Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Entertainment (Movies, TV Shows and Books/Comics)

Old 10-21-2002, 06:57 PM   #1
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

This is the beginning of my new story about Veldren, the son of Viconia and Attalus. (See my prev story, The Siege of Baldur's Gate. here

One crisp winter morning in the old and famous city of Baldur's Gate, a magician walking to a morning meeting was ruffled by the passage of a sprinting youth who tore past her in a flurry of feet, brushing her cloak. The affronted mage was about to send a mild curse, like an hour's hiccups or a nose pimple towards the boy, but he turned around and doffed his velvet cap from his crisp black curls and flashed her a grin that melted her animosity. Such a handsome boy, she though to herself as she continued on her way.
The boy ran on, trying to avoid any other passers-by, past a huge bronze statue. He did not pause to study it, for he knew it all too well. It depicted three fighting figures. One was an apparently human warrior with fine features set in a stern gaze, concentrating on his target, the throat of a hideous figure that seemed to be elfin by its ears, but whose face contained eight eyes and was set in an expression of mindless animosity. The man's great sword was in full swing at the thing's neck. The third figure was an elfin woman in armor whose beautiful face was set in a fierce scowl as she aimed a great hammer at the monster's mid-section. The whole effect was of Right destroying Wrong, brave beings beating down brutality with righteous anger. The youth pulled his cap free again and waved it at the statue in salute, as he always did. "Hi, Mom and Dad," he shouted.
Sir Attalus Delange, Duke of Baldur's Gate, and his lovely wife, the drow elf Viconia, were enjoying a late breakfast on their balcony overlooking Thanksgiving Square when they heard the clatter of feet on the staircase. Viconia half-rose and called out, "Veldren, is that you?" The clatter stopped, to be replaced by slower steps that headed their way.
The aforementioned youth, now in fine color from the flush of his run, stepped out on the balcony and bent to kiss his mother on the cheek. She was still just as lovely as the first day that he had seen her, Attalus thought with a smile, remembering the startlement that he had felt when a drow woman had come rushing up to him, demanding help from a pursuing militiaman. Even then, when she should have been in fear of her life, she had seemed lovely and naive to him, rushing up to a stranger in all confidence. His life had changed forever that day. He had never regretted any of it, even now as he had grown middle-aged and gray, while she remained as beautiful as a painting by some unknown master.
Viconia sedately accepted her son's salute. She then shook her finger at him. "Veldren," she said sternly, "you should have been at your dancing class an hour ago. The dancing master has sent a messenger, asking where you are. Off hunting again, I suppose? Why your father and I spend good money on training for you while you ignore it is beyond me. Were this the Underdark, I would have you whipped soundly."
Veldren flashed her the smile that had melted the heart of the irked mage. "But, Mother dear," he replied, "I was on the trail of a winter wolf. There has never been one seen in these parts, Paoli said." Paoli was the hunting master. "I wanted to get you a new pelt to replace the one that Father gave you and you made a robe of. It's getting rather ratty," he ended impudently.
Viconia smacked him on the wrist with the hilt of her eating knife. "Ragged, indeed," she responded indignantly. "I keep that robe in memory of days gone by when your father and I were alone against the world, and had no fine mansion like this one, indeed, no house at all, just the next inn or grassy field. And do not think that I am fooled by your winning ways, imp. I suspect that, had you been lucky this morning, that simpering pink-cheeked girl, Delia whats-her-name, would be seeing more of it than I. But, the flattery was well thought out. I like it that you are beginning to think like the drow that you half are, not just rushing up to things and bashing them like your father, here."
Attalus smiled and said, "It served you many a time, lady wife. Besides, how many times have I been cautiously looking at something to hear your battle-cry and see you flailing away at something that I had not seen. Bashing, hrmph. But Veldren," he switched his blue gaze to his wayward offspring. "Your mother is right, as usual. Get out of those leathers and get into your dancing suit. I want to hear of progress in the pavane and minuet. There is a big Ball coming up for Down Drow Day, and your mother and I will be guests of honor. I do not want you to disgrace us by clodhopping all over the dance floor. So, go."
Veldren went. As usual, he was much more likely to obey his father, whose hand, though wrinkled now, was much more to be feared than his mother's fierce words. He changed in a flash, and was striding into the dancing studio not many minutes later. His fellow students had apparently just made a mess of things, and the elfin dancing master was upset. Delia Camberwell, the pretty blonde with the peaches-and-cream complexion that his dark-skinned mother was so contempuous of, smiled a greeting to him, rolling her eyes at the apoplectic dancing master.
"Now, Master," Delia cried, "here's your star pupil, back from playing truant. Let's see if we can get it right this time." She pirouetted over to Veldren, taking his hands and dancing. He joined her and they did a gavotte, the musicians joining in merrily, as Veldren was a favorite with them. He slipped them food and drinks at parties, where all the nobles ignored them.

