I'm finishing university in June 2008 and to "celebrate" finally finishing studying I'm planning on making a trip to the States in July.

Details are still very modifiable, the only thing I'm sort of sure is that I'll fly in to the East Coast and fly back from the West Coast and moving roughly westwards between the two. I don't know yet how I'll be moving (train? hired car? flying?) but I will be.

Now if any one from here would be interested in meeting up while I am in the States I can try working certain stops into the itinerary. So, either just post here or PM me, and be sure to tell me whenabouts in July things would be good for you and which part of the US you are in.

I'd also be very appreciative of sofas I can crash on along the way.

Last edited by dplax; 04-05-2008 at 03:56 AM.
dplax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 01:18 PM   #2
Elif Godson
Dracolich

Default Re: US trip (next July)

nice, any plans to come to Tampa? I know Z lives in Lakeland.
Elif Godson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
dplax
Jack Burton

It all depends on where there are people to visit and places to see. I only vaguely know the start and end points, what's between...I have no idea.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:10 PM   #4
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

I'm in Northern Virginia (Alexandria). It's east, but not on the coast.

Reality Show Recaps
Ladyzekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:06 AM   #5
Spirits Reborn
Anubis

whoa?! Lady z you're in alexandria?

I'm in rockville, MD, we should all meet up in the capitol area, and show Dplax around.
Spirits Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:21 AM   #6
Thoran
Galvatron

Blah... you don't want to go to DC... nothing there but big marble buildings and even bigger political ego's...

Actually it's a pretty good place to start... but I would make sure to get up to NYC also, and then head West.

If the idea is to see the country, I suggest rail. There used to be an Amtrack ticket that let you get on and off pretty much anytime you want. It's fairly expensive but gives you a lot of options. Either that or rent a car, although a cross country point to point (non-roundtrip) will REALLY cost you.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:11 PM   #7
dplax
Jack Burton

FYI: I've already been in NYC, Washington DC and Niagara Falls and I've seen what is to be seen there. NYC is considered a possible starting point because I'd be looking into meeting someone there.

Oh and yes...point to point car renting...the website I checked gave 7k USD...

Old 12-16-2007, 09:03 PM   #8
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

If there is any time at all to head down to Florida to see IW headquarters, stop in NC so I can buy you a lunch or something.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:16 PM   #9
Thoran
Galvatron

If you've already been to the big NE cities then don't waste too much time at it. You might think about flying into Montreal (great city) and taking the Via to Toronto (another great city)... and from there it's a nice drive (or a very short flight) to Chicago (my favorite East Coast city). Just make sure all your paperwork is in order at the border - it's a lot tougher to get through than it used to be.

In Chicago you can hop a train to Cali - there's two options that I'm aware of, one that heads pretty straight west and ends up near San Francisco (great city to visit) and one that heads diagonally southwest to Texas then West to LA. I've taken the southern route a couple times and it's always been a great time.

Of course if you're like me you'd be more interested in getting AWAY from cities... in that case there's really outstanding rugged and distance hiking all the way across the country. Near me there's the Adirondacks, which has some of the most challenging hiking in the country, as well as the Presidential Range in New England. To the South there's the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Ozarks in the mid-west. Of course in the west there's the Rockies and Sierras - if you like the outdoors there's nothing like hiking in Sequoia. Also very high on a hikers list would be Death Valley (in the winter anyway), and Joshua Tree National Park. You can find Hostels in many places that will help keep your travel costs down, not as many as you find in Europe though so plan ahead - don't expect to easily find them.

Last edited by Thoran; 12-17-2007 at 12:23 PM.
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:22 PM   #10
dplax
Jack Burton

Ooh, lots of nice info. Thanks Thoran!

*goes off to plot about the trip*