Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 03:09 PM   #11
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Default Re: What book are you reading?

Currently reading Frankenstein. I've seen better storytelling, but the concept is fascinating.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:57 PM   #12
Kyrvias
Lord Ao

Currently, I'm about halfway through I am America. And so can you! by Stephen Colbert. It's... amazing, to say the least.

Quote:
Posted By: Stephen Colbert
A tale of Two Cities? Why couldn't they make it about one city? It would go like this: "They were the best of times..

THE END
Kyrvias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:05 PM   #13
Thoran
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestormalpha View Post
At the moment halfway through volume 2 of Otherland: River of Blue Fire by Tad Williams.

Got off to kind of a dry start which was a little disappointing after City of Golden Shadow, but it recovered nicely before too long.
Great author... I've devoured every novel the guy has written, and he's solid all the way around. IMO the Otherland series was probably the most challenging work he's produced, and for the most part he did a great job (with a few hiccups here and there like you mentioned).

I'm currently reading a series by Harry Harrison (a new author for me), I'm about halfway through the first book (The Hammer and the Cross) and I've been VERY impressed thus far. I'd term the style to be Historical Fantasy or maybe Alternate Reality (although there's a bit too much fantasy to fit in with most Alternate Reality genre novels).
Thoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:35 PM   #14
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Gods... nothing much for fun reading these days... Jeffrey Gitomer's Little Black Book of Connections is on my desk here, with two of his other books (Little Green Book of Getting Your Way, Little Red Book of Selling) beneath it. Just finished Zig Ziglar's autobiography (Zig)... quite a good read, and worth having in many ways.

Aside from that, I'm reading the User Guide and Hint Book to Lords of Magic (go, go classic gaming!).... and working on my own next book. Time's a-wastin'!
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Bungleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:50 AM   #15
Iron Greasel
Fzoul Chembryl

Punched through The Year of the Hare by Arto Paasilinna and American Gods by Neil Gaiman during the weekend. Both were great.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:21 PM   #16
Zink Whistlefly

I'm almost done with book 2 of the Hunter's Blades trilogy. I've read most of Salvatore's work now and must admit that I enjoy his writing. What's a good alternative that I can branch away from him with? Suggestions welcome.
Zink Whistlefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:09 PM   #17
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

If you're looking for more DnD, try the works of Elaine Cunningham. I found her Starlight and Shadows trilogy quite enjoyable. Also, anything written by John Marco is solid.
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:40 PM   #18
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Arrow Re: What book are you reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zink Whistlefly View Post
I'm almost done with book 2 of the Hunter's Blades trilogy. I've read most of Salvatore's work now and must admit that I enjoy his writing. What's a good alternative that I can branch away from him with? Suggestions welcome.
When you say you read most of his work, do you mean his Forgotten Realms work, or all his published work?
Old 11-30-2007, 02:17 AM   #19
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

I'd try some Dragonlance stuff maybe if you're looking to get away from RAS. He's good but his writing is a little dry. I mean his develepment is solid but I always feel he is lacking something in his storytelling abilities. I want to say it's lacking "heart" but in the broader sense.

Despite some of the DL novels being aimed at a younger audience, I find that writers such as Weis and Hickman bring such charm to their characters that I can't put the books down. It's a breath of fresh air after dealing with Drizzt and Cadderly all day. Elaine Cunningham's trilogy is a great one too as Dreamer mentioned, although lately her writing has (IMO) changed for the worse, but the early stuff with Liriel Baenre and co. is not to be missed. Avoid Ed Greenwood at all costs. He can make corebooks but not novels.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:27 AM   #20
Zink Whistlefly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvian View Post
When you say you read most of his work, do you mean his Forgotten Realms work, or all his published work?
Sorry I was a little vague there - I've read most of his Forgotten Realms Drizzt work. Icewind Dale, Dark Elf, Legacy of the Drow, Hunter's Blades, Paths of Darkness etc. He's done a lot of Star Wars writing too hasn't he? Anything else worth a look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritWarrior View Post
I'd try some Dragonlance stuff maybe if you're looking to get away from RAS. He's good but his writing is a little dry. I mean his develepment is solid but I always feel he is lacking something in his storytelling abilities. I want to say it's lacking "heart" but in the broader sense.

Despite some of the DL novels being aimed at a younger audience, I find that writers such as Weis and Hickman bring such charm to their characters that I can't put the books down. It's a breath of fresh air after dealing with Drizzt and Cadderly all day. Elaine Cunningham's trilogy is a great one too as Dreamer mentioned, although lately her writing has (IMO) changed for the worse, but the early stuff with Liriel Baenre and co. is not to be missed. Avoid Ed Greenwood at all costs. He can make corebooks but not novels.
Thanks I'll take a look at some of the DL stuff then!
Zink Whistlefly is offline   Reply With Quote