Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > Baldurs Gate II: Shadows of Amn & Throne of Bhaal
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2002, 09:24 AM   #1
Guk73
Dungeon Master

How the heck do you kill this thing?!
Possible spoilers...........
I know of his vulnerabilities while in each form but by the time I get any damage done to him, he changes form and is totally uninjured again. It seems like a vicious cycle. The lowest I can get him is barely injured. When he comes back to a previously 'beaten down' form, he's healed as well.

I've tried cheese by trying to lure him into and locking him in the ice room while in red demon form, but doesn't even phase him. Other posts have suggested that this works, but not for me. Tried other rooms while in other vulnerable forms as well.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 02-19-2002, 09:36 AM   #2
Sir Exxon
Zartan

SPOILERS
First, open all the different rooms. And then, go talk to him, and make him chase you. And then, you lead him into the different rooms!
If he eg is in his ice-form, take him to the fire-room. If he is poison/acid, take him to the wind-room, etc.
It might take a while, but it's the only way to defeat him.

see ya!
Sir Exxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 09:53 AM   #3
Guk73
Dungeon Master

Thanks for the prompt reply but it doesn't work. I've chased him into all the rooms while in each form but no room does any damage. It doesn't even come up saying 'immune to spell' or whatever the room attacks would be. It's just another room to him. Even tried locking him in a room with me while I dodge him. He changed into all 4 forms but to no avail. Any other suggestions?

I'm getting very close to killing him by cheating and add the experience by shadowkeeper but I don't want to if I don't have to.
Old 02-19-2002, 11:20 AM   #4
Azred
Drow Priestess

A wide variety of weapons should give you enough damage types to put your colorful foe down. The Flail of Ages is really useful here (at this point in the game you probably have the acid/cold/fire version), the axes Stonefire and Coldfire should also help, as should Arrows of Fire, Ice, or Acid. Of course, spells that devliver fire, acid, cold--or is it electricity? I forget. [img]tongue.gif[/img] Oh, well, you get the point. There aren't many weapons or spells that deliver poison damage, though. Have fighters use Whirlwind and Power Attack; this should put him down fairly quickly. Have clerics summon a Deva or two; perhaps a Planetar (if you can get them). Good luck!

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 11:53 AM   #5
Helspanth
Quintesson

Keep hitting him with your tanks untill he reaches near death.Then according to the form he has use his vulnerability attack.Also cloudkill does poison damage if you want that form of damage.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:16 PM   #6
Guk73
Dungeon Master

Thanks guys.

I couldn't get things done the way you suggested but I finally figured out something tht worked (and no cheese). I attake with my three tanks and had my other three party members casts 3-4 Agannazers Scorchers on the Ice beast. It worked great. My tanks didn't inflict too much damage but did the job in distracting while the spells did there work.

I'm not sure if I should even be tackling Watchers Keep yet. I am a level 18 ranger with most of my party only a level or two below but damn, this level was hard enough. I can only imagine what lies deeper in the Keep. I think I'll check out the next level and maybe head back to finish the quests of SOA first.

Again, Thanks guys
Old 02-19-2002, 01:30 PM   #7
Azred
Drow Priestess

hmmm... Yes, that might be a little to low for the rest of Watcher's Keep just yet. Go finish up any other quests and stomp on Bodhi first, then come back. Remember that there are a total of 6 levels to Watcher's Keep (the entry level, then the other 5); you are only on the second level--it just gets harder from here. Best of luck, though. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.
Azred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 01:40 PM   #8
Nim'ohtar
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Cast harm. Yes, harm. This killed him the first time I ran through Watcher's keep. That is, harm+some characters flailing away at him.

It doesn't really get harder from here, as in bosses..they just become more imposing; the only one I imagine being more annoying than the chromatic demon is the imprisoned one (no names mentioned if you don't know him yet).

There are some tricky fights in your way, but "harder", isn't the word if you apply your brain and think it through. =p

Summon elementals? worth a shot ^^
Old 02-19-2002, 03:35 PM   #9
andrewas
Harper

I had some problems with this git the second time through, with my solo monk.

The problem is you either have enough magic-users with a wide variety of spells to kill him elementaly, or you have enough tanks to hurt him fast enogh with physical damage. A solo monk has neither.

I am using the Ascension patch, so I was finaly able to kill the demon by using the Ravager Form which does 8 cold damage per hit. Took awhile for fire demon to come around, but when it did he only took 2 greater whirlwinds.

Might be worth bearing in mind for other soloers using this patch.
Old 02-20-2002, 07:05 PM   #10
Daniel
Symbol of Cyric

Spoiler
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
'
The easiest way that I have found to kill him is to use a thief to set 7 snares(not special) at the front of his cage, wait until he is in his ice form and then release him the traps should drop him as soon as his feet touch the ground.
Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote