Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Miscellaneous Games (RPG or not)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2006, 01:09 AM   #1
Klorox
Symbol of Cyric

I'm looking for a new game. I wouldn't mind going for a slightly older game (a friend of mine is recommending Final Fantasy 7), so just lemme know what you're thinking!

TIA!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-- Edmund Burke
Klorox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:33 AM   #2
Griefmaker
The Magister

Betrayal at Krondor. It is from 1994, so the graphics and music are dated, but the story was written by Raymond Fiest(sp?) and I have always thought it to be a flat out classic. Plus, it allows you to explore almost the entire map in most chapters, so you can run off the beaten path and look for goodies, fight baddies, pursue side quests, etc. One thing that is nice is that events in the world change each chapter, so even though you explored every possible corner in the first chapter, many areas will be different with each new chapter meaning that you pretty much have a new map to explore each chapter (although many things do stay the same and chests do not reset each chapter).

Skills are much like morrowind, where they improve with use. You do not get to create your own character, but you do get to play with up to 5 (i think) different characters at various times.

I could go on (obviously this is one of my all-time favorite games), but then I would ramble even more. This is definitely an old school RPG, but it rocks.

Also, another game that got me back into computer gaming about 4 years ago was Arcanum (my second all-time favorite game). It is sort of a fantasy Fallout game. Graphics aren't anything special nor is sound, but the gameplay is fantastic. Quests are fun, and character generation is a blast--you can really do anything or be anything you want. Heck, my favorite character that i have ever made for Arcanum was "Jack the Stripper"--a friendly non-combative person who was allergic to clothes and only wanted people to love him. It was a riot! I think it is possible that this game has more replayability than morrowind, fallout, and the like. Definitely fun. It is an older game as well (2000 maybe?)

Anyway, that's my 2 cents [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ 09-08-2006, 01:41 AM: Message edited by: Griefmaker ]
Old 09-08-2006, 01:41 AM   #3
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I don't know about best computer rpg, but here are some I liked:

Septera Core if you want a traditional party based RPG. It's old now so I don't know if you could actually find it easily.

Anachronox which is not a traditional rpg at all but is pretty fun, althought I haven't finished it. I rarely finish games these days.

KOTOR One of my favorite computer rpg, I played it trough at least 4 times, it has to be a record for me.

KOTOR2 same as above.

Divine Divinity If you're looking for an action rpg.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Arcanum was nice, it's a buggy fantasy version of Fallout, but it take some time getting used to it. Whe I first bought and tried it I hated it and shelved it, a year later I got it out and actually enjoyed it this time.

[ 09-08-2006, 01:43 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 09-08-2006, 07:15 AM   #4
Nightwing
Baaz Draconian

Wizardry 8 is the best turned based RPG I have ever played. Jagged alliance is turned based stratagy squad level combat that is well worth a go as well as Arcanum
Old 09-08-2006, 12:16 PM   #5
Zarr
Symbol of Cyric

Quote:
Originally posted by Klorox:
I'm looking for a new game. I wouldn't mind going for a slightly older game (a friend of mine is recommending Final Fantasy 7), so just lemme know what you're thinking!

TIA!
Well , I've played FFVII on PSone and it is a great game. I used to play it like mad for a good few years when it was released. If you can get it, go for it. The story is good and the combat (turn based) is good as well. Also the materia system is one of the most innovative systems used in a console RPG.

There is also quite alot of nice sidequests, such as Chocobo breeding, the battle arena and some optional areas, plus two hidden NPC's.

The only real downside is the game is very easy, especially if you take the time to do all the side quests/get all the materias. In my old save I can defeat the end boss with one summon spell. However there are some secret optional bosses, known as "weapons" that require you to work on leveling your characters quite alot that appear later in the game. So basically I recommend this game!
Old 09-08-2006, 01:16 PM   #6
Lavindathar
Harper

I dont know how people can give any other answer apart from FF7 for this question.

It is the best RPG ever made, out of old games and new. FF8/9/10/10-2 are all good as well, so are the older 1-6.

I also like all the BG/IWD/NWN games, and KOTOR/2.

All great.

But none compare to FF7.

And Zell, the game is not too easy.

Without a guide, it's downright hard. You can beat Seph in the final battle due to KOTR summon, and either Mime or 4x. A first time player, without a guide will struggle like mad to get them. They'll struggle like mad to beat either Ruby or Emerald. Even getting a Gold Chocobo is very hard first run through.

FF7 became easy due to players wanting to have everything, reading guides, and then doing it.

Play through without a guide, and this game had no equal.

[ 09-08-2006, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: Lavindathar ]
Old 09-08-2006, 08:28 PM   #7
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

When I first played the game, I had no trouble getting KOTR, or beating the optional bosses. Anyone that's familiar with rpgs and explore every corners should have no troubles.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:07 AM   #8
JrKASperov
Fzoul Chembryl

Fallout I, nothing beats the RPGness of this game except II, but it's athmosphere and story are way better.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:46 AM   #9
Lavindathar
Harper

Luvian, I find that quite incredible!!! (not saying you didnt do it!)

But, obtaining the 3 million gill required for a Gold Chocobo (and thats 3 million if you know what your doing!), an getting the greens from the Sage (ok he's easy to find!), but buying 99 for each Choco costs a lot! Then getting teh breeding right, cos you dont always use the best choco's to get the right result, sometimes it's "good". So an expert RPG player would presume you use 2 excellents etc...get my point?

Plus getting the underwater materia etc....Then Mime and all the rest.

It's a fair slog, you must admit!

But kudos on getting it first go...I didn't. I've never used a guide, and I think it was 4th go through I managed to conquer the game 100%, took me many hours! And I got a level 100 party!
Old 09-09-2006, 11:50 AM   #10
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I don't think there is a single rpg I didn't master on the first try. I just take my time and explore everything, level everyone, do all there is to do, reload and test every dialog choices etc. I usually max the time counter of the save screen before I'm 3/4 trough a game. Back when I still played playstation I had had a memory card with 60 or so pages on it. It usually took me 5-6 pages per games as I kept multiple saves at different points in case I messed up somewhere.

Heck, even in Suikoden I leveled every single characters and got them all their final weapon, just too see how they handled themselves at high level.

The way I see it, if I don't do it all in the first try then I failed as a serious gamer.