Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal > Baldurs Gate II Archives

Old 11-15-2001, 03:10 PM   #1
Jordi
Dungeon Master

I love this game. I like my PC and my party. My dilemma is this: I want to do a lot in chap 2 before moving on, but I don't want to reconstitute my party all the time. I have already had and dropped cernd and yoshimo. I would just rather play through with these and then start over with a different character (probably a mage of some sort).

Also, I don't like sharing XP with an NPC that I will only have around for a few days.

So, how much scope, or number of quests, will I sacrifice by trying to play party intact? Will this party serve me well enough in the sense of having enough different kind of strengths? Do I have any group dyanmic problems down the road, like kicking out Jan or Aerie to let imonen back in? Can you advise iwthout spoiling? This is my first time playing.

Right now I have Me, an elven, 10th level archer with master proficiency in long bow and an array of arrows.

Minsc with that talking sword and the sword of chaos, launching arrows when I need him to.

Valygar with the flame sword +2 and his family sword. Also firing arrows as needed

Jaheira with the Gnasher club and teh +2 medium shield (AC -2 I think).

Jan

Aerie with the missles and fear wands.
Old 11-15-2001, 04:24 PM   #2
daeomer
Manshoon

You are using exactly the same party that I am and the game is awesome with them. I think it is a really effective archer party. I would say that if you are going to replay the game again, just leave the group you have together and enjoy. The only character that I added in was Cernd (very briefly).
Because you are willing to play again, I think you would probably like to have some new experiences the second time through so therefore missing out on the odd quest isn't going to set you back too much.
I think I am futher than you are at the moment (about 15th level) and the party has little trouble with anything and is still fun to play with. Try playing with evil characters next time..... it's fun too!
Oh and get the boots of speed for your Archer.
Good Luck!
Old 11-15-2001, 04:25 PM   #3
daeomer
Manshoon

I forgot.... there is still TONS to do before chapter 3 without adding other NPCs so don't worry about that either.
Old 11-15-2001, 04:28 PM   #4
Jordi
Dungeon Master

Cool, Thanks.

I suppose I just kind of get invested in these folks and figure I will get to know others later on.
Old 11-15-2001, 04:30 PM   #5
Ugaya
Manshoon

Your party is well-balanced. You have all you need: melee fighters, archers and the magical/clerical support.
I never let a NPC join just because he comes with a quest. If you like your NPCs, just move on. Maybe after finishing the whole game you try another PC and different NPCs.
Regarding some of the missing quests: Korgan's and Mazzy's are (too) easy and quickly done, Edwin's can be fun (if you like Edwin, I found him disgusting), Keldorn's is laughable (but nice), Anonem's is interesting because of certain decisions to be made (he is unbearable though), Nalia's is o.k. Yoshimo's is special.
BTW, you will have the best (and longest) NPC quest (at least in my opinion) because you made the right choice.
It will be a tough decision to let Imoen join and dismiss one of the others...
A lot of fun playing SoA comes from the NPCs, their interactions, comments... I know, it's only a CRPG but I can't remember a pc game which is closer to PnP games.
Old 11-15-2001, 10:37 PM   #6
Jordi
Dungeon Master

Much to agree with there. The challenge for me is not in figurng out to amass most of x,y, or z, or figure out how to beat the game, but to stick to cetrain parameters and see what unfolds.

Thanks for your input.

I will stick with these and have a little farwell party when Imoen comes back. I suppose I will drop Jan or Aerie. Probably Aerie since Imoen's hieving skills aren't great as I recall. But all those spells I wasted on her! Ugh.

Then I can replay wit a different set of NPCs.
Old 11-15-2001, 10:43 PM   #7
Galadria
20th Level Warrior

Just a suggestion. Drop Aerie and pick up Viconia. With a strength belt and the Flail of Ages, she really rocks!
Lady Galadria,Goddess\' Equal of the O.R.T.; [img]\"http://havak.db-forge.com/portraits/bitmaps/wlf180L.bmp\" alt=\" - \" /><br />\"Romance at short notice was her specialty.\" - Saki <br />Founder of the IW Branch of the Anti-Anomen Society