Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2001, 11:56 AM   #41
MagiK

Did you know that the National Acadamy of Science spent 7.5 million dollars researching just why Eskimo's need refrigerators.....the NAS has a few flaws. As long as your research is funded by creating crisis' I think you will find that there is always an emergency.

------------------
Disintigration is easy, If you really want to impress me, ReIntegrate it.

Old 09-05-2001, 12:00 PM   #42
Moridin
Fzoul Chembryl

Quote:
Originally posted by MagiK:
The USA is also NOT the leading producer of environmental pollution introduced into the environment. The ever stricter environmental laws in the USA are far more effective than those applied world wide. Russia, China and most of the so called "third world" countries put more pollution into the system simply because they have few if any regulations to start with.

Base your arguments in cold hard fact. If you have to "fudge" the numbers to make your point, then your point isn't worth making.
MagiK: Here are your cold hard facts

From the US EPA

CO2 Emissions from Fossil Fuel Combustion (listed by largest emitter)* figures are in million metric tons

USA: 5480
China: 2715
Russia: 1485
Japan: 1058
India: 926
Germany: 834
UK: 540
Canada: 508
Italy: 440
South Korea: 394

Amazinly I don't see any developing countries in that list. In fact the first developing country to make the top 20 is Mexico, and that I am sure is due to all of the US factories that have set up shop accross the border!

And you will note that the US produces more CO2 emissions than the next three largest producers combined!

I think it is you that should take a look a little closer before you make such absurd statements!

------------------

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig
I've got to admit it's getting better, it's getting better all the time
**Former proud member of the Laughing Hyenas**
Old 09-05-2001, 12:00 PM   #43
MagiK

Correct you are about the popular vote differing with the electoral.
As a whole the system has worked quite well as I said...altho to be honest I think we have reached the point where we could probably go to a straight popular vote with our current technology and communication infrastructure.

As for people being confused by the voting methods...the original constitution
assumed that only well educated people would be voting. There were ammendments made later that allows every citizen vote...which knowing the intelligence of my neighbor who can't figure out how to set his digital clock....makes me wonder about how bright that idea is.

------------------

Old 09-05-2001, 12:01 PM   #44
Absynthe

Quote:
Did you know that the National Acadamy of Science spent 7.5 million dollars researching just why Eskimo's need refrigerators.....the NAS has a few flaws. As long as your research is funded by creating crisis' I think you will find that there is always an emergency.

Magik, your use of logical fallacy is showing... that would be similar to saying that your opinions are of the same quality as Timothy McVeighs' because you're both veterans.

Old 09-05-2001, 12:04 PM   #45
MagiK

A last note on a friendly basis. I do not want it thought that I am putting anyone down for their beliefs about global warming or the ecology issues. It is good to be concerned. I am just expressing my distress at the sources for the so called data on the subject. Always be critical in your thinking, do not ever just believe something because it was in the news or on TV. Look deeper, look for bias and ulterior motives. I have no motive to foul the air, or pollute the water..I breathe the same things you do, and I drink the same water..it is NOT in my own interest to have a messed up eco-system...I am just not going to be gullible and believe someone just because he is a researcher in search of another government grant.

------------------

Old 09-05-2001, 12:08 PM   #46
MagiK

Heres a question for ya Moradin...just how did the EPA get those numbers...as far as I know they didn't hang a hose on my exhaust system and collect a sample...what they used was a teensy tiny sampling of data and projected the numbers...those numbers are used in policy making but are in no way believed to be accurate scientific data. (or at least they shouldnt be.) And by the way CO2 is only one type of pollution I was speaking in gross tonnage o waste dumpped. Take a sail along the the South China coast some time..then sail along the Gulf of Mexico and come back and tell me which you would rather be dipped in.

CO2 is one pollutant, lets think raw sewage, lets think of all the pollutants...unless we are talking green house gasses...oh and those metric tons listed for CO2 arent bad compared to say Mount St. Helens or perhaps Pinatubo...or Mauna Kia Again I am not saying we shouldnt continue to clean up. Im just think the kyoto thing is so full of holes that it isnt worth even looking at...Oh and just fyi in the accord China and russia are considered developing nations.

------------------

[This message has been edited by MagiK (edited 09-05-2001).]

Old 09-05-2001, 12:14 PM   #47
MagiK

My bad.. I said I was going to quit and then poseted again..this is it. I have to curb my bad habbit of always wanting the last word. nasty habbit that... I could be wrong about a lot of things but I do know that kyoto is bad for the USA.

------------------

Old 09-05-2001, 12:15 PM   #48
Conan

Quote:

As for people being confused by the voting methods...the original constitution
assumed that only well educated people would be voting. There were ammendments made later that allows every citizen vote...which knowing the intelligence of my neighbor who can't figure out how to set his digital clock....makes me wonder about how bright that idea is.

[/B]
Just a little blurb I caught in the news MagiK---> Callahan, Fla.
Voters in a city cuoncil election became the first in Florida to use touch-screen voting machines, which many countrys are considering as the state rids itself of the punch-card ballots that hung up the 2000 presidential election.
"No more hanging, dimpled or pregnant chads," Lt. Gov. Frank Brogan said. "Its very impressive"

*\Conan/*

Old 09-05-2001, 12:22 PM   #49
Blade
Emerald Dragon

Ach don't mention the hanging chads or the dimples isn't two or three months of debating and a court battle enough. The election is over no more complaining about it only trying to fix it for the next elections.

------------------
Life and death are mearly shadows of the complexity of humans
Old 09-05-2001, 12:33 PM   #50
Conan

Not a complaint from me Blade just pointing out that reform is slowly but surely coming, thats all