Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 04-19-2004, 04:14 PM   #31
Kzonon
Dungeon Master

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Retriever is a long haired that will shed in the warm weather (If there are seasons, where you are). Whereas the mini-pin is a short haired breed which doesn't shed (or doesn't shed as much ). Less clean-up and you don't have to explain hair stuck to your clothes at work.

Kz
Old 04-20-2004, 07:21 AM   #32
Ehrys
Manshoon

Folks, that is most excellent information! Thank you so much! Thoran, thanks for elaborating on quite a few diff dog types there... wife's a dog trainer and she'll be at the CNE? Cool.

All in all... sounds like the golden retriever is the way to go so far... only bad thing I'm hearing about them is the shedding hair and need for excercise (which should be ok, I have need of more excercise than it does I'm sure)

One more question if y'all don't mind: what's a mutt? A friend of mine told me that if you're looking for a dog with a good personality, look for a mutt....

?
Old 04-20-2004, 07:36 AM   #33
Skippy1
Elminster

Mutt = bitsa (bits of this and bits of that) = Mongrel!
Old 04-20-2004, 12:38 PM   #34
Thoran
Galvatron

Yea my wife was at the CNE with Jack (Jumping Jack Flash) for two weeks last year and I expect she'll be up there this year too. If you see him you'll recognize him immediately, he's got a Dalmation coat (white with black spots) but is shaped like a small grayhound. He's very fast and Jen usually does frisbee tricks with him at Superdog shows.

I talked to Jen last night and she said she's met a number of Min-Pins and that they were very nice dogs.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:55 PM   #35
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Sheding or non-Sheding???

Bedlington Terriers make for a nice lap dog and they don't shed. Do some research on the breeder though as traditionally I heard they were breed for pit fighting and hunting animals that like to crawl in holes, rats, Badgers, etc. They also may be a little pricey as they are somewhat a rare breed in North America. They are also higher maintenance when it comes to things like grooming. The few I know are gentle and enjoys play with the house cats (I would still recommend keeping a close eye on them), and they like to curl up with you.

http://www.sireel.com/content/bedlin...dlingtons.html

If you are looking for a dog that is smart, has a great personality and you can toss a Frisbee with, go jogging with then maybe an Australian Shepherd is more to your liking. They are actually my favorite dogs. They are usually pretty clean and easy to train bathroom wise but they do shed quite a bit. Other then the shedding they are my favorite. I would take the Aussies over the labs anyday. A big back yard is a plus if you own this dog.

Funny story about my fiancés old aussie who is very friendly and was originally used for herding. This occurred when we first moved in together I was out doing some yard work with the shovel and I felt this nipping on the back of my calf. This was her dog thinking I was up to no good and I guess he was trying to heard me back onto the deck. He doesn't do that anymore as I scolded him for it and he seems used to me now but I thought it was humorous.

http://www.sireel.com/content/aussies/aussies.html

[ 04-20-2004, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 04-20-2004, 04:49 PM   #36
pritchke
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

Quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:
Nobody likes a German Sheperd? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Do all large dogs emit that particular doggie odor?
As far as I know all dogs omit that doggie odor but it just seems stronger off larger dogs possibly because they are larger. It seems stronger when they are hot. It could also be a sign your dog needs a good bath. I am no expert but I find that after a good bath the smell is not so bad anymore.

[ 04-20-2004, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: pritchke ]
Old 04-20-2004, 05:02 PM   #37
Aelia Jusa
Iron Throne Cult

Tetris Champion
Quote:
Originally posted by Ehrys:

All in all... sounds like the golden retriever is the way to go so far... only bad thing I'm hearing about them is the shedding hair and need for excercise (which should be ok, I have need of more excercise than it does I'm sure)
Great post, Thoran [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] - totally agree [img]smile.gif[/img] . One breed you might consider if you're not into shedding, or if anyone in your family is allergic to dog hair, is a poodle or poodle cross. They have wool not hair so it doesn't shed at all, and is non-allergenic, you just need to get it clipped every 6 weeks or so. Labradoodles are fantastic dogs - Labrador-poodle crosses, they're actually used for guide dogs as well because of their intelligence and great temperament.

Cross-breeds (mutts) can often be really good dogs - often more hardy and less prone to injuries than purebreds, however the only problem is you don't know exactly what you're going to get with a mutt. Relatives of mine got a little puppy from the pound many years ago and because it had fairly small feet they assumed it would be a small dog when it grew - big dogs usually have large overgrown puppy feet - a year later and they were looking after a huge big shaggy mutt . A lovely dog but not what they expected. At least with a purebreed or a controlled cross-breed you can be confident of exactly what it's going to look like and what sort of upkeep you'll be expecting [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2004, 05:56 PM   #38
Cienden
Manshoon

I had a Collie/German Shepherd cross that was pretty good dog from puppy and up. Shed a lot though. Eesh! And it's fur wasn't particularly long. Very smart, but she only liked people from our family. Anyone else took awhile to get used to.

Also had a Vizla. Best dog I ever had. He'd let kids do anything to him (one of my visiting cousins tried turning his nostrils out) and he never got aggressive. Also was fine with visitors if we introduced them to him so he knew they were ok.