Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 02-23-2002, 09:16 AM   #1
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

Hi guys,
im writing to ask your opinions on a subject that my friends and i cannot decide . Okay my band and i have a gig at the local town hall in a few weeks and we cant decide whether to play a specifc song or not. this seems very mundane i know but i ask you all as the sng we want to play will only work for the surprise element. I dont know if any of you will be familiar with Ice- T's brief foray into the world of death metal with a band called body count? if so.....remember that cntreversial songthey did Cop killa? well thats the song, its just im worried we'll get arrested for it or something so how woul yu ract (know ing song's content) if we played it. thanks

(The reason for playing this is no more than for ceesyearly 90's metal piss take [img]smile.gif[/img] )
Old 02-23-2002, 09:42 AM   #2
J'aran
Mephistopheles

Can you really get arrested for playing a song like that? I'm familiar with the song's contents, and while controversial, I wouldn't worry too hard. At least, not if I would be playing it in a civilized country. Where's the gig taking place?

I would probably play it, if only for shock value, if there even is such a thing left in today's metal scene.
Old 02-23-2002, 12:38 PM   #3
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

in the u.s. you would be ok.but i have no idea what kind of laws you might have about hurtful speech.some places are strange that way.i am for total freedom of speech.but of course that doesn't mean you have to be taken seriously.so play it and see what happens.
Old 02-23-2002, 04:30 PM   #4
andrewas
Harper

AFAIK in Scotland they cant arrest you for singing a song. Unless its go lewd conent and is sung to minors or something, but Cop Killa shoudnt get any more than a shocked audience. Hey, they even let the Eminem crap on the radio, so I dont see them kicking up a fuss over this. Although I dont think ive ever listened to Cop Killa all the way through.
Old 02-23-2002, 04:39 PM   #5
Talthyr Malkaviel
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

quote:
Originally posted by khazadman:
in the u.s. you would be ok.but i have no idea what kind of laws you might have about hurtful speech.some places are strange that way.i am for total freedom of speech.but of course that doesn't mean you have to be taken seriously.so play it and see what happens.

Well, actually it was in USA where the uproar about it occured, and uhhh, what was that other one, ummmm, Straight outta Compton.
I don't think they'll do anything though, I don't see why they should care unless you actually go kill some cops.
Old 02-24-2002, 05:41 AM   #6
Katherine
Zhentarim Guard

quote:
Originally posted by Madman-Rogovich:
I dont know if any of you will be familiar with Ice- T's brief foray into the world of death metal with a band called body count? if so.....remember that cntreversial songthey did Cop killa? well thats the song...

You should play it and play "■■■■ The Police" by NWA with it.

I remember a particular demonstration march in San Francisco... we were all marching down Mission Street and the police were swarming around us because of the curfew (during the Gulf War, I believe) and someone had a loud speaker and was playing "■■■■ The Police." It was so funny- the juxtaposition of our situation with that song playing and the police closing in on us. Oh, to be young and in "babylon by the bay" again.

What does your band normally play? My friend and I were into making industrial sound schemes for a while, but nothing ever came of it.
Old 02-24-2002, 09:42 AM   #7
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

yeah,there was an uproar about it.but that was all.i don't remember it getting alot of air play though.of course i am from the south and we DO NOT go for that kind of s**t down here.nor do we have any of these stupid little leftist protests.

------------------------
government that governs best,governs least.
Old 02-24-2002, 05:41 PM   #8
Madman-Rogovich
Lord Soth

quote:
Originally posted by Katherine:

You should play it and play "■■■■ The Police" by NWA with it.

I remember a particular demonstration march in San Francisco... we were all marching down Mission Street and the police were swarming around us because of the curfew (during the Gulf War, I believe) and someone had a loud speaker and was playing "■■■■ The Police." It was so funny- the juxtaposition of our situation with that song playing and the police closing in on us. Oh, to be young and in "babylon by the bay" again.

What does your band normally play? My friend and I were into making industrial sound schemes for a while, but nothing ever came of it.

■■■■ tha police is a great song but our band has six instruments and the NWA version is very much sample orientated so if it all it would be the RATM version which i easy to play but maybe too musically simple (no nice tom morello solos etc) i guess we will play copklla after all it just i was worried cause the police will be attending as this local bands night has a habit of getting turned into a riot which we would not want to incite! As for our kind of music the band iplay with now is pretty heavy but we indulege in MEtallica etc too... speaking of Industrial me and a DJ friend not so long ago made a techno/drum and bass/industrial duo...him playing really fast heavy beats and me laying down some distorted chords of death.!! great fun