Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2003, 07:47 AM   #1
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

New York Representative Charles Rangel is proposing bringing back the draft. Here's a report that discusses his proposed legistation. http://www.boston.com/dailynews/365/...ng_mili:.shtml Read it and tell us what you think about it.

[ 01-03-2003, 07:50 AM: Message edited by: Sir Taliesin ]
Old 01-03-2003, 07:49 AM   #2
/)eathKiller
Dracolisk

Nooo! Please don't! I'm turning 18 in May!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-03-2003, 07:51 AM   #3
Sir Taliesin
Silver Dragon

Dang! Could some one tell me how to post a "LINK" instead of the whole html code. Please!!! Pretty Please with a cherry on top!!!
Old 01-03-2003, 07:58 AM   #4
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Could somebody tell me what the draft is?
im from Australia so it wont affect me but i would still like to know.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:02 AM   #5
The Hunter of Jahanna
Emerald Dragon

The senators reasoning makes perfect sense to me. It seems to me that everyone in congress is calling for war , but no one wants to go fight it. With his idea if there is a war then people will have to do more than just run their mouth about things. They might actualy have to *GASP* fight in a war instead of just talk shit about what they would do "if they were there". If they get the new supercarrier up and runing soon I might re-enlist just so I can serve on it.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:03 AM   #6
Garnet FalconDance
Mephistopheles

As a mother of a nearly 20 yr old and a two other teens, the thought of a forced military service makes me anxious/frightened/upset (all understatements). As a former servicemember who enlisted at 17, I have always felt it would be a *very* good idea if the US did as several other countries did and required that young people complete at least two years (pref. 4) military service, regardless of (within reason) physical/mental handicap. Discipline, something sorely missing these days, would at the least be enforced/instilled. I wasn't a wild child but the military at the least gave me a chance to travel and experience other cultures I would never have otherwise had the chance.

So, mixed feelings. I learned last week my baby (and only) brother may be called up for active duty if we go to war---we all knew this was a possibility, but reality sometimes sucks. But :shrugs I was Navy during Beirut and my little sister was a Marine during the Gulf War (conflict, whatever the govt finally called it), so I suppose another sib in the govt's service is to be expected. Not that I want my boys to go to war or conflict.....gods help me, but I don't *ever* want them to experience anything so awful (not going further with that thought--tears are not a good thing when typing) but at the same time, there is a 'price' to pay for the freedoms we enjoy and I've brought them up to honor ....
Old 01-03-2003, 08:50 AM   #7
Donut
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Taliesin:
Dang! Could some one tell me how to post a "LINK" instead of the whole html code. Please!!! Pretty Please with a cherry on top!!!
(URL=http://www.boston.com/dailynews/365/region/Rangel_calls_for_resuming_mili:.shtml)Link(/URL)

Replace ( ) with [ ]
[img]\"http://www.wheatsheaf.freeserve.co.uk/roastspurs.gif\" alt=\" - \" /> <br />Proud member of the Axis of Upheaval<br />Official Titterer of the Laughing Hyenas<br />Josiah Bartlet - the best President the US never had.<br />The 1st D in the D & D Show
Old 01-03-2003, 09:23 AM   #8
MagiK

Quote:
Originally posted by /)eathKiller:
Nooo! Please don't! I'm turning 18 in May!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
DK, a run through Military Boot Camp and a short stint in one of the Armed services won't kill you (probably) and will do you a world of good. You would take away a lot of lessons that you may never find a way to experience in any other way, but wich will stand you in good stead all the rest of your life.

Old 01-03-2003, 10:50 AM   #9
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

Two years of compulsory service is not economically feasible. Not when you have a population of three hundred million.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:27 PM   #10
Piestrider
Zhentarim Guard

Recently, our high school, along with many others around the US had to release the names of all their male students to the government. Kinda scary.