Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-21-2000, 03:23 PM   #1
Archmagi Wah

For those of you who have got the exp remover, I'm sure some of you have got mages that can cast the level 9 spell - Time Stop.

The problem is that the duration is only a short 6 rounds, so I click furiously trying to decide the best attacks/defence possible.

Normally I use whatever offensive spell that doesn't have an area effect (just in case I hit party members) or I summon monsters that don't have mental battles such as invisible stalkers.

Anyone got a good tactic so that I can use this spell to its full potential and dish out massive hit points or good damage + some defence?

Remember: any tactic will be better than what I do, so don't think that your's is crap!!

Old 11-21-2000, 04:11 PM   #2
[twisti]

Get some descent fighters and beat the heck out of them ? Or does time stop affect your party members also ?

Old 11-21-2000, 04:36 PM   #3
Larr2

Yes, time stop stops all but the very one who cast it, and lasts 30 seconds. What I do is once the spell is cast, pick out the stongest enemies, and give my melee fighters the command to advance on them, then I cast a few spells (having Arie as the caster helps because she has both clerical and mage spells on hand), at the remaining foes, until time comes back on.
** When I got to the Mind Flayer area, it was too much to bare, so I cheat-coded a few imprisonment spells into Aerie's inventory (justified as a gift from Lady Tymora, goddess of Good-luck), and when I cast time stop, I ran around and imprisoned everyone. When Time stop wore off...well, I had fewer enemies to mess with, and I still get the exp. points for erasing them from the action. (blessed be that Lady Tymora)

Old 11-21-2000, 04:55 PM   #4
Archmagi Wah

LOL, nice one Larr!! I didn't know that you could choose who came back and who didn't so basically I thought that Time Stop means I have to do all the work!!

Another great way to kill is to cast wail of the banshee twice during time stop - this really busts their ears because most enemies fail the save. Also another fav might be to get all the party members to stand behind me, then I simply cast stoneskin - time stop and some prismatic sprays. (god I love this spell!!!!!!!!!)

About imprisoning enemies for experience, if you free them afterwards and fight them again -do you get MORE experience? Tell me if you know Larr OK?

May the goddess of magic see to your prevail

Old 11-21-2000, 05:26 PM   #5
Jon Irenicus
Elminster

I always use in a few ways.
1. I cast it then cast finger of death a few times.
2. Cast it then use summoning spells.
3. Use it with a fighter/mage then beat the hinds of the eniemes
Old 11-22-2000, 09:46 AM   #6
Larr2

Are you ready for this one, Archmagi Wah ??
I had the Shadow Stone in my hand so that the Shadow Dragon would not kill me. Then I cast imprisonment on him and got the exp. points. Then I brought him back, and did it again, and got more exp!! I freed him again, and took him out a third time, receiving the Exp. points for three slain dragons, but by then Aerie got so tired, she could do nothing else but beg for rest.(heheheheheh)

Old 11-22-2000, 10:06 AM   #7
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Best way to use Time Stop depends on the situation. Assuming we're all cheating (well, not really, just removing the XP Cap):

Use your PAUSE each time you cast a spell. By the way, in response to someone's question above, Time Stop affects everyone but you.

1. Cast Time Stop.
2. Cast Spellstrike if fighting a mage who has his immunities etc up. Or for something like a dragon use Lower Resistance then Greater Malison to make him more vulnerable to Finger of Death or Power Word Kill. For groups, cast an AOE spell that doesn't affect allies, like AbiDalzims Wilting. Symbol Death or Symbol Stun might work too.
3. If you have time cast a protection spell like Spell Trap or Absolute Immunity on yourself. The Time Stop will wear off before you get to finish it but he won't be able to do anything hopefully.

When the Time Stop ends the Spellstrike/Lower Resistance will hit first ripping away his defenses, probably followed by your protection spell which buys you more time, then your AOE spell like Wilting which will hammer him as he has no more immunities. Then if your Protection spell has been cast you will have time to then use something like Power Word Stun which will affect ANY enemy with less than 90 hp. This will buy you yet more time, and you can get your melee guys to finish him off.
Old 11-22-2000, 10:09 AM   #8
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

OR if you're lazy...

1. Time Stop.
2. Protection from Evil.
3. Gate.

End of story. Just make sure your other party members are FAR behind you when you do this, or you are FAR ahead of them, far enough so that the pit fiend doesn't attack them. You don't get any XP for kills the pit fiend makes, but you can attack it while under the Protection from Evil spell and it will not fight back. Easy 16000 XP.