Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal

Old 06-27-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Shocked Coming out of the closet

ToB Spoilers...
dot
dot
dot

================================================== ====

Ok guys, right here, right now, I am coming out of the closet...

I just beat ToB for the first time.

There, I said it. After years and years of considering the BG saga my favorite game of all time, I finally got to complete it. Up until now, by the time I beat Yaga Shura one of my friends would somehow lure me into a new game (NWN, WoW, etc) and by the time I decided I wanted to give BG another try I would have thought of a new character and I would want to play the entire trilogy again, therefore investing the time in a new BG1 + BG2 game rather than continuing past Yaga Shura. Rinse and repeat.

After my latest new character (Cleric Mage that I actually ran through BG1 and posted here asking advice for its BG2 party) I finally smacked myself in the head and decided to load my old Fighter Mage that I already had in ToB. It has been a blast and I finally ditched my potential hot chicks, rock'n'roll and loads of booze life as a God to live a low profile life with Viconia and form a family. Keldorn, Sarevok, Edwin and Imoen were the other final members of the party, with Korgan filling it until ToB.

I now consider myself worthy enough to post in ToB discussions.

Ultra evil solo sorceror, here I come! (Dundee, get ready for questions!)
Old 06-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Default Re: Coming out of the closet

Goody!

Don't worry, you're not the only one. The powergaming and linearity of ToB have scared away many a player before . . . well, not so much "scared" as "been less appealing than starting from scratch all over again." Congratulations.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:18 AM   #3
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Spoiler reminder...

Yeah, I think that up to Yaga Shura the plot is tolerable even if linear, but once you get to Amkethran it's just "go here and there and kill all these people". No one has a damn thing to say after you kill these people, not even people in the town you just supposedly rescued. Not to mention the ultra stupid "I haven't shown up since 3 chapters ago but I happen to be the final boss" thing.

It's also kind of short - I don't know if I have missed anything but my characters had only around 6-7 million xp by the time I finished the game. I usually have the opposite problem (I hit the cap too early) so I am somewhat puzzled.

The BG series will still be my fav game of all time, but ToB is clearly below the other two games.

BG: 10
TotSC: 8 (Durlag is great, the ice island is OK, the werewolves area is annoying).
BG2:SoA: 10
ToB: 5

I almost wish there weren't any expansions to any of the two games and Durlag's and Watcher's were just part of the core.

Last edited by Xanthul; 06-28-2009 at 05:24 AM.
Xanthul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:05 AM   #4
ElfBane
Mephistopheles

Begin whine: My gripe is that the ToB 'final boss' is soooo hard to beat. She even cheats. But right now I'm close to the end of BG1 and I'm doing an "Enigma" run(just to say I did it). When I get to the 'final boss' ,,,,,if she's still near impossible to beat,,,, I'll just insta-kill my way to the end....because I've never seen the endgame movie. End whine.

Iraq and Afghan fatalities: 6,855 and counting. Silence IS consent.
ElfBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:10 PM   #5
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

Well the final boss didn't seem overly difficult to me (I don't have any Improved anything mods though, just the official patch and the widescreen mod, Insane difficulty level). I "cheated" in a way though because I saved between the different stages, but a few decoy swords and devas plus whirlwinds from my three tanks worked just fine, I only had to reload a couple of times for the fallen solar and I had plenty of spells and whirlwinds left when the whole thing was over.

I found Draconis and specially Abazigal to be the only challenging boss fights in all of ToB. The rest of the Bhaal spawn and Demogorgon were kind of disappointing.

I will probably install the improved bosses for my solo sorc and see how it goes.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:13 PM   #6
Kazilan
Elminster

Mahjong Solitaire Champion

I'll admit that I still have not beaten TOB. Made it to the final boss once and got fed up with it. Now whenever I play, I quit right around Yaga-shura for the reasons mentioned by Xanthul above. Maybe someday I'll beat it. TOB is such a letdown after Irenicus.

six, how is your improved kitpack going? Looking forward to the wizard slayer changes.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #7
SixOfSpades
Dracolisk

Version 2 of the Kitpack is puttering along--I got fed up with it and stopped for a while, but I'm back on it now. It's still months away, though, sorry.