Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-11-2005, 03:52 PM   #1
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I have a problem, and I'm wondering if anyone can help me with it.

It's about the favorites. Sometimes I'll run out of power for a second, or my computer will crash, reboot... Then I'll restart, and my firefow will be wiped. It's going to be back to the default gray UI and I will have lost all my favorites.

When it happened to me, I lost about half my favorite. All the favorite that were not in a folder were gone and half the folders were gone too. Then it happened to my brother too on his computer, and he lost all his favorites.

This is really annoying. Yes, I know I can make backups and I do now, but I shouldn't have to backup every coule of wee just to feel safe.

Why is it doing this? Is there a way to get them back when it happen? I thought maybe the program just lost a registry key and they might still be in a file somewhere, but I couldn't find them.

[ 10-12-2005, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 10-11-2005, 04:38 PM   #2
Hivetyrant
Jack Burton

Sounds pretty strange to me, could it be that Firefox empties its cache when an unexpected shutdown occurs?

I think we need Lennon on the case for this one, as it sounds like something Firefox is doing, rather than your PC.

Sorry, I can't help
Hivetyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 05:00 PM   #3
Jorath Calar
Harper

I had thjis problenm, asked about it here and no one could help, so I did some investiugative journalism and found the solution...

Start menu > Run
browse to the firefox exe and add /userprofile

When it starts you get a list of userprofiles and can find your old one there...

You may now kiss my ring... [img]smile.gif[/img]
Jorath Calar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 05:12 PM   #4
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Thanks, this should fix the problem my brother had, but it does not explain mine. No ring kissing yet. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Luvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 06:32 PM   #5
LennonCook
Jack Burton

Known bug. See the bug report on it - there are a few solutions there.

EDIT: erroneous comma

[ 10-11-2005, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:00 PM   #6
VulcanRider
Lord Soth

You lose power and your computer crashes & reboots -- and this isn't a problem? Sounds like the way to fix your browser problem is to add a UPS...

-----
Help feed animals in shelters with just a mouse click at The Animal Rescue Site !!
VulcanRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 12:13 AM   #7
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

I just tried the /userprofile thing to see if it would do someting and it did nothing, but then I don't remember ever being asked to create a profile.

What file is the file with the favorites? I'd really like to know that. If I had known which one it was I could have salvaged it, in the case of my brother's problem.

About my problem, that link didn't explain it. In that bug report, people lost all their informations, just like my brother. Me, I just lost half my favorites. It seemed like the file got half of it deleted. Like I said, all the favorites that were not in a folder were lost, and out of the 10 folders I had, only 5 or so were left. Those left still had their favorites in them.

[ 10-12-2005, 12:34 AM: Message edited by: Luvian ]
Old 10-12-2005, 10:01 AM   #8
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

open "my computer", c:documents and settings, your user profile, application data, mozilla, firefox, profiles, if you didn't set one yourself open the one that ends in .default and open the bookmarks.html you should have it there, if there's more than one profile check the bookmarks in each to get your most current and switch to that profile from Firefox's tools menu.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:27 PM   #9
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Found it thanks. but if I'm using the default profile, I get the bug and firefox forget my info, won't opening firefox reassign to the profile the default favorites so overwrite the file?

How do I create a profile?
Old 10-12-2005, 06:28 PM   #10
LennonCook
Jack Burton

firefox -p or if that doesn't work, firefox -profilemanager .

And no, it won't overwrite your bookmarks. It will create a new profile, with a new directory name - notice those 8 random characters before '.default'? They are just that - random.

[ 10-12-2005, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: LennonCook ]
LennonCook is offline   Reply With Quote