Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2003, 08:07 AM   #1
IdiotRogue
Manshoon

OK... my name says it all. I searched through past posts for strategies dealing with the Umber Hulks in the Keep's dungeon. I have tried them all, I believe, and still wind up having to kill the critters in the room where I encounter them. I have yet to be able to lure them away to their feeding cell with the dog stew. They attack my hidden in shadows thieves... they attack if I just wander in with the stew... I have cast invisibility on both my main guy and an NPC and they attack...

Is this a bug? My game is patched, with no modifiers or any "extras."

Am I missing out on experience points by not being able to feed the Umber Hulks? Any suggestions?
Old 04-28-2003, 08:11 AM   #2
Shaggy
Elite Waterdeep Guard

You do get some experience for placing the stew in the room and luring away the umberhulks but if i remember correctly its only about as much as you'd get for killing them anyway. as for ur invisibility problem i don't know have u actually gone down the cells to the little area with the dog bones or have u just whopped it in the middle of the floor?
Old 04-28-2003, 08:37 AM   #3
Jan

Interesting question!

Have never been able to reach the cells. Always had to fight the umberhulks.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:45 AM   #4
Malthaussen
Manshoon

Invisibility or sanctuary has always worked for me. Just make sure you do put the stew in the proper place. Shouldn't be any problem, so long as the hulks don't see any other members of your party.

SPOILER...

If you waste the hulks and then put the stew in the cell, you'll get experience for both. So I'd say you are missing out on a few points if you haven't been able to do this.

-- Mal

[ 04-28-2003, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: Malthaussen ]
Old 04-28-2003, 08:56 AM   #5
Jan

Argh yes - sanctuary of cause. Didn't think of that.

Thanks Malthaussen
Old 04-28-2003, 09:18 AM   #6
Firestormalpha
Knight of the Rose

Zelda Champion Snake Champion
Great strategy for dealing with the hulks, provided you're not completely anti-cheese and you have Nalia in your party with a cloudkill scroll/spell/wand. Have Nalia go invisible or stealth. Make sure your entire party is out of visual range from the door. Send Nalia up have her open the door, retreat and renew her stealth, move back up to the door and fire a cloud kill into the Hulk room then back up and close the door. Wait for the smell er spell to clear and all of the Hulks will either be dead or severely weakend.

"We are never to judge a philosophy by its abuse." - Augustine

"If you're wondering if God has a sense of humor, consider the platypus."

http://www.greaterthings.cbglades.com
Firestormalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 04:19 PM   #7
Stratos
Vampire

Possible Spoiler!
Just cast Invisibility on any character and let the guy waltz in and place the stew in one of the rooms where the dog bones are (the cell to the right where you see a tunnel.) Make sure to cast Invisibility outside the line of sight of the Umber Hulks. Just go carefully up to the door to their room and open it without entering (they shouldn´t be able to see you) and then cast Invisibility. I think that opening doors and such dispels Invisibility Don´t forget to close both the doors to the the prison area after placing the stew and take the other entrace when leaving.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:57 PM   #8
IronDragon
Elminster

Arrow

After you kill the umber hulks you can still take the puppy stew to the feeding pit and get experience for doing so. Initially I thought it was a weird bug but then I am not one to argue with a little extra experience
Old 04-28-2003, 09:28 PM   #9
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
There are a few things that could be ruining your stealth mode:

1) Opening doors with a hidden in shadows thief releases the hiddenness, so use invisibility or sanctuary.

2) Hostile actions while invisible, sanctuaried, or hidden removes the effect, so make sure that the AI button is turned off, otherwise the extremely intelligent AI will decide what you really want to do while sanctuaried is attack the large group of umber hulks solo.

3) Some enemies are not fooled by invisibility or cast removal spells (the cloak of non-detection can thwart some of those). Umber hulks are not this type of creature, so in this case, your problem is probably with the AI.

**Note that if you see the message "X attacks Umber Hulk", and then issue a move command to stop them from performing their attack, the invisibility will still be dispelled just from the AI ordering the attack.
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers
Olorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 10:42 PM   #10
IdiotRogue
Manshoon

For curiosity's sake, I will try the sanctuary strategy. Does it matter where in the feeding cell the dog stew is placed? I believe once or twice I dropped it in there, but got no points. Need I place it with the dog bones?