Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2001, 01:38 PM   #11
Azrael Abyss
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I LOVE C-64 games. i have an emulator and nearly every game I ever owned on my computer currently and I still find that those old games are as much fun as any game made today. Obviously not as indepth as say BG2 but the fun is there and simple. Its funny because i have effectively turned my Pentium III with 256 MB RAM into a 15 year old computer just to play: MULE, Barbarian, Rockstar Ate My Hampster, Trolls and Tribulations, Bounces, and Defender of the Crown.

Whats sad is a friend of mine and I spent about 2 hours playing barbarian and laughing like morons everytime we would cut each others head off. Whoever created C-64 emulators needs big time praise.

Azrael Abyss

------------------
I'm the prince of sorrow... Woooo!
Old 03-06-2001, 02:18 PM   #12
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

HAHAHAHAHAHA!! Oh Ziroc, you've gone up twenty notches on my 'cool' meter!

I did play some games with a friend's husband (hey, NOT those kind! ) Don't even remember what they were called. They were dos (text) based 'adventures
and loaded by tape. Took forever. Then you maneuvered by asking questions and the syntax was sooo picky. Used stuff like "look chest" or "open door". Moved with keyboard arrows, no mouse then!

And I have a confession my first programs for a computer of my own (only got the first one about 5 yrs ago) were Wordprocessing, greeting card and database programs! Um, anyone surprised?! The only games I played were the built in card games which suited me just fine as I love to play cards. Hearts/Spades / Solitaire.

My first games I bought for my pc (a 233 PI) was Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure, Myst, then the old arcade games (Pac Man and such). When I discovered Age Of Empires, Heroes of Might and Magic and CaesarIII, had to buy the new Gateway PIII 500 last year. LOL Those expansions needed memory and better graphics! hehehe

Hey, Ziroc. Next game you get. Pretend you can't hack it. Go on, just try!

Cloudy

------------------
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Old 03-06-2001, 02:22 PM   #13
KDogRex
Symbol of Cyric

Oh my...
The first games I played on the computer were on a some extremely old system and I have no idea what it was, it was at my friend, John Fick's house and it was Tai Pan, a game all about smuggling in the Orient. It was all over from there. The next phase was a Commodore Colt. I was quickly addicted to F-19 Stealth Fighter, Iceman, and Tank!

------------------

All right you primitave screwheads, listen up! This...is...my...BOOMstick!

[This message has been edited by KDogRex (edited 03-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by KDogRex (edited 03-06-2001).]
Old 03-06-2001, 02:27 PM   #14
Gabriel
Emerald Dragon

Cloudy I know the kind of games you mean. My first ever game was Sphinx, Bastard of a game, 'Go west' 'you have been stamped by elefeants: game over.'
But My favorite game was to be Progammers Revange. 'Pick up cloths' 'Go out side' 'You been arested for pubilic nudity:Game over!' sigh they don't make them like that any more.

My first Pc game was Umatie(?) underworld. Don't know what the spec was as my dad 'borrewed' the machine from his work, strangle the game was already installed.

------------------

Co-president of the Club of Broken Hearts, Burned by love.
Old 03-06-2001, 04:50 PM   #15
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Heh, my first comp was a Commodore 16, we used the first Apple's and TRS (Trash 80's in JC., oh the memories. No such thing as ROM, all our 5 1/4 floppy boot disks getting wiped clean becuase the janitors used the vacuum cleaner near them, oh the days, programming in basic and Fortans. First games were the simple line polygons, original asteroids, pong, original Elite, predecessor of Privateer.
I get a kick out of listening to todays young people complaining about how their new 900 mz P3 with 512k ram, 50 gig hd, is a peice of crap What we wouldn't have given in the old days to even dream that systems like these would exist in the future
Old 03-06-2001, 05:03 PM   #16
Epona
Zartan

Did anyone else have a Sinclair Spectrum? I had one of those when I was (a lot) younger.

It had a rubber keyboard which constantly used to break, but you could mend it by gluing bits of tinfoil to the circuit-thingy underneath!!

Ohh, and the little cassette player that used to sit by the side of it, squeaking away for 20 minutes to load 'The Hobbit' and then the load would fail at the last minute because the tape had warped.

Text adventures were my favorite, I used to write them too (in Basic). The worst bit about them was trying to get the syntax right - you knew that the rope HAD to be tied to the cart, but after trying 40 permutations of "TIE ROPE TO CART" you would give up in disgust. And then the keyboard would break....

Oh yes, those were the days ????? (not!)

------------------

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
Old 03-06-2001, 05:42 PM   #17
Stealthy

Amazing Ziroc, my first game was also EOB, but I played it on the amiga. I am fairly new to the PC, so I still find games novel. Can't wait for Black & White and Neverwinter Nights. EOB had me captivated, as I played AD&D in my youth, but found it difficult to find fellow players as I got older. Did you use the wand, or did you kill him the hard way?

------------------

Charlie's S-Plan diet is no better than his invisibility potion!
Old 03-06-2001, 05:51 PM   #18
The.Relic
Red Dragon

Epona you make me smile Surely you speak of Zork , and those that followed in the genre.
Old 03-06-2001, 05:59 PM   #19
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:

Text adventures were my favorite, I used to write them too (in Basic). The worst bit about them was trying to get the syntax right - you knew that the rope HAD to be tied to the cart, but after trying 40 permutations of "TIE ROPE TO CART" you would give up in disgust. And then the keyboard would break....

Oh yes, those were the days ????? (not!)

Yes! Try 60 permutations! THAT was what was so funny about those games. The interface wasn't consistant. tie rope, tie rope cart, tie cart rope, rope cart, bah screw the rope and the cart :rope tied to the cart, proceed to east wing... HAHAHAHA!

------------------
Storm-Queen
StormCloud of the Black Knight
Old 03-06-2001, 06:04 PM   #20
Hesperex

Arhhh those were the days eh? I remember my first computer back in the early 90's an Amiga 500, It had some great games, early Monkey Islad games, Dune, Wolfenstine and various early RPG's they just seem to have a charm about them that games today do not, (apart from BG,Bg2 that is)

------------------