Meanwhile, in the Drow city of Ust'Natha, a war partrol was making ready. This would be an unusual one, led by a priestess of Llloth, Shal'Drissa. A great sacrifice to Lloth was needed, and she meant to have the very best that she could conceive, a female Surface Elf. "Now, jaluks, you remember," she shouted. "You may kill, rape, and burn all you want, but if you do not leave the very best alive, for me, I shall flay one of you alive and the rest will go to the Handmaidens, do you hear me?"
The nearest drow male, who had been excited about the raid unitl she had shown up and announced her intention of going along, answered subserviently, "Yes, Malla Shal'Drissa." She slashed across his face with the snake-headed whip that she was brandishing. "Stupidjaluk. I didn't ask for comment. I just want you to do it." She stormed out. The rest sniickered at the lad's dicomfiture, as he wiped the blood from his face. "What 's the matter, Ganstis," one of them mocked, "haven't you learned to shut up when the great Shal'Drissa is about? Despana bitch, I can just hope that one of the stupid surfacers gets lucky with an arrow, and poor we will have no resurrection scroll."
"Quiet, Bufo," one of the older men said, "she has ears in every corner. She'll be wearing gloves made from your belly if she hears you saying anything like that."

[ 10-23-2002, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: Attalus ]
Old 10-22-2002, 06:13 AM   #2
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Att... you seem to have copied and pasted it, oh about 4 times or so... still a good read tho. keep posting.
Calaethis Dragonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 08:32 AM   #3
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Whoops, I'll correct it. Sorry
Old 10-22-2002, 08:42 AM   #4
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

no problem *grin* just remember to post some more I have a q, how old is V? in herman terms, since hes a half elf, er drow...

[ 10-22-2002, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: Calaethis Dragonsbane ]
Old 10-22-2002, 07:11 PM   #5
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Oh, you mean V for Veldren. He would be seventeen at this time, just about your age, boyo! Here we go:

Veldren continued to dance with the blonde girl. She looked at him with eyes glowing with approval. He was one of the most eligible batchelors in the city, even the whole of the Sword Coast, and would have been, even if he had not been so handsome. Rich and with a famous (and powerful) father, every girl that she knew schemed to get him for a suitor, but, so far, he had favored her. She admired his springy step, well-knit form, and the face that he had inherited from his Drow mother: heart-shaped, with snapping black eyes and a sensuous mouth, though his skin was little darker than a Calimnishite lad that she knew. His curly black hair was from his father.
Finally, to her disappointment, the dancing lesson was over. "Well-danced, Veldren," Delia cried. "will I see you at the Carmallens' party tonight? I know that you were invited, for I saw the list."
"Alas, no," the lad replied, with every expression of regret. "I have a previous engagement, a hunt interrupted by this class," he looked her sweet form up and down, "though, thanks to you, delightfully so." He bowed, grabbed his hat and went out gracefully through the door.
Mavis Cutwater, Delia's best friend, came rushing over to her as soon as he left. "Well?" she asked brightly, "Is Love's Dream coming tonight? I have a new dress that I would love for him to see." Mavis' figure tended tp the voluptious, and she was not known for hiding that aspect of herself.
Delia gave her a rather sour smile. "No, drat it," she rejoined, "he's away hunting, again. I swear, that boy never thinks of anything but his spear and bow."
"I know that I would like to be the victim of that spear," Mavis muttered, but subsided when Delia gave her a hard look.

