Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 03-04-2002, 03:50 PM   #1
Rank
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Anybody else looking forward to this game? i played m&m7 and liked it didn't get a chance to have ago at m&m8, but heard it was pretty sucky anyway. I hope m&m9 does well
Old 03-04-2002, 03:54 PM   #2
Dreamer128
Dracolisk

I hear it has an all new graphical engine, about time too.
Old 03-04-2002, 05:59 PM   #3
jtqbe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

M&M 9 (IX?) is one of the games I'm really looking forward to seeing this year (Morrowind is the other). I've heard some trash talk about it (it's going to be rushed out the door; graphics are poor; etc) but I suspect that M&M fans will flock to it. I think that the graphics look fine, and in my experience the M&M games have been some of the most stable games I've seen in recent years. M&M VI is still one of my all-time favorite games, probably due to the first-person viewpoint and freedom to explore (I loved Daggerfall too); I'll occasionally have dreams about exploring the coastline around New Sorpigal. It's pretty sad, really.

Anyway, I think/hope that M&M 9 will be as enjoyable as the others!
Old 03-05-2002, 12:53 AM   #4
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

I did not find m&m8 that bad. The dungeons were a little small in comparison to m&m6 and 7 but i liked it. As for m&m9, i heard that they might go multiplayer. I hope that they don't forget about the singleplayer option. Multiplayer is fine but i tend more to the singleplayer style.
Old 03-05-2002, 01:44 AM   #5
fable
Quintesson

I didn't like M&M 8, at all: it was so much (to me) of a Monty Haul--as well as having very superficial dungeons, and a lot less quests than its two predecessors. M&M 9 if supposed to feature a much more modern engine, along with a complete revamping of classes and spells, plus the ability to customize and change character classes as your party members progress. This bodes well.

It's going to hit, supposedly, about the same time as Morrowind, while IWD2 and Dungeon Siege are set for May. Then, we've got NWN in September, and Bioware's Star Wars CRPG for Lucasarts in December. It's going to be a pretty fair year for CRPGs. [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 03-05-2002: Message edited by: fable ]

Old 03-07-2002, 11:16 AM   #6
fable
Quintesson

I've just seen some screens, and the new Lithtech engine really adds some fantastic detail and textures. The NWC staff is also claiming the following:

Elaborate, BG2-like dialog trees.

A variety of advanced monster AIs. That would be nice, as M&M monster AIs in the past have been braindead (and unable even to move out of range when on the opposite side of a river from your party).

A new spell system.

A new professions system. Characters begin as "might" or "magic," and then progress through at least two promotions, until they choose one of eight professions.

Approximately 60 quests. 40-60 hours of gameplay.

Space for 2 party NPCs to join your group of four.

It's also apparent from screens I've seen that you'll be able to create party formations. Hitherto, all characters have been in a straight line, left to right.

Still figured for end of March release.
Old 03-07-2002, 11:49 AM   #7
skywalker
Banned User

I've played and liked all the Might & Magic games from I to VIII. They ended up being mostly M.O.T.S., but I liked them anyway. I really liked having a dragon in my party in the last game!

Mark
Old 03-07-2002, 01:49 PM   #8
jtqbe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Hey, I just saw over at Gone Gold that the final release candidates for M&M 9 and HOMM 4 have been handed in for final testing. Hopefully they'll go gold soon. . .

You know, there's been a lot of complaining and whining about the fact that the last 3 M&M games have used the same engine. So what? If you liked one of them, wouldn't you rather have MOTS now rather than only getting one game and waiting several years for the next one with fancier graphics? CRPG players tend not to care as much about the glitz anyway.
Old 03-07-2002, 07:46 PM   #9
JR Jansen
Drizzt Do'Urden

quote:
Originally posted by jtqbe:
Hey, I just saw over at Gone Gold that the final release candidates for M&M 9 and HOMM 4 have been handed in for final testing. Hopefully they'll go gold soon. . .

You know, there's been a lot of complaining and whining about the fact that the last 3 M&M games have used the same engine. So what? If you liked one of them, wouldn't you rather have MOTS now rather than only getting one game and waiting several years for the next one with fancier graphics? CRPG players tend not to care as much about the glitz anyway.

Well, that's right. Graphics are great but not the most important thing in a game, imo.
Old 03-07-2002, 08:58 PM   #10
jtqbe
Elite Waterdeep Guard

It seems like a lot of us CRPG old timers (I started with Ultima in '81) hold the attitude that gameplay is more important than glitziness--because 10 and 15 years ago, gameplay was pretty much all we had! Sure, graphics are nice: I remember being amazed by Ultima Underworld and Daggerfall, and I still have fond memories of exploring Enroth in M&M VI. But RPGs are more about content than flash. If you want empty flash, play a first-person shooter (where "complexity" means that you have to sneak around sometimes instead of blasting your way in). If you want depth, you won't worry about the fact that a CRPG has last year's engine or (horror) even an older one, because the story and the stats will be more important. Give me a nice deep RPG any day; I can't take the shallow shooters any more!