Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2006, 01:16 PM   #1
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

After having finished the game with a fighter and a cleric, I'm currently considering giving it another shot with a wizard, since I think the greater dependancy on spells will provide a greater challenge. I am, however, somewhat intimidated by the large amount of spell-enhancing feats that are available. Any suggestions on which to pick?

[ 02-26-2006, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: Dreamer128 ]
Dreamer128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 01:37 PM   #2
Legolas
Jack Burton

Spell Penetration feats are a must in most cases. Other than that, Evocation and Necromancy are most worth focussing in. Illusion, Transmutation and Enchantment focusses can be useful in specific cases, the other schools are generally not interesting enough.
The Potion, Scroll and Wand enhancement feats are usually not worth it.
As for Metamagic, it depends on circumstance. Silent Spell is usually not that great. Still Spell works wonders if you are a bard or otherwise intend to use armor. Empower Spell is a must, and Extend and Maximize Spell are also quite valuable. Quicken Spell is most useful if you intend to take the Automatic Quicken feats in the epic levels.

Say NO to the Trouser Tyranny!
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 02:05 PM   #3
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Hm.. looks like I'll be sorely lacking for quick-keys. Thanks Legolas.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:40 PM   #4
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Yeah, there are no where near enough quickslots for a dedicated spell caster. The bright side is that in single player, you can pause to find the spells you want.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:21 PM   #5
chimaera
Dungeon Master

Quicken Spell is fairly useless:
- does not stack with Haste,
- does not work as advised, spells can be interrupted.
For a wizard, who gets a lot of feats, Weapon Proficiency: Martial at the beginning of his wizardly career is very useful. Low level spellcasters are better off meleeing then fireballing anyway.

[ 02-27-2006, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: chimaera ]
chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 06:33 AM   #6
Legolas
Jack Burton

As to the (Improved) Combat Casting feats, they may or may not be useful depending on your style.
Most consider the feats to be essential, however.
Legolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:42 AM   #7
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

Most of the metamagic feats never get used by my spellcasters, but that's as stated above, my style tends towards melee, although I tend to use staffs with wizard types. Might as well get as much damage as possible out of melee attacks.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:49 PM   #8
Dave G
Elite Waterdeep Guard

If you're going the OC, don't forget to get the Rod of Frost at the beginning (unlimited Ray of Frost castings per day. And might I recommend the panther familiar?

Metamagic feats aren't that great, considering the cost. Quickenspell is useful only in that you can then take Autoquicken in epic levels. That only matters in HotU though.
Old 03-04-2006, 05:32 AM   #9
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

Thanks for the advice guys. That Rod of Frost is indeed very handy in the beginning, but instead of the panther I've taken the mini-beholder as familiar. I use normal summons and Dealan red-tiger as Tanks, which also eliminates the need for my wizard to get into melee. I'm also considering taking some levels in pale-master. A good idea?
Old 03-04-2006, 06:28 AM   #10
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

It can be a powerful addition to a mage. I'll leave the rest of the commentary to the more knowledeable about Arcane classes, but immunity to crits can never be a bad thing...