Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 07-13-2001, 11:03 AM   #1
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

why daydream about nice stuff happening to you when you know it won't ever happen, or it is not worth thinking about it? It may happen, but why daydream about it? is it because it is thinking positively? But what is really behind all of it? All you have to do is set a goal, stick to it, and that's it. End of story. Why repeat it to yourself, while looking stupid and all, which are all unecessary?

------------------

Yukishiro Tomoe
Old 07-13-2001, 11:11 AM   #2
Waluin

A quote from Ann of Green Gables:

ANNE: The only real friend I ever had was Katie Morris, and she was only my window friend.

MARILLA: Window friend?

ANNE: I discovered her in the window of Mrs. Thomas' bookcase, which was the only window which hadn't been smashed by her intoxicated husband. I lived with them before the Hammonds. I used to wish I knew the spell to step through the glass into Katie's world, which was so beautiful.

MARILLA: I don't think you should have window friends anymore.

ANNE: My greatest wish, apart from staying at Green Gables, would be to have a bosom friend.

MARILLA: A what kind of friend?

ANNE: A bosom friend; a really kindred spirit. I've dreamt of meeting her all my life.

MARILLA: Diana Barry lives over there on Orchard Slope. She's about your age. Her parents are sponsoring the picnic next Sunday. You can meet her.

ANNE: Diana of the Lake of Shining Waters.

MARILLA: For mercy's sake child. You set your heart too much on silly names.

ANNE: What should I call you? May I call you Aunt Marilla?

MARILLA: No. You can call me just plain Marilla. I don't believe in calling people names that are not their own.

ANNE: You could imagine you were my aunt.

MARILLA: No, I could not.

ANNE: Don't you ever imagine things different from they are?

MARILLA: No.

ANNE: Oh, Marilla, how much you miss.

[This message has been edited by Waluin (edited 07-13-2001).]
Old 07-13-2001, 11:16 AM   #3
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

but the sad part is the bringing back to reality. after you dream away into oblivion, you come back to you senses and?

------------------

Yukishiro Tomoe
Old 07-13-2001, 11:16 AM   #4
Absynthe

When I want to do something or achieve some goal, or get something I want, I "daydream" about it to keep focused on what I'm after. I use the daydream to keep checking between where I am and where I want to be, so I can stay on the right path.
If you are talking about daydreaming about a situation that may never occur, or not taking action to make it occur, then I think it might be detrimental. If you use your daydreams as a guide to help you achieve what you desire, they're a good thing. But if spend all your time fantasizing without doing anything, they're not so good.
There's my two cents...

Old 07-13-2001, 11:18 AM   #5
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

daydream as in your fantasy. you dont usually 'daydream' about maintaining a goal. it is too real for you to do so

------------------

Yukishiro Tomoe
Old 07-13-2001, 11:18 AM   #6
Waluin

Quote:
Originally posted by Bahamut:
but the sad part is the bringing back to reality. after you dream away into oblivion, you come back to you senses and?
my quote stands. I cant offer you more than that.
Old 07-13-2001, 11:20 AM   #7
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

hmm.... it can also be a question after you daydream... how much you WILL miss it... but now you go back to it...

------------------

Yukishiro Tomoe
Old 07-13-2001, 11:59 AM   #8
Absynthe

If it bothers you to go back to reality because your reality is so much less than your daydream, you have two choices; Stay in your daydream, which means, essentially, going insane, or change your reality.
Changing your reality is not necessarily an easy thing to do, especially when you're intelligent and empathic. Often the world seems too dark and dreary to be changed, or it seems like too much effort. That's where the daydreams help you to see what might be possible, and maybe inspire you to make the changes you need to be happy.

Old 07-13-2001, 12:05 PM   #9
Lifetime
Red Dragon

You sound pretty self-depressive(is there such a term?)
People daydream because of the hope of a better tomorrow, a better later. If you've got nothing to die for, you've got nothing to live for, and if you dont dream, you wont know what's worth dying for in the first place.

------------------
Why?
Old 07-13-2001, 12:10 PM   #10
Jerome
Knight of the Rose

People also daydream becuase they're bored silly. I think of it as light amusement

Also, daydreaming about the new, extremley attractive girl in your class is the best anti-depresant i know

------------------