Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2003, 06:13 AM   #1
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
Spy Hunter Champion Super Mario Mushroom Champion
After finishing BG1 and all of the ToTSC quests over the Yuletide season, thrilling in the depths that it had to offer, I thus decided to import my True Neutral Druid, resisting the desire to try out a mage of some kind. I've gone for the Avenger kit, which from a bollocks powergamey perspective has been seemingly overly kind to me, since I don't get the minuses to con and str. (they only apply to starting characters.) Add that to the additional nasty shapeshiftings and the mage spells, I know I'm in for a very fascinating experience.

Having conquered Bg2 once before, this will be my first time around with the ToB installed as well.
My druid and essential party alignment theme from my last Bg1 wanderings, leaned from neutral to neutral evil at times as well, reflected in my choice of party. I'm hoping to at least get close to the style/pattern of that party for continuity and role play purposes in Bg2. However, I'm well aware of how difficult that will be since Bg2's Npcs aren't as numerous nor are there as many evilish ones to be had. The lack of thieves in particular, is an odd contrast to the original game.

Anyway, I had:

Kagain - Is he in the game somewhere and if not, what happened to him? Likely replacement - Korgan.

Shar-Teel - Same question. If she's not in there somewhere, why not I wonder, as she was a great character. Replacement - unsure, possibly Mazzy to sample her dialog and banter at least.

Viconia - This time around I shan't let her die! I've become rather fond of her...shall enjoy enlisting her services again and the consequences of such.

Safana - I read a very vague post somewhere that said something about her dying from a werewolf wound or something. I wouldn't mind just knowing where her fate is spelled out rather than exactly what happens. I have no idea who will replace her...and I don't wish to keep Imoen (more on her in the other plothole thread) nor Yoshimo (for obvious reasons to those who've played more than once)
So filling the thief void shall be a mystery yet unsolved...perhaps Jan if I can put up with him.

Edwin - I can't help but like him from Bg1 and doubt there is a spellcaster who can rival his abilities overall in all honesty. For the purposes of my group, he is perfect.

If any of the elite stalwarts of this game has any tips or ideas about my neutral/neutral evil party on who might make logical candidates, then feel free to espouse ideas at your leisure!
I'll be scratching my hairy chin on it for some time as yet... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Baldurian Cheers,
Cerebrodragon
P.S: May your dungeon crawlings bring thrilling encounters in the new year!
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
CerebroDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 09:25 AM   #2
Ny'irilit
Dungeon Master

Question Mark

HUH? are you looking for a theif?? do you mean ToB or TDD?? i cant remember shar teale (sp?) in tob but she is definately in tdd. if it is tdd that you have, try advario, he backs up as a light fighter and can pull his weight as an avarage theif. dont take korgan if you can take shar teale, i got to the drow place with her, and apart from the armour, she kicks elf(s). valygar should be a possible choice aswell, especially if you can get Cfury whoa!

ahh, i still dont understand you question though, please explain unless other ppl get here before me ,
later

[ 12-31-2003, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: Ny'irilit ]
Old 12-31-2003, 11:38 AM   #3
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

3D SuperBall Champion Asteroids Champion Battle of Helms Deep Champion Moon Patrol Champion Pac Man Champion
I thought I was pretty clear on it...Nyr...just after some thoughts on a neutral/neutral evil party to replace my old Bg1 party into Bg2. It is definitely a strugggle to replace them!

I also stated that it was my first time through ToB as well.

Hmm, what is TDD? Some kind of mod I'm wagering.

I should have checked the FAQ first. But Erm, the topic... anyone?

[ 12-31-2003, 12:13 PM: Message edited by: CerebroDragon ]
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj
Old 12-31-2003, 11:54 AM   #4
Calsiumus
Drow Warrior

TDD=The darkest day.
Its one of the biggest mod out there (Í think) I have never used it but ive heard it has alot of bugs in it.
but i dont know where you can get it.
EDIT:hmm this was not any help att all...sorry

[ 12-31-2003, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: Calsiumus ]
Calsiumus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 02:49 PM   #5
Klutz
Manshoon

Quote:
Originally posted by CerebroDragon:
After finishing BG1 and all of the ToTSC quests over the Yuletide season, thrilling in the depths that it had to offer, I thus decided to import my True Neutral Druid, resisting the desire to try out a mage of some kind. I've gone for the Avenger kit, which from a bollocks powergamey perspective has been seemingly overly kind to me, since I don't get the minuses to con and str. (they only apply to starting characters.) Add that to the additional nasty shapeshiftings and the mage spells, I know I'm in for a very fascinating experience.

Having conquered Bg2 once before, this will be my first time around with the ToB installed as well.
My druid and essential party alignment theme from my last Bg1 wanderings, leaned from neutral to neutral evil at times as well, reflected in my choice of party. I'm hoping to at least get close to the style/pattern of that party for continuity and role play purposes in Bg2. However, I'm well aware of how difficult that will be since Bg2's Npcs aren't as numerous nor are there as many evilish ones to be had. The lack of thieves in particular, is an odd contrast to the original game.

Anyway, I had:

Kagain - Is he in the game somewhere and if not, what happened to him? Likely replacement - Korgan.

Shar-Teel - Same question. If she's not in there somewhere, why not I wonder, as she was a great character. Replacement - unsure, possibly Mazzy to sample her dialog and banter at least.

Viconia - This time around I shan't let her die! I've become rather fond of her...shall enjoy enlisting her services again and the consequences of such.

