Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #1
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Default Eragon

I am amazed...Christoffer Paolini is only 26 years old and has still managed to write 3 best sellers in the inheritance saga - I have been waiting rather impatiently for the last book a whole year now and finally there is light at the end of the tunnel....release will be in the fall 2011 with the fourth and last book about Eragon and Saphira.

I have to say the movie sucked almost elephant balls - but the books are among the best fantasy literature I've ever read - and it's been a lot of books!
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Sparhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:11 PM   #2
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Thumbs Down Re: Eragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
I am amazed...Christoffer Paolini is only 26 years old and has still managed to write 3 best sellers in the inheritance saga - I have been waiting rather impatiently for the last book a whole year now and finally there is light at the end of the tunnel....release will be in the fall 2011 with the fourth and last book about Eragon and Saphira.

I have to say the movie sucked almost elephant balls - but the books are among the best fantasy literature I've ever read - and it's been a lot of books!
Aren't they all just ripped off pieces from all the most popular titles in the genre and then rolled into one (i.e. LOTR's, Pern, Shannara etc.)? The reviews on Amazon are merciless.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Default Re: Eragon

I suppose its possible to find some common links - but with the amount of fantasy I've read I can find some link in basically all of Eddings work to Tolkien - even Salvatore has some crappy rip-offs. I don't think that Eragon is quite is bad as people make it out - I find the story engaging and pretty good - I think that many of the people complaining on the Internet are just sour grapes over a young man hitting it off with his books.

but by all means - if Ziroc ( who has a good collection of books himself has read them I would like his input ) and from other users too... it all comes down to personal taste which is why I am named for one of David Eddings characters as he is after all one of my favorite authors.
"Between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius. There was an age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world. Hither came Conan, the cimmarian, sword in hand. It is I, his chronicler who knows well his saga. Now let me tell you of the days of high adventure!"

"Unleash the Casey!"

"Make no mistake, should you choose to test my resolve in this matter, you will be looking at an outcome that will have a finality, that is beyound your comprehension. And you will not counting the days or the months or the years, but milleniums in a place with no doors!"
Old 06-02-2011, 10:54 PM   #4
Dave_the_quack
Baaz Draconian

I agree that it's good writing (especially when you consider the age of the author at the time it was written) but it really does blatantly rip off other popular titles. I believe the best example of this that I can remember is the protagonists honorific of "Bid'Daum" being the EXACT REVERSAL of the honorific of "Muad'Dib" (complete with apostrophe) given to Paul Atreides of the Dune series. My jaw dropped when reading that name in Eragon for the first time...
Dave_the_quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:26 AM   #5
Sparhawk
Quintesson

I think you completely misunderstand - its not a rip off - if you have read the foreword from Paolini he actually mentions that he puts little "easter eggs" in the books as honorary tributes to the greatest of sci-fi.

There are a few of them - among them a direct quote in reference to the old god fra Doctor Who.

But let's say there is rip-offs in the books - I would not say that using a name that looks like another is rip-off - as a struggling writer myself I find it very hard to avoid exploring stuff that has already been breached in other works.

"Unleash the Casey!"

Old 06-07-2011, 03:31 AM   #6
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Point me to the book -- I'm more than happy to read "good" fantasy -- i.e., well written stuff.

I'm yearning for it in fact.

G. Railroad Martin is all I've found so far. I was referred to Erikson's Malazan, but Book 1 "Gardens of the Moon" was shit, so I was told to see later books in the series. That doesn't seem like what I'm looking for.

Please tell me there are good fantasy writers out there who are working on something that is not a re-hash of previous works.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:19 AM   #7
Sparhawk
Quintesson

Timber if you are looking for good fantasy there is plenty out there on the shelves - my recommendations are the following:

Richard A.Knaak Dragonlance and two stand alone WoW novels of epic nature!
Naomi Novik - writes about England/france wars in the 19th century ( added fact is aerial combat on dragons )
Brent Weeks with Night Angel Triology
Trudi Caravan's series about magicians

These are the more "unknown" authors I read - there are plenty more and also many more known authors around though - David Eddings, R.A.Salvatore, Ed Greenwood and Robert Jordan ( whom I dislike ).

"Unleash the Casey!"

Old 06-08-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
SpiritWarrior
Jack Burton

Choc Re: Eragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
Timber if you are looking for good fantasy there is plenty out there on the shelves - my recommendations are the following:

Richard A.Knaak Dragonlance and two stand alone WoW novels of epic nature!
Naomi Novik - writes about England/france wars in the 19th century ( added fact is aerial combat on dragons )
Brent Weeks with Night Angel Triology
Trudi Caravan's series about magicians

These are the more "unknown" authors I read - there are plenty more and also many more known authors around though - David Eddings, R.A.Salvatore, Ed Greenwood and Robert Jordan ( whom I dislike ).
Yeah I am on the same page with many of those authors. I don't think Richard A Knaak is very good either though. I read Khaz the Minotaur and fell asleep halfway through it. Very dissapointed - had to force myself to finish it just so I could put it away - forever.

RAS is OKAY. He is not great, kinda stumbled unto mainstream success with Drizzt, but his writing bogs down. I find he spends to much time on simple things and too little time on interesting things making his writing kinda dry, cold. Good characters but they lack charisma. I read alot of his books back in the day but wouldn't have the appetite for them now. I think the whole "Drow exile from the Underdark" concept is compelling enough to attract younger people who don't know any better. If you want a more "realistic" Drow exile story look into "Daughter of The Drow" by Elaine Cunningham.

I tried Book 1 of Jordans Wheel of Time series and almost fell asleep from boredom too. Same with Eddings' stuff. Brought them back to the library after a day. Maybe it's just personal taste.

Greenwood is horrible. He should stick only to writing rulebooks. No business writing novels at all - ever.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #9
T-D-C
Ironworks Moderator

Try some Sara Douglass. SHe is not writing so much now (due to a battle with cancer) but her early Battleaxe, Enchanter & Starman books I found good.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:22 AM   #10
Wolf Rider2
Elminster

Sparhawk - I agree with you on the Night Angel trilogy. Grittiest set of books I've read in a while. Rereading them at the moment.

T-D-C - I read Battleaxe and liked it, I take it the other two were good as well?
Wolf Rider2 is offline   Reply With Quote