Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2001, 04:37 PM   #1
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Well, it seems (at least so far from what I have heard on the news), that the terrorists took these four planes with only knives and "boxcutters" (whatever that is). I thought that they had guns. How did they manage to control so many passengers on these planes with such crude weapons? I would have thought that they could have been easily overwhelmed by the crowd. But they got away with it. Do you think maybe they got into the cockpit and locked the doors so nobody could get to them?

If this thread is considered in bad taste in any way, please tell me and I will delete it OK? I'm just trying to figure all of this out...

------------------
Old 09-12-2001, 04:41 PM   #2
Father Bronze
Baaz Draconian

We call a box knife an "exacto-knife." It's basically a razor blade with a carrying handle.

From what I read, it sounds like they sprayed mace and used the razor blades to attack the flight attendants. Then they used more mace to incapacitate the first class and business class passengers. Amid all of this distraction, they lured out the pilots and took over the cockpit. Then they moved the remainder of the passengers to the back of the plane.

It sounds like each plane took 4-5 terrorists to control.

------------------
Most Subtle Official Straightman of the Laughing Hyenas -- Grammarian Brigade.

"The only medicine for suffering, crime, and all the other woes of mankind, is wisdom." -- Thomas Huxley
Old 09-12-2001, 04:42 PM   #3
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Well, there is the possibility that they WERE overwhelmed by the other people in two cases...If what's been reported is true.

One thing being said, but may just be a rumor, is that the one that hit the Pentagon was actually headed for the White House. It then veered suddenly and sharply and ended up hitting the Pentagon.

The other is that the one crashed in Penn. was headed for Camp David. Some said it was shot at to veer it off course, but last night the "news" (sorry, having a dispute over this subject on another thread) reported that it crashed apparently due to some kind of problem on board (indicating a struggle over the controls).

Who knows about the other two (unless they can find black boxes AND can hear them).

------------------
"Allright! We'll call it a draw."

"I'm INVINCIBLE! ... You're a LOONEY!"

Dare to dream. Be bold enough to try.

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)
Old 09-12-2001, 04:44 PM   #4
slackerboy
Gold Dragon

we have been discussing this.

first, the terrorists not only had knives but they "claimed" to have a bomb on board as well.

second, the passangers probably had no idea of the intent of the terrorists.

third, in most hijacking situations i've heard of the people on board will tend to remain calm and wait for the situation to play out. they probably had no idea that they were being used to ram these buildings, and there for would have no reason to fight back.

fourth, it would seem that the people on the 4th plane were able to crash the plane before it could do any damage.

I believe that from this point forward, we will change the way we behave in the event of a hyjacking. if a plane i am on is hijacked i will fight to the death to retake the plane. we can no longer sit back complacently and allow the terrorists to command a plane. it is a weapon of mass distruction in those hands.

------------------

Get The IronWorks Winamp skin
Slackerboys Custom Characters
Old 09-12-2001, 04:59 PM   #5
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by slackerboy:

second, the passangers probably had no idea of the intent of the terrorists.

third, in most hijacking situations i've heard of the people on board will tend to remain calm and wait for the situation to play out. they probably had no idea that they were being used to ram these buildings, and there for would have no reason to fight back.

I totally agree with these two points! These passengers had no idea that the planes were going to be used as weapons. They probably assumed that they would be taken to some 'far' off country and used as hostages for ransom demands.

The case does play out in the 3rd (Pentagon) and 4th (PA) planes. One of the passengers on the plane that hit the Pentagon was on the phone with her husband and he relayed to her the news that two other hijacked planes had hit the WTC towers. With this news I am sure she relayed to the rest of the passengers and crew that their plane too, would be used as a weapon and that some sort of resistance to the hijackers was formed.

The PA plane was obviously a fight b/w the crew and/or passengers and the hijackers, I am assuming that they too found out about the other two/three planes and also knew they would be used as a weapon.

I do not know if these are the cases of the planes, but it makes sense. My heart goes out to them, but they will always be heroes in my book, for diverting so much more potential death and destruction...in all cases these people gave their lives to save others

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
Bossman of Better Funny Stuff.....of the Laughing Hyenas!
Old 09-12-2001, 05:02 PM   #6
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Moridin:
I do not know if these are the cases of the planes, but it makes sense. My heart goes out to them, but they will always be heroes in my book, for diverting so much more potential death and destruction...in all cases these people gave their lives to save others

Hear, hear! *wipes tears from eyes*

------------------
"Allright! We'll call it a draw."

"I'm INVINCIBLE! ... You're a LOONEY!"

Dare to dream. Be bold enough to try.

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)
Old 09-12-2001, 05:43 PM   #7
Conan

I think that for the most part people are not going to imagine that anyone would do this..so being taken totally by surprise things must have happened quickly and presisely. Razor knives, mace, and 3 or so trained men overpowered anyone that stood in the way. I am asking myself if I were there would I have done something, I dont know. Struggles were reported and mybe the plane that crashed in PA. mybe...the passengers won that fight.
SlackerBoy, I feel the same way now also.
Conan

Old 09-12-2001, 05:49 PM   #8
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Conan:
I think that for the most part people are not going to imagine that anyone would do this..so being taken totally by surprise things must have happened quickly and presisely. Razor knives, mace, and 3 or so trained men overpowered anyone that stood in the way. I am asking myself if I were there would I have done something, I dont know. Struggles were reported and mybe the plane that crashed in PA. mybe...the passengers won that fight.
SlackerBoy, I feel the same way now also.
Conan
if you were there, what would you do?
simple, ask yourself, if you are going to die either way, what would you do?
Old 09-12-2001, 08:20 PM   #9
Ladyzekke
Ironworks Atomic Moderator

Yeah, I guess those passengers most likely didn't know that the hijackers planned to crash the plane. If they had known, bet things would have been different. I know personally I wouldn't have sat there if I knew.

Yes, I think everyone now will learn from this horrible experience, and methinks hijackers won't have the psychological upper hand next time around (meaning making people think they have a bomb on em, or think that they are merely taking a plane to another destination, not crashing it). Personally, I think every plane should have a frikken security guard aboard standing there with a gun. And they DEFINITELY need to improve technology AND manpower to check luggage and passengers before anyone is allowed to board a plane. Hey, it may be an inconvenience to us, but better than risking dying in a horrible firey death eh?

------------------

[This message has been edited by ladyzekke (edited 09-12-2001).]
Old 09-12-2001, 08:32 PM   #10
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by ladyzekke:
Yeah, I guess those passengers most likely didn't know that the hijackers planned to crash the plane. If they had known, bet things would have been different. I know personally I wouldn't have sat there if I knew.

Yes, I think everyone now will learn from this horrible experience, and methinks hijackers won't have the psychological upper hand next time around (meaning making people think they have a bomb on em, or think that they are merely taking a plane to another destination, not crashing it). Personally, I think every plane should have a frikken security guard aboard standing there with a gun. And they DEFINITELY need to improve technology AND manpower to check luggage and passengers before anyone is allowed to board a plane. Hey, it may be an inconvenience to us, but better than risking dying in a horrible firey death eh?

yeah, what if they bribe the security guard? human mind can always be exploited or exploiting others

chances are, the terrorists won't hijack planes, at least for a while before everyone loses their guard

they might do something else, though

IF they causes more tragedies, then they ARE terrorists, they ARE attacking our way of lives. if they stop like that, then the whole thing is a set up.