Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2 Also SoU & HotU Forum
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2006, 07:12 AM   #1
Zink Whistlefly

I'm giving a pure classed Wizard a go, and the initiative system is starting to get on my nerves.

He's a weedy gnome, so relies on his trusty light crossbow to pick the enemies off when his spells have been exhausted. The issue I have is that upon spotting an enemy (thus beginning the initiative cycle) he will automatically shoot his crossbow if he rolls a higher initiative than the enemy (which will most likely miss because his AB sucks) - this of course means that when I actually want to launch a nice Scintillating Sphere over his way, I have to wait a good 5+ seconds until I can even begin to cast the spell because my action has already been used up for that round by shooting his crossbow, even though I commanded no such thing.

Does this mean that using an unarmed wizard is the only way to prevent this (is it even preventable at all?) or is there something I can do to stop him from auto attacking enemies based on the initiative roll?

[ 03-13-2006, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: Zink Whistlefly ]
Zink Whistlefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 07:35 AM   #2
ZFR
Legion Symbol

try giving him a mellee weapon by default. only switch to crossbow when you actually want to fire it, then switch back to mellee if you're using spells.

On a side notice, is it always that your character will attack enemies when he sees them? I'm not 100% sure, but I think mine doesn't attack unless specifically ordered to do so...
Old 03-13-2006, 07:52 AM   #3
Zink Whistlefly

Thanks ZFR - I'll give the melee weapon a try (although it is annoying that I can't keep my primary weapon equipped at all times).

He doesn't automatically attack enemies when he sees them - he only shoots when initiative is rolled for the current encounter, which will result in him firing without me telling him to if (and only if) he gets a better roll.
Zink Whistlefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:28 AM   #4
robertthebard
Xanathar Thieves Guild

I think in those instances, the enemy might have spotted you. I've only seen that kind of behavior from my ranged chars when they were spotted and won initiative. I'd stick to the melee weapon suggestion above, and equip the bow when you are ready to engage that way.
robertthebard is offline   Reply With Quote