Safana - I read a very vague post somewhere that said something about her dying from a werewolf wound or something. I wouldn't mind just knowing where her fate is spelled out rather than exactly what happens. I have no idea who will replace her...and I don't wish to keep Imoen (more on her in the other plothole thread) nor Yoshimo (for obvious reasons to those who've played more than once)
So filling the thief void shall be a mystery yet unsolved...perhaps Jan if I can put up with him.

Edwin - I can't help but like him from Bg1 and doubt there is a spellcaster who can rival his abilities overall in all honesty. For the purposes of my group, he is perfect.

If any of the elite stalwarts of this game has any tips or ideas about my neutral/neutral evil party on who might make logical candidates, then feel free to espouse ideas at your leisure!
I'll be scratching my hairy chin on it for some time as yet... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Baldurian Cheers,
Cerebrodragon
P.S: May your dungeon crawlings bring thrilling encounters in the new year!
PC Avenger Druid
Viconia
Korgan
Edwin

Viconia, Korgan, and Edwin are the only actual evil NPC's in BG2 SOA. So you want two more characters in your party, at least one a thief, and probably at least one a tanking fighter since right now Korgan is your only one. I'd suggest:

Jan: Neutral Illusionist/Thief. Whether or not you like his banter, he's far and away the best fit for the thief spot on your party.

For the last spot, you want someone that can stand on the front line, but there's few options for that left:

Haer'Dalis: Properly buffed he can handle front-line duties, but he's very fragile when unbuffed.

Anomen: Lawful Neutral dualclass Fighter/Cleric. With a single class Cleric and Druid already in the party, this would be my last choice, but he can be made to work.

Jaheira: True Neutral Fighter/Druid. Again, you've already got a Cleric and Druid, but her fighter abilites will eventually outstrip Anomen's since she's a multiclass.

Mazzy: Lawful Good Fighter: Despite the alignment conflict, this may be your best choice. As long as your rep doesn't get too low, I don't think she will get into any fights with any of the other NPC's in your party. Most of the other good aligned fighters in the game will get into fights with one or more of your already selected NPC's.

Check the TOB forum for spoilers about additional options that will make the decision easier when you get to TOB.
Old 12-31-2003, 02:58 PM   #6
Dalamar Stormcrow
Banned User

Valygar is another good tank believe it or not. But he has to be equipped correctly. Also his armor combined with the Dragon Slayer equipment makes him 125 resistance vs Fire. And immune to fear. He could take on Firkraag by himself with a couple of heals. Much better coice than Mazzy. His quest is also a good one.
Dalamar Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 10:13 PM   #7
Link
Jack Burton

SPOILERS!!!
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
As for the various party members from Baldur's Gate 1 making their appearance in Baldur's Gate 2 (I'm not putting in the re-recruitable BG1 NPC's)

Kagain: ?
Safana: Dies by your hands because of her being in league with the werewolves.
Skie: ?
Eldoth: ?
Khalid: Gets murdered in the beginning of SoA
Dynaheir: Gets murdered in the beginning of SoA too.
Montaron: Is killed by the Harpers but supposedly changed into a bird.
Xzar: Is a necromancer now; wants you to free Montaron, but gets murdered by the harpers instead.
Branwen: ?
Kivan: ?
Faldorn: She's the leading Shadow Druid in Trademeet's Druid Grove.
Coran: Gets murdered by werewolves while trying to rescue his love, Safana.
Ajantis: He's one of the paladins who is murdered by your party upon entering the Windspear Hills.
Alora: ?
Quayle: Aerie's foster father in the circus tent. Also calls you in for aid in Haer'Dalis's rescue.
Tiax: Inmate of Spellhold. Still has his dillusions of grandeur ("Tiax rules all!")
Shar Teel:
Yeslick: ?
Garrick: Is a stumbling bard who's trying to impress a female member of the Radiant Heart. Unlucky for him, his gnomish friend seems to impress her more than he does.

[ 12-31-2003, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: Link ]
Link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 02:54 AM   #8
Ares

Correct in all but one; Coran doesn't die unless you let him die. In all my experiences of playing through that quest (about 15 in all) he's never even been injured, much less dead.
Ares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 03:49 AM   #9
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Branwen is in the tutorial.
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 09:16 AM   #10
CerebroDragon
Red Wizard of Thay

Very nice and comprehensive coverage there Link.
One more to add - one of my sentimental favourites - ol' Xan.
He's also in the tutorial, which was a delight when I played that again.
Our quest is vaaaain!

I never found out the fate of Montaron last time around...but I'll be investigating that this time around. I'm not overly keen about the protagonist being responsible for Safana's death however, since she was such an integral part of my party last time...an amorous sojourn with her would make a nice mod to add to the others!

Thanks to Klutz for the party formation ideas. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
You made alot of sense and followed my line of thinking nicely. At the moment, I've only just finished the slavers compounds and are doing Nalia's sidequest for some more xp, delaying picking up Korgan and doing what's required to get Edwin for the time being. I didn't know if my party would be strong enough to do Korgan's quest straight away or indeed if he'd hang around long enough to do Nalia quest. So thought it best to be safe..
I'm not in a hurry to grab my ultimate party in all honesty, its great to be able to relax and enjoy the game at ones leisure! [img]smile.gif[/img]

My party's currently looking like:
Vigamortis (Avenger)
Minsc (Eventually will be dropped for Korgan)
Jaheira (Has already hinted at some quasi-emotional attachment to the PC.....she'll be making way for either Mazzy or Valygar.)
Jan Jansen (I'm warming to him pretty quick)
Viconia (Is quiet thus far...)
Nalia (Shall be pleased when our relationship is at its end...)

Time for a shot at the second floor of the Keep!
Cheers all,
Cerebrodragon
- Brilhasti Ap Tarj