Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2001, 11:51 PM   #1
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Im sorry you people are prob getting annoyed by the amount of threads i spew out on this board I am just trying to find something on the net that I thought some people might help me with. I am starting a Computer Multimedia course in july here in nz and i am trying to find tutorials etc that can show me how to do various different a bit more advanced things with photoshop and freehand so can anyone helpo me finding these things. or actually help me themselves?

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 05-08-2001, 11:55 PM   #2
Moni

Azurewolf,
I recommend downloading Copernic2000 http://www.copernic.com
It is a search engine that uses multiple search engines and it is free.

Type in Photoshop tutorials in a new search and have it search for the exact phrase...you will come up with more links than you can ever get through!

Same for freehand tutorials, although I don't know just exactly how many of them are out there, having never done that search.

Good Luck & Have Fun!

Moni

Old 05-08-2001, 11:59 PM   #3
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

thanx im onto that straight away. hehe when I start getting into this course i may post up some of my animation work tom show

------------------

"I was born of darkness. My fathers eyes closed before mine opened. I am not of this world or the other, and I have the right to be what I am..."
Old 05-09-2001, 12:01 AM   #4
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Copernic is good, but Google is MORE GOODER!!!!(the Mexican is coming out)
http://www.google.com/ and, if you use IE, you can get a search bar on your browser, so you don't have to open a window or another program.

Rated the most accurate, and comprehensive search engine out there. And, not as intrusive as Copernic (don't mean to step on yer toes, Moni) they will hit you with ALL kinds of links...

SlackerBoy is very good with PhotoShop. MUCH MORE GOODER THAN THE DAWG. He may be willing to share some tips, "for a turnip."

------------------

The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
and my girlfriends, Pamila and Phil

[This message has been edited by RudeDawg (edited 05-09-2001).]
Old 05-09-2001, 12:04 AM   #5
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Such talent we have on the board! A lot of graphics artists. I dabble in graphic arts a bit. Tried Photoshop, but I hate the interface. I'm a Paint Shop Pro guy myself.

There's actually some Photoshop users forums out there as well, Azurewolf. Do a search on it in http://groups.yahoo.com/ Unfortunately, Yahoo has them now...It used to be Onelist, then Egroups, but Yahoo seems intent on assimilating everything on the web under one dictatorsh...uh, I mean administrative domain.

Old 05-09-2001, 12:06 AM   #6
RudeDawg
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazerac:
Such talent we have on the board! A lot of graphics artists. I dabble in graphic arts a bit. Tried Photoshop, but I hate the interface. I'm a Paint Shop Pro guy myself.

PSPRO ROX !!!!

I love it, and use it more often than I do photoshop...

I knew I liked you Saz...

------------------

The RudeDawg
Known in these Forgotten Realms as Perin LightEyes
and my girlfriends, Pamila and Phil
Old 05-09-2001, 12:17 AM   #7
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

yep well i will try all these suggestions but i cant use psp bcos we only use photoshop on my course but i'll find stuff. thanc for all the suggestions peeps

------------------

Old 05-09-2001, 01:15 AM   #8
John D Harris
Ninja Storm Shadow

AzureWolf, I've found the best thing to do is to play with photoshop, & freehand
forget the tuts. In my 20+ years as an illustator I've discovered the worst and best thing to happen to the graphics arts is the computer. There must be 10 differant ways to get the effects you want in either of those programs. Play with the programs, spend time trying differant effects ( a lot of what does this do?). You can always "apple z" or control z for you pc users. Computers for the arts are no differant than a pencil, learn to use it through practice, practice, practice. When I get a new progam I play on it for a couple of days before I ever look at the book. I don't mean to be preachy, but I've seen alot of artist that do half-arse work because they think the computer is the end all. Use the computer don't let it use you. If you need help with freehand or photoshop e-mail me (I'll inable my e-mail address for you) Get a Wacom tablet nobody can draw with a bar of soap (mouse)
Saz & Rude have you ever tried Fractal Painter? Great filters and effects good if you are creating in the computer.

------------------

"the memories of a man in his old age,
are deeds of a man in his prime"

[This message has been edited by John D Harris (edited 05-09-2001).]
Old 05-09-2001, 01:25 AM   #9
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

yep ive sent u an email thanx

------------------

Old 05-09-2001, 01:27 AM   #10
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

AzureWolf, sorry! I didn't mean to imply I was "downing" Photoshop...far from it. It's the industry leader. However, for what I do (web graphics), I find I like the PSP interface much better...it's more intuitive, uses all the plug-in filters that Photoshop does, and it's "tubes" are fantastic, if you like working with tubes. I also love Alien Skin Eye Candy, and use it a lot in my work, and it blends well with PSP.

Photoshop is great for the print industry, and yes, everyone wanting to do anything serious with graphics needs to learn it. It's like learning Windows NT/2000, even though you may prefer Linux. It's something that just has to be done.

RudeDawg, right on! Our Moni is a PSP girl, too!