Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2004, 06:03 AM   #21
Azaghal
The Magister

I saw the movie last weekend with my girlfriend. Our opinions about the movie were split. She says it is too long in some parts and does not hold a grip on you as much as "Bowling for Columbine" did. Well, I for my part was fixed on the screen.
But we both agreed that Moore's way of showing things absolutely and 100% subjectively out of his point of view is a good way to make absolutely clear that injustice is injustice is injustice. The war on Irak was not justified and Bush and his mates have a lot of dirt on their hands (not that the others didn't, but that is exactly the point: the others are not in charge). I am very excited whether the Americans send Bush home on a neverending vacation in November (as they should IMHO) and whether we will see Moore bash Kerry as hard and merciless as he does with George W. Then he would be my hero and the last upright defender of Democracy!
Old 09-16-2004, 04:39 PM   #22
coyote696
The Magister

OK, I have not seen this movie, but I have kept up with the stories and read about all of it. In my opinion Bush did the wisest thing by not starting a panic in a classroom full of small children. When you are in a possition of leadership the last thing you want to do is cause panic or hysteria.That in itself would have been absolutely absurd.

Secondly the war in iraq not justified??????????
How can anyone in their right minds say that. I was ther in Desert Storm I saw how the people under Saddams reign were treated, I met alot of really nice people, I got shot at by the iraqies,
I also know that Saddam Used weapons of mass destruction against the Kurds because they helped Us while we were there. But then I guess most of the people here have forgottent this fact.

But then i guess since all or you have forgotten that do you remember what the film was based on? the attack on the twin towers that was Bin Ladden and his terror network, and I do believe that the Iraqie regime was funding it as well as other nations in that region.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:17 AM   #23
The Merciful
The Magister

Smiley

"It was just too political. I was bored from the middle, and I wished we had gone to see "Kill Bill" instead,"
An anonomous Iranian

"It sure is a great country, where someone like Moore trashes the president and gets away with it -- and makes so much money!"
Another anonomous Iranian

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...estyle_iran_us
Old 09-20-2004, 03:30 PM   #24
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
I HATED the scene where he accuses Bush of sitting there and reading "My Pet Goat" with the children. What should he have done? The security man probably told him he should stay in his seat and pretend nothing had happened. It sure as hell is the wisest thing to do in a situation like that.
America's 42nd president obviously picked up some of his skills as a statesman from Rome's 6th Emperor. Maybe they are distantly related. It would explain a lot.
Old 09-20-2004, 08:29 PM   #25
Gab
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
Okay. Let me phrase it differently then: what should Bush have done? I trust he had people in charge of everything while he was on this particular visit to the school, so probably there were people getting things done already.

As a rolemodel I would much rather see a president act calmly, then rush off doing things that were being done anyway.
If you're country's under attack, you don't just sit there and continue reading!!
He should've calmly told the children that he had to go and investigate the situation further.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:05 AM   #26
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by coyote696:

Secondly the war in iraq not justified??????????
How can anyone in their right minds say that. I was ther in Desert Storm I saw how the people under Saddams reign were treated, I met alot of really nice people, I got shot at by the iraqies,
I also know that Saddam Used weapons of mass destruction against the Kurds because they helped Us while we were there. But then I guess most of the people here have forgottent this fact.

But then i guess since all or you have forgotten that do you remember what the film was based on? the attack on the twin towers that was Bin Ladden and his terror network, and I do believe that the Iraqie regime was funding it as well as other nations in that region.
On your first point I have to question the wisdom of improving a people's standard of living by bombing the crap out of them. Saddam was a complete bastard but that does not mean we have to go in guns blazing, and was certainly not why we went in guns blazing. If it were we would not be using Saddams anti-union laws to keep labour rates low, and we would not have re-employed a large number of Baathist factory bosses who'll go on treating their workers like crap. If Bush had the Iraqi people's interests at heart then I'm a duck.

As for the Bin Laden terror links your ignorance astounds me. No such links have ever been proven and are ever likely too. Bin Laden was a bad man, Saddam was a bad man, but that doesn't mean they had links. Meanwhile we know quite a few places Bin Laden certainly did have links with, for example the Saudis, but we aren't bombing them are we? This war was not about terror, or about freedom, it was about cold hard cash.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe
Barry the Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 08:36 AM   #27
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

Saddam may or may not have personally had links with Al Qaeda, but tell me where Zarqawi came from, that's right, he was a high level Al Qaeda operative who got injured in Afganistan and fled to IRAQ for treatment, and he remained there as a guest of the Iraqi state, don't forget to mention the $20k Saddam was offering Palstinian suicide bombers' families, the corrupt blood-for-oil program. He made sure to see that his French and German friends who sold him chemical weapons in the 80's (that he used to kill enough Iranians that they were seriously worried about being able to sustain their population) got choice and lucrative bits of, which in large part helped fuel their opposition to the war which unseated him. all of this has been covered at length in the CE forum, check it out, as John D, Timber, and others made some really great points.

so yes barry, the links between Saddam himself and Al Qaeda may not have panned out, and the CIA botched up the investigation (I still think he sent his chemical weapons to Syria where they were recently tested on civilians (see my latest CE thread)) on the chemical weapons, but there were links between his government and Al Qaeda.
Morgeruat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 10:28 AM   #28
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
America's 42nd president obviously picked up some of his skills as a statesman from Rome's 6th Emperor.
Really? Do tell.
Timber Loftis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 11:33 AM   #29
Dirty Meg
Baaz Draconian

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />America's 42nd president obviously picked up some of his skills as a statesman from Rome's 6th Emperor.
Really? Do tell. </font>[/QUOTE]Nero reputedly played the lute while Rome was on fire.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:44 AM   #30
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Dirty Meg:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />America's 42nd president obviously picked up some of his skills as a statesman from Rome's 6th Emperor.
Really? Do tell. </font>[/QUOTE]Nero reputedly played the lute while Rome was on fire. </font>[/QUOTE]Yes, I understand that. I'm just trying to see how it relates to Bill Clinton.