Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 12-10-2001, 02:02 PM   #1
Forzen-
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I just decided to try my first solo sorcerer, and i want to have a familiar. But i cant decide wich one to choose??
What du you guys think? wich is the best one??
I have tried the ferret, and it was cool, sure would be nice to be able to pickpocket, but the other ones might be better. plz help.
Could someone please post what everyone of them do, cuz i have no idea.
Forzen- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 02:19 PM   #2
Galdriel wovenmist
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Be chaotic good. Then your Familiar get mirror Image and Blurr
Galdriel wovenmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 03:30 PM   #3
Nifft the Nimble

The familiar you get depends solely upon your alignment. You will never get to choose.

If you are Good, you get some kind of a mini-dragon, either a Pseudo-Dragon or a Fairy Dragon. Thier main purpose in life is to sit in your backpack and give you an extra 12 HPs -- a worthy purpose indeed! However one of them has poisonous claws which render poison-vulnerable opponents asleep, and the other can cast "Invisibility 10' Radius" which is quite useful for scouting, sneaking, etc.

If you are Neutral, you will get an improved version of a normal animal. Each animal excels in one particular thief skill. Cats are silent and sneaky, rabbits can detect traps, and ferrets can pick pockets. The ferret is portrayed as being quite useful by several veteran soloists. A Sorcerer should be Lawful Neutral to get a ferret. Though these familiars have thieving skills, their main purpose remains to give their master an extra 12 HPs.

If you choose the path of Evil, your options are demonic in nature. Neutral Evil spellcasters get Dust Mephits while Chaotic and Lawful spellcasters get Quasits and Imps. The non-Neutral spellcaster lose out, however, for they only get 8 bonus HPs. Dust Mephits are quite useful, especially when high level and in Throne of Bhaal.

I hope this is helpful to you!

-- Nifft
Nifft the Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 07:39 PM   #4
AzRaeL StoRmBlaDe
Hathor

well familiars complain about not getting petted enough and that theyre hungry, and they take up a space in your pack and if they die you lose constitution permanently. i know they have some advantages but they still kind of suck, in my own humble opinion.
Old 12-10-2001, 07:44 PM   #5
Willard
Fzoul Chembryl

Why do the rabbits do fire damage?
Old 12-10-2001, 08:07 PM   #6
Eldoran
Dungeon Master

Sheesh Williard, don't you know that rabbits breath fire? You need to get out more, and see those brave firefighters in action, hacking away at the swarms of bunnies everywhere trying to burn down the cities.

Umm, but seriously... I found the ferret quite useful. Being able to aquire ...

Possible spoiler if you are really a stickler about it, but I don't know...
the ring of regeneration from Ribald. Unfortunatly the easiest familiar scroll to get at seems to be the one in nalia's keep ... but Oh well.

Most of the familiars I have done anything with, except for the ferret... Well the evil pets are fun to abuse, but thats about it
Eldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 09:04 AM   #7
bavvo
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Do Familiar skills get any better as you go through the game?
bavvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2001, 09:09 AM   #8
Kaleban
Manshoon

In ToB, when your reach level 25, they improve quite noticeably. But there is no per level improvement.
Old 12-11-2001, 09:36 AM   #9
Anarion

I just use them for the bonus hitpoints [img]smile.gif[/img]