Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 11:24 PM   #41
Chewbacca
Zartan

You should be able to just click on the DVD drive Icon in My Computer to see the files and drag them over to your HD to copy them back. I copy all my MPEG4 files onto DVD using copytoDVD and copy them back to my HD when I need a movie.

[ 05-31-2005, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: Chewbacca ]
Old 06-01-2005, 12:16 AM   #42
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Doesn't work...

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:47 AM   #43
Chewbacca
Zartan

That's weird! The software usually indicates if a burn goes bad with an error message. What kind of media are you using? How long did the burn take? Have you tried it again with a new blank disk in case the first disk was a coaster?

Oh, yeah! Did you try removing the burned disk from the drive and re-inserting it? I just recalled something like this happened to me once and it was fixed after I ejected and re-inserted to disk. In this case the burned disk appeared empty at first and then upon re-load the files were present.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:54 AM   #44
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I'll try it again with a new disc.

Memnoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 02:13 AM   #45
Jorath Calar
Harper

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
ROFL, what are you on...
You don't want to know... [img]smile.gif[/img]

I was exaggerating a bit... but my experience is that cable are much slower than say usb.

Any way I use Roxio Media creator, it came with my DVD burner and is amazingly easy and very good, even my dad can write discs in it... and that saying a lot... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 02:14 AM   #46
Seraph
Quintesson

If you do decide get an extrenal hard drive and try to bring it to the US you might want to be careful about how you get it there. I don't think the scanners used in the airports are a problem but I know the ones used by the US Postal Service can screw up magnetic media like audio tapes and floppy disks, so they probably wouldn't be very healthy for a hard disk.
Seraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 06:27 AM   #47
Azeral
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
Hmmm rereading the thread title...
why don't you just remove your HD and take it with you? It's smaller than a laptop and just install it into your new PC over there, if you get one?
Hmm. Good idea except for the fact that it probably won't fit into my new laptop, eh. [/QUOTE]Why not just buy an external hardrive case and put your current hardrive into it?
Old 06-01-2005, 08:30 AM   #48
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Memsie, I'd recommend whatever route you go, have backups. I think cd/dvd or the portable drives would do, but have the backups as you've no idea how your laptop and it's contents will travel or if anything will happen enroute to your new domicile. [img]smile.gif[/img] I recall our friend Animal having a laptop decimated and it's contents pretty much lost when he went through customs and I'd swear it was in Boston, but don't quote me!

So whatever way you move your data, have a backup!

[ 06-01-2005, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]
Old 06-01-2005, 08:32 AM   #49
Lady Sedai
Banned User

For the record, Mems...Vasky didn't run me off. It was my bedtime.

Besides, I know what a softie he *really* is. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

It seems Chewy has you on the right track now for copying. If you are still having trouble reading the disc after copying, I can ask Hiram what the trouble may be and/or I can play around with mine here to see what it takes to read it and to copy files back to the computer. Sometimes, just having someone elsewhere going through the motions with you helps the troubleshooting process. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Lady Sedai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:33 AM   #50
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Chewy, I tried that Copy To DVD thing and it'll do for now, in terms of making backups. As for data transfer if I end up getting my laptop here I'll go with Vask's suggestion of using a cable, if I have to buy it in the US I'll shell out on a USB HD. That'll keep 'em all happy, including myself.
Sounds like a plan! I might have an option for lower priced laptop but have to do some checking Mems. If anything comes of it, I'll let you know. [img]smile.gif[/img]