Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 10-18-2001, 11:43 PM   #21
mistral4543
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by daeomer:
It seems that everyone tends to use characters like Minsc, Jaheira and Aerie
etc. Does anyone every use Mazzy, Haer'Dalis, Cernd, Valygar or Keldorn as part of their 'main' party (not just switching them in for their quests!)?
Nobody seems to talk about these characters. Just curious.
This is just my opinion of the characters: (may contain spoilers)

Mazzy is a wonderful archer and she can melee pretty well too (especially with short swords). She has nice special abilities to boot.

Cernd is terrible if he's not shapeshifted, since his spellcasting is weakened due to his low dexterity.

I haven't tried Haer Dalis in a fight, but I find his character irritating; just dumped him right after Planar Prison.

Valygar is fine, but his conversations are boring.

Keldorn is great for his true sight and dispel special abilities; you need to give him the gauntlets of dexterity before he can fight decently. After that, he's a powerhouse... kind of stuffy character, though.
Old 10-19-2001, 12:03 AM   #22
floyd
Zhentarim Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by Mahlennacht:
Valygar rocks dual-wielding Celery and CorthalaBleeder (almost guaranteed a stun on first swing) - at least 6x backstab by end of game - fine longbow archer - & yes, w/ boots of speed + his high stealth he's excellent for recon

[Haven't tried Mazzy yet but I will since I'd read that she's practically a machine-gun wielding Tansheron's Bow. AND a sexy voice ]
AFAIK, Stalkers are limited to a 3x backstab modifier... Normal thieves are limited to 5x modifier. Assassins can reach 7x. Unless in ToB you can go even higher? Not sure on that point.

And I'm not sure how you get an 'almost' guaranteed stun on the first swing with CF. Valygar's THAC0 isnt great, and the CF has a low % of stunning, though there is no save for the stun.
Old 10-19-2001, 01:09 AM   #23
daeomer
Manshoon

I'm now playing with three parties and see why everyone says that Valygar is so good. With two katanas he kicks ass! Mazzy is pretty good too. Unfortunately I have yet to meet Cernd, Keldorn or Haer' Dalis but I am intrigued now to see what they offer since the other two were so valuable.
Old 10-19-2001, 02:20 AM   #24
tehmpus
The Magister

I'd like to dispell a few rumours about Heirdalis. He rocks. Someone mentioned earlier that his lore skill is cut in half. True, but I could probably count on one hand the amount of items that Heirdalis couldn't identify instantly even with his weakened lore skill. Whenever I find a magic item, I immediately give it to Heirdalis to identify. Also, he's decent with magic. It's nice to have a fighter type who can also blast with spells occaisionally. Plus the offensive and defensive spins really come in handy at times. In addition, I dont have a true thief in my group... so Heirdalis does all the pickpocketing. Early in the game, I couldn't manage to steal from the shoppies, but recently in the Inkie city, Heirdalis robbed em blind. He also comes with some pretty good magical weapons for early in the game. Frankly, after reading all your posts, I'm tempted to restart the game with a paladin... but sheesh that would be backtracking a heck of alot (I'm working on the Matron Mother quest currently).
Instead, I think I'll just continue with my current group and finish out the game. Holy Avengers will just have to wait for another day.

------------------
Tehmpus Thales the permanently InSaNe
Old 10-19-2001, 04:20 AM   #25
tehmpus
The Magister

Also, I'd like to add that Heirdalis gains levels quickly since he's a bard, thus spells whose effects depend on the "level of the caster" work better for him. Skull Trap at lvl 3 is a particularly good spell for Heirdalis since there is no 10 dice cap limit like on fireball. I'll usually fireball with Aerie, but Skull Trap with Heirdalis for added effect.

------------------
Tehmpus Thales the permanently InSaNe
Old 10-19-2001, 08:37 AM   #26
Lifetime
Red Dragon

I've never used Jan before.
I have something against the miunte races..
I've never really liked the look of a small tyke running around with my tanks.
Korgan is really really good though.

------------------
No-Name Face
Old 10-19-2001, 08:54 PM   #27
JackOfClubs
Elite Waterdeep Guard

I always get Mazzy early in the game. She is the most valiant personality in the game (even ahead of Minsc & Keldorn IMHO). There is a great scene if you take her into the Temple of Lathander with Aerie in your party. She gives a great inspirational speech along the lines of Man of La Mancha's "Dream the Impossible Dream".

I usually only use Haer'Dalis so that I can get a romance going between him and Aerie. Then I set them up in Cernd's old house and pretend they have run off and got married. It's the only way I can think of to get her out of the party without feeling guilty.

Cernd, Valygar and Keldorn I usually use just for their quests. Just not very interesting personalities...

------------------
Resistance to Tyrants is Service to God.
Old 10-19-2001, 09:39 PM   #28
Anthem
Dungeon Master

I like Keldorn for his fighting ability. Nalia for her thieving and casting. Been Anomen comes in handy too.
Old 10-19-2001, 09:42 PM   #29
SecretMaster
Apophis

Cernd suked for me. Some bug popped up making his Intelligence go down to 3!!!!!!! And his shapeshifts aren't that great. I threw him ou.
Old 10-21-2001, 12:04 PM   #30
Kitty
Manshoon

I agree with most peopl: Haer'Dalis and Cernd have their reasons to be the least favorite NPCs in BG2. Haer'Dalis would be better if he had more HPs; after all, he's a fighter-type bard, and starting out with poor HPs and emphasis in hand-to-hand combat is kind of suicidal. Plus his song doesn't improve with levels, becoming less useful in the long run.
Cernd is even more crappy. I don't see the point in taking him when you can have Jaheira. He can shapechange into a werewolf, which is useful when things get hairy and fighting comes prior to spellcasting, but just in the beginning - even shapechanged, Cernd can't reach a decent AC as any fighter would do, plus later in the game, enemies become more and more powerful, making the werewolf useless - and keep in mind he can't cast spells while shapechanged.