Veldren was digging in his closet, looking for some heavier boots when his father stepped in. "Veldren, what are you doing?" he asked suspiciously. Seeing his bow and arrows on the rumpled bed, he made the obvious deduction. "Off hunting again? So soon? Well, I don't see the harm in it, as long as you are home for dinner. Your Aunt Imoen is coming, and I know that she would want to see you."
Veldren directed pleading eyes at his father. "Please, Dad," he asked piteously, "won't Auntie Im be here another time? If I find that Winter Wolf's trail, it could be a while to run him to earth."
Attalus felt his paladin's sense of duty wrestle with his affection for his son. Paternal affection won out. "Oh, all right, but there had better be a new wolf coat for your mother out of it, or next time you won't get so good an answer." Veldren jumped up and hugged his father in thanks, and, boots, bow and spear in hand, he raced out before he could change his mind. Not that he ever did.
Old 10-23-2002, 07:12 AM   #6
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

Boyo? me? *blank look* lol, I *do* wish ppl wouldnt call me that *grin* lol, it sounds like it's gonna be a good story Att, keep writing . hehe. "Auntie Im" lol. nice work.
Old 10-23-2002, 02:46 PM   #7
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Here is some more, fresh from the word processor:

Shortly after he left the city, Veldren found himself at the door of a rather delapidated cabin. "Paoli," he shouted, and an old man, still spry, came to the door.
"Yes, I'm here, just like I said," the huntsman replied grumpily. "Don't go on shouting, young Veldren, or every beastie in the wood will know we're about. Hmmp," he went on, as to himself, "not a thing like his father, no, sir, when Lord Attalus hunted, you never knew he was there until, whack! the arrow was in the beastie, and only one it took, too." As he was delivering this uncomplimentary assessment, Paoli latched his cabin door and slipped off onto a faint trail in the forest underbrush. Soon, they were standing at a mumbleberry bush. "See anything?" he asked the youth sardonically.
Veldren certainly did. He took his right hand from his slung bow and delicately teased a tuft of hair from one of the trailing brances' thorns. It was snow-white.

Ganstis's face still stung from the priestess' whip as the patrol gathered at the cave mouth that gave onto the surface world. One of the others would have healed it with a potion, but his House was too poor to be lavish with such things, and he wanted to save the one that he possessed for real wounds, though the others continued to taunt him about his whealed and scabbing face.
Shal'Drissa stuck her head out and scanned the area. "Too much light, still," she announced and sat down on the cave floor, waiting for the sun to set. A rabbit ducked into the cave, startling them all, especially the priestess, who struck at it with her whip. She missed, and the small creature scuttled away, safely. Ganstis felt Bufo nudge him, and flicked his eyes to see the look of glee pass quickly across his comrade's face before it resumed a serious look when Shal'Drissa looked about to see their reaction. Hmm, Ganstis thought, a little nervous tonight, are we? Outwardly, he gave no sign.
Attalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 02:55 PM   #8
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

lol; well I'll be back in an hr lol, lots of time for you to type up some more, eh att? *grin* only joking, still thanks for posting anyway . I appreciate it.
Old 10-23-2002, 03:00 PM   #9
Attalus
Symbol of Bane

Thanks. Got your PM and posted on the Anti-Anomen thread. Yeah, <font color=lavender>Galadria's</font> story starts oddly, but that is a result of a discussion on the old Imoen Romance thread.
Attalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 03:56 PM   #10
Calaethis Dragonsbane
Legion Symbol

So I see, the incest part is really uugh, disturbing to be honest. lol. anyway, Im sure its gonna be at least as good as her other two, if not better