Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2002, 03:05 PM   #11
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian:
Can anybody help me clarify something I've been thinking over lately? Is it true that because it's written in the Constitution that every American is allowed to own a firearm, they don't change the gun laws in the States?
Yes! Our founding fathers had a little wisdom from experience in this area. Although you will find many anti-gunners who are trying to dissect the archaic language style used in the constitution and say that it doesn't really mean what it means. They've already nibbled around the edges so much that it may become meaningless anyway. unfortunately, the constitution doesn't provide specifics, and chaos reigns in the gray area.
Old 04-30-2002, 03:06 PM   #12
Spelca
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Elif Godson:
I personally wouldnt carry a fire arm, although one for the home is fine as long as you keep it locked up and out of the way of children. ...
Unfortunately children can go anywhere, no matter how many locks you put on. In Slovenia a little girl was shot by her brother (by accident) when they were playing with a gun. The gun was locked, and in a high place, but the children got to it anyway. No matter what you do, having a gun at home when you have children is not safe.
Old 04-30-2002, 03:12 PM   #13
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Neb:
quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian: Can anybody help me clarify something I've been thinking over lately? Is it true that because it's written in the Constitution that every American is allowed to own a firearm, they don't change the gun laws in the States?
No, it's because a lot of people with tons of cash are paying them not to change the laws.[/QUOTE]Oh no Neb! Don't go there! That little peice of paper is the bible that founded our great nation and was meant to guaruntee that certain basic individual rights remain in effect through it's history! To change it or emove part of it would be to start tearing down everything we stand for in this world. Freedom has a little price that goes with it you know. It will be just a hop skip and a jump to start working on freedom of speech right after that. As a matter of fact, they've nibbled the edges off of that amendment too!
Old 04-30-2002, 03:14 PM   #14
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Spelca:
quote:
I personally wouldnt carry a fire arm, although one for the home is fine as long as you keep it locked up and out of the way of children. ...
Unfortunately children can go anywhere, no matter how many locks you put on. In Slovenia a little girl was shot by her brother (by accident) when they were playing with a gun. The gun was locked, and in a high place, but the children got to it anyway. No matter what you do, having a gun at home when you have children is not safe.[/QUOTE]This is one very point I feel strongly about, it shows a lack of judgement IMO to have such a dangerous weapon ANYWHERE in a house children are being raised in.
Old 04-30-2002, 03:18 PM   #15
Neb
Account deleted by Request

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kenyth:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Arledrian: Can anybody help me clarify something I've been thinking over lately? Is it true that because it's written in the Constitution that every American is allowed to own a firearm, they don't change the gun laws in the States?
No, it's because a lot of people with tons of cash are paying them not to change the laws.[/QUOTE]Oh no Neb! Don't go there! That little peice of paper is the bible that founded our great nation and was meant to guaruntee that certain basic individual rights remain in effect through it's history! To change it or emove part of it would be to start tearing down everything we stand for in this world. Freedom has a little price that goes with it you know. It will be just a hop skip and a jump to start working on freedom of speech right after that. As a matter of fact, they've nibbled the edges off of that amendment too![/QUOTE]So anything said by your ancestors so many years ago cannot possibly be wrong? Right, I see an intelligent and truly enlightened attitude there. Respect for traditions and the fundamental laws are one thing. But refusing to accept a bit of change and move with the times is another.
Old 04-30-2002, 03:20 PM   #16
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by Spelca:
quote:
Unfortunately children can go anywhere, no matter how many locks you put on. In Slovenia a little girl was shot by her brother (by accident) when they were playing with a gun. The gun was locked, and in a high place, but the children got to it anyway. No matter what you do, having a gun at home when you have children is not safe.[/QUOTE]Let me rephrase that comment. "Properly locked" is much better. A loaded gun should be in the immediate possession of a responsible adult! A properly stored gun around children would be unloaded and in a steel gun safe with a secure combination lock. Putting the cable lock on the gun wouldn't be a bad idea either. A loaded gun on a high shelf in a breadbox is NOT properly secured!
Old 04-30-2002, 03:28 PM   #17
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

[/qb][/QUOTE]So anything said by your ancestors so many years ago cannot possibly be wrong? Right, I see an intelligent and truly enlightened attitude there. Respect for traditions and the fundamental laws are one thing. But refusing to accept a bit of change and move with the times is another.[/qb][/QUOTE]Certain things DON'T change Neb. People will always have to get water and nutrition, they'll always have to breath oxygen, and you'll always need the freedom in life to be happy. There have always been power mongers and criminals and there always will be! You will always need the freedom and right to protect yourself and your loved ones and the balance of power should always be with the people. Who's to stop someone from taking advantage or hurting us Neb, if not you and me?

[ 04-30-2002, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: Sir Kenyth ]
Old 04-30-2002, 03:31 PM   #18
khazadman
User suspended until [Feb13]

the second amendment was written for one reason only:protection from an over reaching government.
Quote:
Let me rephrase that comment. "Properly locked" is much better. A loaded gun should be in the immediate possession of a responsible adult! A properly stored gun around children would be unloaded and in a steel gun safe with a secure combination lock. Putting the cable lock on the gun wouldn't be a bad idea either. A loaded gun on a high shelf in a breadbox is NOT properly secured!
locking them up is good but if you have guns in a house with kids you should make sure they know what a gun is capable of.that is one of the best ways to keep kids from playing with them.
Old 04-30-2002, 03:32 PM   #19
AzureWolf
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
No, it's because a lot of people with tons of cash are paying them not to change the laws.[/QUOTE]Oh no Neb! Don't go there! That little peice of paper is the bible that founded our great nation and was meant to guaruntee that certain basic individual rights remain in effect through it's history! To change it or emove part of it would be to start tearing down everything we stand for in this world. Freedom has a little price that goes with it you know. It will be just a hop skip and a jump to start working on freedom of speech right after that. As a matter of fact, they've nibbled the edges off of that amendment too![/QUOTE]So anything said by your ancestors so many years ago cannot possibly be wrong? Right, I see an intelligent and truly enlightened attitude there. Respect for traditions and the fundamental laws are one thing. But refusing to accept a bit of change and move with the times is another.[/QUOTE]Certain things DON'T change Neb. People will always have to get water and nutrition, they'll always have to breath oxygen, and you'll always need the freedom in life to be happy. There have always been power mongers and criminals and there always will be! You will always need the freedom and right to protect yourself and your loved ones and the balance of power should always be with the people. Who's to stop someone from taking advantage or hurting us Neb, if not you and me?[/QUOTE]Umm....correct me if I am wrong but most countries seem to rely on police and the army.
Old 04-30-2002, 03:33 PM   #20
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by khazadman:
the second amendment was written for one reason only:protection from an over reaching government.
quote:
Let me rephrase that comment. "Properly locked" is much better. A loaded gun should be in the immediate possession of a responsible adult! A properly stored gun around children would be unloaded and in a steel gun safe with a secure combination lock. Putting the cable lock on the gun wouldn't be a bad idea either. A loaded gun on a high shelf in a breadbox is NOT properly secured!
locking them up is good but if you have guns in a house with kids you should make sure they know what a gun is capable of.that is one of the best ways to keep kids from playing with them.[/QUOTE]I absolutely agree 100%!