Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)
FAQ Calendar Arcade Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2002, 08:22 PM   #1
Animal
Gold Dragon

I posted this a while back and got no response so I'll try one more time even though I don't know if anyone can help but...

I've got an Athlon XP 1800+, GF3 TI500, SB Live!, 2 WD80GB in Raid 0 and Via kt266a chipset running under XP Pro. The problem seems to be with USB where it locks the machine at random, sometimes 10sec after boot sometimes a couple of hours. If I disconnect be USB game controller and run my keyboard and mouse through PS2 ports (they're usually through USB,) it gives me no problems at all. Motherboard, video, and sound drivers all latest but no effect? Any ideas
Old 06-24-2002, 08:30 PM   #2
nick1979
Zhentarim Guard

Have you checked for chipset and or bios updates? Also have you tried just running the usb devices one at a time to see if its just one of them causing the issue?
Old 06-24-2002, 08:34 PM   #3
Animal
Gold Dragon

Runnin the latest BIOS and VIA chipset drivers. Doesn't seem to matter what device is running under USB, it happens when anything is plugged in even just a single device. None of the USB ports are using more than required voltage when everything plugged in.
Old 06-25-2002, 01:32 AM   #4
MILAMBER
Lord Soth

What USB devices do you have? Just the keyboard and mouse?

This is just a shot in the dark, and I don't see how it'd relate, but I'd try getting the latest Creative drivers. I know that the Sound Blaster cards have issues with most newer VIA chipsets.
\"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.\"<br />-General George Patton (1885-1945)<br /> <br />Member of CLAN HADB<br />Founder of The Anti Clan Coalition
Old 06-25-2002, 02:19 AM   #5
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Im not sure if this will help but try to get different drivers for your USB ports. If you can, try plugging your mouse and keyboard into the PS/2 ports and leave them there. Then get something like a Wingman controller or a webcam and plug it into the USB port. See if either of these devices cause any problems.

What motherboard are you running? Im also curious as to whether the USB ports are fixed to the board or if they are an add-on connected by a cable. Are the USB ports A PCI card or cable connected?
Old 07-04-2002, 12:00 PM   #6
Earthdog
Emerald Dragon

Sometimes computers just dont like certain USB products. I had a USB modem that did nothing but lock my computer. Everything else that was USB worked just fine. Took the modem back and got a normal external that I havent had a single problem out of. Never again would I buy a USB modem. That first experience with one really turned me off to them. I took the USB modem back THREE times before I gave up and exchanged it.