Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2001, 07:05 PM   #11
Gaelic
Elminster

I say we all go with pig-latin!

------------------
Gaelic
Old 07-24-2001, 07:17 PM   #12
tracey
Manshoon

no. no. (very excited) how about we speak in tongues? (hey, just go and visit the yorick thread - you'll get it).
Old 07-24-2001, 07:19 PM   #13
tracey
Manshoon

sorry. i'm crying with hysterical laughter at the thought. shit. hope no-one from that thread enters this one -- oops
Old 07-24-2001, 07:21 PM   #14
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

In the past, it has been our habit to post mainly in English. Of course posts in other languages are done and are welcomed by those who can read them, but entire threads devoted to non-English posts have been labeled as such and often translations were included so everyone could enjoy reading them.

There is obviously nothing wrong with some postings in other languages, we are an international lot...but keep in mind that Ertai's points are very valid as well. The majority by far, has English as their common language and the board IS based in an English Speaking country. Non-English posts may not be understood by moderators who must maintain the standards of the forum (ie: watch for use of obscenity, topics unfit for children , insults/flames etc) and cannot do their jobs if they cannot follow an entire thread.

I will say that I do not object to seeing the occasional threads on languages and postings in various languages, myself. It is fascinating to me, but then I studied a few over the years. Having said this, I'm going to add that I would be left out completely from entire threads held exclusively in say- Spanish, French or even German which I have studied a little. You do exclude the bulk of the members by holding an entire thread in another language.

Cloudy, with her 2 cents worth

------------------

Raindancer of the Laughing Hyenas Clan
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight: Heart Mind Soul Forever
"To sleep, perchance to dream..."
Old 07-24-2001, 07:23 PM   #15
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by MILAMBER:
Asian signs on buildings in Southern California. There are a couple of cities that I can't even drive in because all of the signs on the stores are in some other asian language. It is like I crossed over some invisible border to a different country. This is supposed to be America for the love of Buddha!

Mm. I have some fellow-feeling with you Milamber! It irritates me, as well, to go to areas in my own city and be unable to understand either the signs or the language the people are speaking in the streets...
But I keep telling myself it is only temporary. The UK - like America - has 'hosted' many 'aliens' - Romans, Normans, 'Vikings' Angles, Saxons, etc. When these people first came into the country (invaded, lol!) they spoke their own language, used their own written language, and the currently 'ingigenous' population were shoved aside... but in the fullness of time, the invader was absorbed. OK, so the indigenous population had to alter somewhat to absorb them, but the invaders DID gradually become British. The same will happen with our current 'invaders'. The British and the American will change to absorb them - but they will become British, or American, and we will have grown and been enriched in the process... it is just a bit difficult to appreciate that at the moment... sigh!

------------------

Old 07-24-2001, 07:27 PM   #16
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by tracey:
no. no. (very excited) how about we speak in tongues? (hey, just go and visit the yorick thread - you'll get it).
sorry. i'm crying with hysterical laughter at the thought. shit. hope no-one from that thread enters this one -- oops
Sorry Tracey - already here!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 07-24-2001).]

Old 07-24-2001, 07:29 PM   #17
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by tracey:
Tracey,

I, for one, don't find your posts amusing or particularly useful to this discussion.

Cloudbringer

------------------

Storm-Queen
Old 07-24-2001, 07:36 PM   #18
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Djinn Raffo:
Isnt the US a multi-cultural and multi-lingual nation with no official
language? It is a nation of immigrants after all. I could be wrong
but in multi-cultural nations (of which i come from one: Canada) any language
goes on signs...except Quebec where if its not french you get fined!
Of course it is, Djinn, but think for a minute here. What languages do you NOT speak and would you like to be left out of several possibly interesting threads because you couldn't follow them? It happens that English is the biggest common denominator language-wise, that's all.

Cloudy

------------------

Storm-Queen
Old 07-24-2001, 07:48 PM   #19
debiler
Red Wizard of Thay

I didn´t want to offend anyone with my -germans- thread. I only thought that this would be the best way to reach some other german-speaking members whose profile doesn´t include their hometown or country. Even people from the Netherlands replied. I thought that is what such a forum is all about. And, I can assure you, we did not write anything offensive. So, if it doesn´t become a regular way of posting and is reduced to a special thread like mine, noone should care.To Ertai: I understand that the moderators need to maintain the terms of membership and will try to give my best by posting most of my messages in english. THX

------------------
-UCANTZEECALIFORNIAWITHOUTMARLONBRANDOSEYEZ-
Old 07-24-2001, 07:51 PM   #20
Fljotsdale

Quote:
Originally posted by Cloudbringer:
Tracey,

I, for one, don't find your posts amusing or particularly useful to this discussion.

Cloudbringer

Aw, c'mon, Cloudy! She's only joking! Nothing wrong with injecting a little humour, irreverence and irrelevance! She makes me laugh, anyway!

------------------