Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-17-2004, 07:35 PM   #1
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

I seem to have a Pop-up Program imbedded in PC. Whenever I go on the internet, I get numerous Pop-ups from Save Now.

Has anybody had this problem? And does anybody know how to get RID of them?
Old 04-17-2004, 07:45 PM   #2
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

SURELY you've seen the millions of pieces of advice on here all telling you to use Ad-aware and Spybot Search and Destroy? If not, download those and run them, probably just spybot will do.
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 04-17-2004, 08:26 PM   #3
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Spybot and Adaware will not help you with this problem entirely. You got this by downloading Bearshare. Right? Ok...to remove it, first get that program I told you about called "Hijack This". It will remove certain inbedded craps that keep it inside your PC. Next, go to add/remove programs and remove SaveNow and Weathercast. Third: Use Adaware to remove the remaining pieces. Then reboot and you will be clean. I have to do this everytime I upgrade bearshare.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:01 PM   #4
promethius9594
Drizzt Do'Urden

Also, download google toolbar (i think the addy is googletoolbar.com, but if not just search for "google toolbar" at google.com)

This installs a searchbar on the top of your internet browser, but it also blocks most pop ups. holding control while you click a link will allow popups for the time that you are holding down the control key.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:25 PM   #5
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Better than the google toolbar is Mozilla Firefox. I would also recomened getting Thunderbird from that webpage if you use Outlook or Outlook Express.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:35 PM   #6
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Spybot and Adaware will not help you with this problem entirely. You got this by downloading Bearshare. Right? Ok...to remove it, first get that program I told you about called "Hijack This". It will remove certain inbedded craps that keep it inside your PC. Next, go to add/remove programs and remove SaveNow and Weathercast. Third: Use Adaware to remove the remaining pieces. Then reboot and you will be clean. I have to do this everytime I upgrade bearshare.
Sorry man, it didn't work. I downloaded Hijack This before, but couldn't find it, so I just downloaded it again. It popped well over 100 files. I deleted 96 that I was sure were trash. Then I went to Add/Remove Programs. SaveNow and Weathercast were nowhere to be found. [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] I still did the Adaware and Rebooted. But as soon as I started Browsing the Internet again, there came all the same popups, one after another (as many as 3 at one time [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img] ).

I DO have the Google Bar in place and it blocks LOTS of Pop-Ups, but SaveNow seems to be immune to it's efforts. Looks like it might be time to give Mozilla and the other one a try.
Old 04-18-2004, 03:56 AM   #7
Harkoliar
Jack Burton

spybot can find what adaware cant sometimes..

Catch me if you can..
Old 04-18-2004, 04:44 AM   #8
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerek the Barbaric:
quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
Sorry man, it didn't work. I downloaded Hijack This before, but couldn't find it, so I just downloaded it again. It popped well over 100 files. I deleted 96 that I was sure were trash. Then I went to Add/Remove Programs. SaveNow and Weathercast were nowhere to be found. [img]graemlins/wow.gif[/img] I still did the Adaware and Rebooted. But as soon as I started Browsing the Internet again, there came all the same popups, one after another (as many as 3 at one time [img]graemlins/madhell.gif[/img] ).

I DO have the Google Bar in place and it blocks LOTS of Pop-Ups, but SaveNow seems to be immune to it's efforts. Looks like it might be time to give Mozilla and the other one a try.
[/QUOTE]You can also do a search on your computer and sort by modify date. Look back at the history of the newest files. More than likely, a file was executed and is continuing to execute. If you delete the file, it will stop the popups. Unless you run the program that put that file on your system in the first place. I had one in a prefetch folder. I put REM at the beginning of all the filenames that I noticed within the timeframe the popups started and it disabled it. A firewall from that point should be able to help prevent new ones from infecting you.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:28 AM   #9
WillowIX
Apophis

Perhaps this could be of some assistance? It includes some registry editing in the manual removal guide, but since you only delete two values from the run section there should be no problems at all. [img]smile.gif[/img] I don't have to remind you that you shouldn't remove anything else do I. [img]smile.gif[/img] I hope this helps.

[ 04-18-2004, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: WillowIX ]
Old 04-18-2004, 08:05 AM   #10
Marikai
Dungeon Master

Yes, i believe everyone has Pop-up programs installed behind your PC that you never know about.

Myself, i have a few installed and i get rid of them, but they come back. Theres GAIN, and GATOR, and PILOT and PRESTO! FILEMANAGER,.... -_-

I installed Ad-Aware 6.0 from Lavasoft (guess you might find it at www.lavasoft.com) alternatively, go to download.com and search for Ad-aware.

I have run Ad-Aware twice this year, and have picked up over 96 object and programs that do all that dirty stuff... i was shocked, considering i only go to yahoo email, ironworks, 3D Total and my online game Trollscantsing.

Dont be too shocked really mate... these pop-ups are a result of spyware. They are inclosed text applications that run when certain sites are accessed, i figure i get mine through Yahoo or MIRC. TSpyware is just a system of trafficing information.

My Advice:
Download Ad-Aware 6.0 and run a system scan. Quarentine and delete the files (Their data miners - VERY BAD!!)

And go to Add/Remove Programs and remove as many of them as possible. (ie. GAIN, PILOT, GATOR, PRESTO! FILEMANAGER etc) Usually anything suspicious that you never installed on your puter is potentially a spyware program. Most are less then 10mb in size.

Finally, empty your entire Temporary Internet Files (including Cookies, but if you dont want to loose your cookies, then no need to delete and make sure your Rubbish bin is empty)... Restart your computer, and then Run Norton Antivirus (or an alternative virus checker) and scan your system. Some (Not all) Spyware can contain viruses, and their just as bad as Data Miners

----

I hope this helps you, and anyone else suffering similar problems. Alas, you dont have to do everything i said even though i do it once a month to keep my computer running good, but i do advise Ad-Aware [img]smile.gif[/img]

Take care all
Marikai
[img]\"http://members.lycos.co.uk/arkana/phpBB2/images/avatars/178988289141833a89f34ac.jpg\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br />Why am I trying to give, <br />when no one gives me a try, <br />Why am I dying to live, <br />if I\'m just living to die?