Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 02-26-2001, 03:12 PM   #21
Master Togi

Hmm....so what do you mean by "reitre"?

Old 02-26-2001, 03:53 PM   #22
Tobbin_OHF

Retire means to stop playing with that character and leave them in the vault until there is a 2nd game that comes out allowing you to go to a higher level. You can still keep the character, but the game will not allow you to gain experience. Your choice. Sai Le Garet.

Old 02-26-2001, 07:12 PM   #23
Charlie
Lord Ao

Hi.

Yes good point re thaco Hesperex although I would still like to have that "feeling" that I've developed my proficiencies as I would like them but keeping within the rules. I've been through both BG1 & BG2 manuals and there's no mention of any penalisation regarding any m/c characters or their abilities. Are you sure about thieves being penalised. I'm doing BG1 and my m/c thief gets 20 points to assign on level up every go. I thought that 20 per level was max' for BG1.

Oh yeah, maybe I'm backward but I like to think of my bloke as a fighter who does a little thieving to make the day go by.....and cos he can
Old 02-27-2001, 12:06 AM   #24
Charlie
Lord Ao

Another thing for me concerning rights and wrongs is thieving. If I get caught borrowing something from somebody then the whole area turns against the whole party. If I'm miles away from the rest of the party and I'm caught I don't think that it's right that the rest of the party has to go to war. There could be a throw or something that decides if the aggrieved bloke will know if the thief is associated with the rest of the party but if you're on one side of town borrowing and the rest of the group is on the other, then how could the lender know that the rest of the party is involved (which they aren't.) Same if I enter a house alone for a little...err clear out and am seen testing the owners goods and chattels for pocket fitment. If another member goes there later, (possibly not knowing about the previous weeks chattel adjustments) then it shouldn't automatically be that the owner is aggresive to people that he couldn't possibly associate with my collecting spree. This is particularly true in M/player games where other players are A) unaware and B) powerless to prevent my lightening the loads of those slightly richer than myself. It would be good too if there was a chance that after X time that the townsfolk or individual would forget what the thief looked like. There's nothing quite like leaving an area whilst screaming LLLLEEEEGGGGG IITT to the other players, but it would be good if you could tentatively go back with a % chance of getting away with it or being remembered.

Just a thought.
Old 02-27-2001, 12:19 AM   #25
Tobbin_OHF

Ah, but you've stumbled upon the limits of computer games, Charlie. I gather that's why you have such a well to do shop. LOL. There is only so much realism that the programmers can do with the limited amounts of technology that they have. True that technology is growing faster and faster, but it seems that everyone wants to put everything into special F/X and/or areas to visit. What you suggest could be programmed in, but instead of having a way to cover all the possibilites of thieving (multi-player/single-player/areas/people/etc.) the programmers are covering the game itself. You'll just have to wait for holography systems for what you want, Charlie. And even then, it may be limited. Sai Legit Arie Tae Naboh En pardee.

Old 02-27-2001, 09:32 AM   #26
Draggor
Zhentarim Guard

If you really want a good fighter thief I think you'll have to dual class instead. I'm running a level 10 thief dualed to a fighter now in BG2 and I got five proficincies in the one weapon. That restriction on proficincies for multi characters is crap. Like you said I don't know of any other classes that are restricted like that when multi classed except equipment restrictions.
Old 02-27-2001, 10:05 AM   #27
BLACK KNIGHT

Think of Proficiencys like this: It is really easy for a fighter type to learn a weapon to the point where it is not a detriment to the fighter IE they won't stab themselves more often then the opponent. BUT it takes a lot of time and practice to go from Master to Grand Master Wielder of said weapon. Now if you are a Fighter/Thief or F/M then you are spending time doing your thieving skills or learning your spell book that you don't have the time to put in the effort to get to Grandmaster status. Same reason that the Paladin can be more proficient in weapons. They spend their "free time" doing more than practice the sword. So to say that to put a point into small sword that you haven't use ever makes less sense than to put a point into that long sword to make you Grandmaster doesn't exactly mesh. It is easier to pick up a new weapon and learn how to wield it than to raise your ability in an old one. This is from a gaming point of view. IMHO. Hope this helps.

BK

Old 02-27-2001, 10:31 AM   #28
Charlie
Lord Ao

Hi BK.

Yes I understand your logic and it's sound to a point....but
If I have 1,000,000 exp' that is divided between two classes at 500,000 each. It may be that a single class fighter can achieve grand mastery at 1 mill' points (just example figures) and that a m/c character can never achieve this, but let's say that he (s/c) becomes 3 point proficient at 750,000 well then why shouldn't a m/c bloke that's devoted the same amount of time to his craft be equally as weapon proficient as his s/c counterpart at the same level of experience? This is what I can't get my nut around.
Old 02-27-2001, 10:41 AM   #29
Tobbin_OHF

It has to do with their age. Most characters just simply don't have the desire to devote themselves to be the grand master they could be. It's all perspective really. It was one way that the game designers decided to equal out all the classes. This will be changing in the 3rd edition rules. It's just something to suffer through for now. Think about how many years it takes for a m/c character to get to ripe old age. Most of them just want to be a jack of all trades. This restriction is removed if they are single class though. Cause they have decided what to excel in. They devote their whole life to this concept.

Old 02-27-2001, 11:03 AM   #30
Hellfire
Elite Waterdeep Guard

hum, i just wanted to throw in my two cents in,i think that you should get bonuses for having a higher than "barely able to breath by its self" intellengence.everyone knows that to make a really good fighter you need a 18+ str. 18 dex 18 con,yet the guy/girl could be puzzled with a brick for hours.when a horse is smarter than your character,how in the hell can he even specialize in anything.and the same for lack of intellengence should penalize your character,even wisdom could have an impact in this....i think this could work like Lore ability here ,this would keep it realistic atleast