Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2003, 09:03 AM   #21
Link
Jack Burton

To think about the fact that I've had a 500 post reduction as well, makes it even more prepostorous from my side [img]smile.gif[/img] But then again; I've heard of people who have been here for less than a year, who have twice or thrice my amount of posts...
Old 09-15-2003, 09:13 AM   #22
GokuZool
Lord Ao

Quote:
Originally posted by Link:
Running shoes? A change of username is perhaps more adequate [img]smile.gif[/img] or a one way ticket to the Solomon Islands or something else remote
Hey, what do you mean "a change of username?" Bah [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Solomon Islands? I can't run there!

Quote:
Amen, and where'd you get so wise?
^_^

[ 09-15-2003, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: GokuZool ]
Old 09-15-2003, 10:20 AM   #23
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Related Links:

05-25-2001

11-09-2001

It's too bad that Ziroc could not save the threads from the original IW Forums. In one particular thread I remember so well...Ziroc started of saying that a member becomes a Moderator when another member suggests the idea to Ziroc. When the suggestion is made, then Ziroc weighs the evidence of the person's history on IW...whether he/she matched some of the criteria that has already been mentioned.

In that particular thread, Memnoch was named a Moderator in front of the General Public of IW, and the first person that I ever saw to be named as such. Hehe...I remember how jealous I felt, but decided on that day to do the best that I could do to be what Ziroc wanted/needed, in order to fulfill that criteria.

By the way, what has not been mentioned is that Moderators generally are available at all times of day and night. Ziroc has tried to name people in different time zones to be online at hours of the day that helps us keep full coverage to the protection of the General Membership, yet I am on here at almost any hour, day or night. A few people have asked me if I ever sleep! So my input to the question of how to become a Mod would be "time" and "care". I am always online because I want IW to be a great place to be, and I enjoy my online friendships.

[ 09-15-2003, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]
Old 09-15-2003, 10:28 AM   #24
Link
Jack Burton

Well there's always the Cloudy exception! She become mod because Ziroc couldn't keep up with her post count! j/k Cloudykins! [img]graemlins/kiss.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2003, 10:32 AM   #25
Sir Exxon
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:
11-09-2001
Meh, trying to embarrass me in public, are we?
In my defense, I was a n00b at forums, and I didn't actually say that I wanted to become one...
Old 09-15-2003, 10:56 AM   #26
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dundee Slaytern:
If age and low postcount were important factors to qualify as a Moderator, I would be wayyyy out of the shortlist. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Besides the obvious traits of being non-biased, highly-tolerant, firm-but-fair enforcer of rules, etc... it also helps if a Moderator is sociable. This helps to break the ice between the Moderator and the other members of the forum. He/She is not seen as a force to be wary of, but a friend. Friends tend to behave themselves better, and there will be less "I want to rebel against the authority" wannabes.

To that end, wit, humour and a knack for spotting troublemakers are all important traits. The latter is especially important, because it is far easier to extinguish a simmering cinder, than a full-blown flame.

A Moderator has to be able to distinguish between friendship and duty as well. One of the hardest thing to do as a Moderator is to reprimand a friend, or worse, a fellow Moderator. However, if it is justified, it has to be done or you will not be fit to be a Moderator anymore.

There are perks to being a Moderator, but one must always remember that it is a JOB as well. To quote from the Spiderman comics,

"With great power, comes great responsibility."
Dundee says it very well! It's job first. It's something we do because we love Ironworks and want to keep it up the standards set by our Webmaster and Choc. It's not always easy and we often have to make tough decisions or choices that someone else might make differently. In the end, it's a matter of doing the best you can do and knowing Z picks people he thinks can do it the way he would if he had a million hours in a day. [img]smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-15-2003, 12:28 PM   #27
Gangrell
Iron Throne Cult

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
quote:
Originally posted by Gangrell:
Well, I would think another decision is based on if they can take that responsibility into care and not abuse it and of course the maturity factor. All the mods here are older people (not old, older) so you'll never see a teenage mod on here, not fair I think [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Not necessarily...Ertai was a moderator here (BG, BG2 and Gen Discussions) a year or so ago, and Dundee's doing a great job with the BG forums at the moment. It's maturity, not age, that's the key. [img]smile.gif[/img] [/QUOTE]That's my point though Memnoch, usually maturity comes with age so you'll never see a younger moderator on the board, if so, it'll be rare.
Old 09-15-2003, 12:40 PM   #28
johnny
40th Level Warrior

Ms Pacman Champion
I thought it was all about the trial of the seven graces, where you first have to become Hortator of the three great forums, then you have to unite the clans and.....hm...wait a minute....... never mind.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:11 PM   #29
Vaskez
Takhisis Follower

Let us all bow down to the great, honourable, graceful, unselfish, time-giving, intelligent and mighty moderators of IW!
Whoops there goes my chance of ever becoming one [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Say, Choc, you want some cat munchies or whatever crap you eat?
Choc - Meow!
Yeah? Ok here you go...you think I should be moderator?
Choc- Meow!
Well there you have it folks, no disuputing choc if what you lot say is true - guess you'll have to appoint me now

[ 09-15-2003, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Vaskez ]
Love conquers all? Damn, I'd say that area's gray
Old 09-15-2003, 01:14 PM   #30
Kaltia
Jack Burton

*Slips Choc some chicken* Psst-Choc! There's more where that came from!

RAWL!

*Kat stumbles out of building bleeding. Says to next in line, "It's okay! He's throughly pissed off now! Good luck!" and collapses*

The wolf is as cunning as he is ferocious; once he's had a taste of flesh then nothing else will do.