Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2001, 04:05 PM   #1
diesel44
Dungeon Master

Hello,

I just bought the game this weekend and I have some questions. I played the gold box games a long time ago, so I'm a little familiar. I would appreciate any help. Pardon my ignorance if any of these questions are ridiculous.

I am considering split classing a fighter to a mage at the beginning of the game, Is this a good idea? Should I start with a mage and split to a fighter?

What do all of the elements of a weapon description mean i.e 1d8+1 versus 2d4?

Do the drawbacks of the Kensai fighter become annoying later in the game, if so which type of fighter would you recommend?

What do bracers AC+1 do? I thought lower AC was better

Thanks in advance for any help in answering any/all of these questions
Old 03-12-2001, 04:14 PM   #2
Accord
Ninja Storm Shadow

Many would consider (including I) fighter/mages are the most powerful class in the game (given similar level comparisons) since the character can dish out melee damages while able to cast spells.
I would recommend splitting from fighter (kensai or berserker) to mage, since you get good hitpoints and it is better to develop a mage at high level than fighter (afterall, you can only be so specialized in one or two weapons).
In my opinion, I like berserkers better than kensais since they can wear armor and the enrage ability makes berserkers immune to some of the more dangerous spells like imprisonment in the game.
Keep one thing in mind if you are dual classing that you won't gain the 1st class's abilities and bonuses until the 2nd class's level is at least 1 level higher than the first class.

------------------
Long live H22A1!!!!!
Old 03-12-2001, 04:46 PM   #3
Kargon
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I know your new to this and so am i but did you know the most facinating thing coes with the game?Its called a manual.READ IT
Old 03-12-2001, 04:54 PM   #4
Xanthul
Symbol of Cyric

the "d" in the weapons means "dice", so a 1D8 would be from 1 to 8 damage
2D4 from 2 to 8 (that is from 1 to 4 plus another from 2 to 4)
etc

about fighter dualed to mage, i would choose a berserker (or kensai) and dual it from the start (or you could raise it a level and then dual). And when you are already dualed and you have recovered your 1st class´ skills, be aware that you cant cast spells if you wear armor.

------------------
"Let my spells do the dirty work" Ertai, High Sorceror of the Holy Flame