Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2001, 08:29 AM   #1
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

I read this in the Sydney Morning Herald. If I didn't check the date I could've sworn we were still in the Dark Ages.

Standing orders for torturers: be creative

Quetta, Pakistan: "You must become so notorious for bad things that when you come into an area people will tremble in their sandals. Anyone can do beatings and starve people. I want your unit to find new ways of torture so terrible that the screams will frighten even crows from their nests and if the person survives he will never again have a night's sleep."

These were the instructions of the commandant of the Afghan secret police to his new recruits. For more than three years one of those recruits, Mr Hafiz Sadiqulla Hassani, ruthlessly carried out his orders. But sickened by the atrocities that he was forced to commit, last week he defected to Pakistan, joining a growing number of Taliban officials escaping across the border.

"Like many people, I did not become a Talib by choice," he said, explaining how his grandfather was arrested by the Taliban in 1988 and would only be released if he provided a member of his family as a conscript. Mr Hassani, now 30, was that relative.

He became a Taliban "volunteer", assigned to the secret police. At first, his job was to patrol the streets at night looking for thieves and signs of subversion. Then, the Taliban began issuing more extreme edicts.

The night patrols were instructed to seek out people watching videos, playing cards or, bizarrely, keeping caged birds. Men whose beards were not long enough were to be arrested, as was any woman who ventured outside her house. Even owning a kite became a criminal offence.

"Basically any form of pleasure was outlawed," Mr Hassani said, "and if we found people doing any of these things we would beat them with staves soaked in water - like a knife cutting through meat - until the room ran with their blood or their spines snapped. Then we would leave them with no food or water in rooms filled with insects until they died.

"We always tried to do different things: we would put some of them standing on their heads to sleep, hang others upside down with their legs tied together. We would stretch the arms out of others and nail them to posts like crucifixions. Sometimes we would throw bread to them to make them crawl. Then I would write the report to our commanding officer so he could see how innovative we had been."

------------------
Old 10-01-2001, 08:35 AM   #2
Link
Jack Burton

My god.. People can be so different.. And all this is just caused by one simple thing.. Lust for power.. Easy to say that people should change it, but what can be done about it??
" Ooh baby, baby, it's a SAD world.."

------------------
I am committed to restore your faith in extreme violence...

Link
Overlord Executioner, Slayer of Fluffed Beings
Member of Clan HADB
Supreme Warrior of Myst
Official Entertainer in Cloudy's Cafe
Old 10-01-2001, 08:40 AM   #3
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Man - I want to be sick.

------------------

Dubbed Queen of the Illuminati by Diogenes.
Old 10-01-2001, 08:42 AM   #4
Link
Jack Burton

Quote:
Originally posted by Fljotsdale:
Man - I want to be sick.

That can be arranged!!

------------------
I am committed to restore your faith in extreme violence...

Link
Overlord Executioner, Slayer of Fluffed Beings
Member of Clan HADB
Supreme Warrior of Myst
Official Entertainer in Cloudy's Cafe
Old 10-01-2001, 08:43 AM   #5
AngelofDeath
Drizzt Do'Urden

If this is not enough of a reason to NOT negotiate with these people, I do not know what is. We need to help the refugees, and get rid of these nutnicks!!

------------------
Old 10-01-2001, 08:47 AM   #6
WOLFGIR
Bastet - Egyptian Cat Goddess

And they are defended of the rest of the Arabic world? Why canīt they let prestige fall for once and see an oppurtunity to make a Muslim country as it is supposed to be instead??

I hope that there will be enough smart people around.. If US can help Afghanistan against the Talibans, ok, I donīt like them plain and simple. They probably donīt have any lost love for me either..

But get rid of them. Help the opposing forces back to rule afghanistan, let the arabic world help in this as well.. Well.. Utopia?

Not gonna happen.. too much prestige and hardheade people around i guess..

------------------

Be vevvy qwiet..Iīm hunting wabbits...
Wolfgirs lair
once-upon-a-paper
Old 10-01-2001, 08:47 AM   #7
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Sounds like the Nazis all over again. I'm never surprised to learn of another sect, cult or faction that resorts to this kind of behavior to get their way. It does, however, continue to sicken me. I truly hope that more people defect and flee from the Taliban and that those who remain will be punished for these crimes against humanity.

------------------

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS and Official Hypnotizer of the ORT *kneedeep*.
Occasional minion to Gwhanos the Fluffy

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*

"Allright! We'll call it a draw."
Old 10-01-2001, 08:53 AM   #8
Bahamut
Iron Throne Cult

How far?

Not very.

Everyone lusts for power

This is what kills the evolution

This is what kills

Our civilization.

All for their own selfish needs.

'Nuff said.

------------------

Chaotic Cavalier of ALSB, protector of the Innocent, slayer of the mad...
Old 10-01-2001, 10:30 AM   #9
Lifetime
Red Dragon

Were the Nazis ever this graphic?
Eck..
Most Nazis were born, bred and enlisted by choice into Hitler's personal religion..

Good post Memnoch..Sometimes its good to have a humbling reminder that we are'nt that far ahead of the Middle Ages.

------------------
No-Name Face
Old 10-01-2001, 10:44 AM   #10
DragonMage
20th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Lifetime:
Were the Nazis ever this graphic?
Eck..
Most Nazis were born, bred and enlisted by choice into Hitler's personal religion..

Good post Memnoch..Sometimes its good to have a humbling reminder that we are'nt that far ahead of the Middle Ages.
Unfortunately, they were. I have read the personal accounts of some survivors who could bear to talk about their experiences. Believe me, they were that bad and worse. So were the Romans at one time. So were quite a few conquering races. And you are probably accurate with MOST were willing. Not all. Some joined out of fear just like this particular gentleman who has left the Taliban. Mob rules and either you go along or you die.

------------------

The day we stop learning is the day we start dying!(c)

Co-Owner/Operator of the Evil Petting Zoo and devout member of the HADB clan.
Commander of the Dragon Fleet, IW Peacekeeping Force
Sublime Sister of the Illuminati - may the Light shine forever!
Mage extraordinair, Pin-Up Girl for the OLD-COOTS and Official Hypnotizer of the ORT *kneedeep*.
Occasional minion to Gwhanos the Fluffy

Hopeless Romantic *sigh*

"Allright! We'll call it a draw."