Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2003, 11:36 PM   #1
IdiotRogue
Manshoon

Question Mark

Hello to all past friends, acquaintences, new members and visitors.

After a lengthy absence, I have polished the rust (mold, actually) from my sword, sharpened it and prayed to various and sundry deities to polish my wit (how much will that set me back at a temple???)for a return to Faerun.

Anyhow, having played the game rather "vanilla" previously, I decided to take a kit for my fighter character. Some may vaguely recall my many misadventures with spellcasting, having brought my party to many an ignomious end via a poorly placed or timed fireball. Out of bitterness/resentment, I suppose, I made him a Wizard Slayer.

Going in, I understand that many items will not be available to me, due to the nature of the kit. Therefore, I would like the opinions of any and all as to what the best equipment for this character might be. His stats are: half elf, chaotic good; str 18/71; dex 18; con 18; int 10; wis 10; cha 16 (should I start again? I was confused as to whether i should have upped wisdom or intelligence, rather than going for cheaper prices on goods).

Minor spoilers are welcome, but i would prefer not being told where everything is located. I just want to know for what I need to keep my eye out. Also, I figure on keeping Minsc, Jaheira, Yoshimo (yeah, I know...), Nalia (less irritating than Aerie and more versatile, imo) before choosing a final member for the last bits. Suggestions/opinions are welcome as I plan to rotate various NPCs through the party to access more quests and build experience points.
Old 04-21-2003, 08:13 AM   #2
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Well, you can still use magical weapons and armour, which is the most important. It's not really worth having rings, gauntlets and stuff if they don't have any good abilities, so it's not really worth being on the lookout for them. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Also, have you placed your proficiency-slots in anything yet? Or are you asking us for advice on where to put them?

Also, good to see you again! I think I vaguely remember your name, but not really much else. But welcome back anyway! [img]graemlins/happywave.gif[/img]
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 08:24 AM   #3
IdiotRogue
Manshoon

Thank you for the welcome and reply, Exxon.

Based on previous go arounds, I chose slots in dual wielding, long sword, flail and long bow (acid/fire arrows are good things). I am intrigued by the Wizard Slayer kit and would not mind starting from scratch if I made some poor choices (although it takes a short lifetime to get the stats I want - I only use Shadowkeeper if I lose a character due to something stupid I generally manage to do to my computer).

In reading about the kit, it seems to me that Int & Wis need not be high since, as you pointed out, I can only use magical armor and weapons. I just want opinions/recommendations for allocation of stats and, if I did not choose wisely, proficiency slots (ie: single weapon style as opposed to dual wielding). It seems with a high dex rating, maybe single weapon style (with two handed weapon style added later) might give a decent bump to armor rating.

I appreciate any and all input.
Old 04-21-2003, 09:50 AM   #4
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

*whistles*

Most players will kill to have that kind of roll to play with. Your statistics are more than sufficient to make a competent character.

If you plan to keep your Wizard Slayer pure, you can go the route of dual-wielding and equip weapons that grant an additional attack per round( there are two in SoA). This goes well with your kit's innate ability to instill spellcasting failure upon the enemy spellcasters.

As for your main weapon... something with elemental damage is useful against stoneskinned Mages, so flails are a good choice.

I am assuming you do not have ToB or any Mods.

AC will not be an issue, unless you are trying to make your Wizard Slayer into the main tank, which is not advisable, as you have better tank material in Minsc and/or Jaheira.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 10:53 AM   #5
IdiotRogue
Manshoon

I won't tell you how long, or how many rolls, it took me during character creation to get those stats. Having settled for far less before, I figured patience would (eventually) win out.

You are correct, Dundee, I do not have ToB or any modifiers installed (except the bonus items from the collector's edition cd).

For dual wielding, I was thinking about the Flail of Ages and Daystar. For armor, I currently have the Helm of Balduran and half plate.

*Possible (minor) SPOILER*
I know it's pricey, but I just had a thought. Anyone buy the Plate of Balduran? Doesn't it add to some stat as well as being a very low AC?
Old 04-21-2003, 11:01 AM   #6
Alson
Galvatron

Interesting suggestion of the day:

(1) Create a Wizard Slayer.
(2) Grandmaster in... DARTS!
(3) Loot places-with-stashes-of-darts (Keep, Compound, etc). If you have ToB, head the the Keep. You won't be disappointed.
(4) Use Darts of Stunning on non-spellcasters. Use Darts of Wounding on spellcasters. Use Asp's Nest carefully. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Muhco attacks per rounds, a very original character, and extra bonus points for playing a not-to-be-dualed Wizard Slayer! What MORE do you need?
In memory of Ilan Ramon - the first Israeli astronaut.<br /><br /><br />[url]\"http://members.chello.nl/~j.vanthull/BG2SR/Home.htm\" target=\"_blank\">BGII Spells Reference</a> - everything you ever wanted to know about spells!
Alson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 11:07 AM   #7
Dundee Slaytern
Ironworks Moderator

Unless you intend to add a shine to your character's pearly whites, there is little incentive to purchase the armour.

Flail of the Ages is one of the best weapons in the game, and good weapons to put in the off-hand include Belm or Kundane for their extra attacks. You can always put Daystar in a QuickWeapon slot, and still be able to access its' Sunray ability.
Dundee Slaytern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 11:16 AM   #8
Pirengle
Symbol of Cyric

To hitch a ride on IdiotRogue's thread about wizard slayers, is it possible to get a wizard slayer to dual to wild mage through Shadowkeeper? Think of the cool roleplaying potential there!

*Spoilers* Imagine playing a wizard slayer until Jonny Boy cracks your head open and steals your soul, and leaves a bit of his own delusional workings in there. The result--you can cast powerful spells with wild results!*

Would this be as simple as changing the class through Shadowkeeper, or does it involve something more complicated than that?
Old 04-21-2003, 12:23 PM   #9
Annatar
Mephistopheles

If you have common knowledge over SK its pretty simple... change levels and class/kits and your set.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:50 PM   #10
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Since you don't have ToB, I can tell you here and now that you are going to be HURTING. Why? Well, for the very simple reason of No Healing Potions. In fact, if you find anyhing that you *can* put in your Quick Item slots, let me know--I'd like to compile a list of just how badly the Wizard Slayer gets jacked in plain SoA.

How do you recover lost hitpoints? Well, the 3 best Regeneration items in SoA are barred to you, but there are still 3 items that you CAN use. To find the best one, go to the Playhouse in the basement of the Five Flagons in the Bridge District. This will start you off on a big, fun quest that will eventually land you with a weapon called Adjatha the Drinker. Once you've got that weapon, have it permanently welded to your hand or something, because you're never going to want to put it down.

As far as powergaming goes, if you're not going to Dual you'd have been better off as a Dwarf or Halfling instead of a Half-Elf, but hey, who needs another cookie-cutter Wizard Slayer anyway?

[ 04-21-2003, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: SixOfSpades ]