Visit the Ironworks Gaming Website Email the Webmaster Graphics Library Rules and Regulations Help Support Ironworks Forum with a Donation to Keep us Online - We rely totally on Donations from members Donation goal Meter

Ironworks Gaming Radio

Ironworks Gaming Forum

Go Back   Ironworks Gaming Forum > Ironworks Gaming Forums > General Discussion > General Conversation Archives (11/2000 - 01/2005)

Old 11-14-2004, 04:54 PM   #1
Marty4
Symbol of Cyric

Seeing all the people here who are in the know about computers, I think Ill pose a question. I have already fixed the situation, but I am curious as to what happened.

I felt like playing IWD2 one night. The disk was already in the computer and had been used previously that day, so that wasn't the problem. I turned the game on, and notice that it seems to not be loading as fast. Then, I hear a very loud crack, almost like a gunshot, and the computer said that it could not find the disk. I pressed the eject button on my drive, but nothing happened. I pressed the button again, and a message came up saying it could not read the disk. I then pressed it a third time and pried it open with a pair of scissors.

The disk had shattered. Not just split, it had broken into little pieces. I immediately felt to see if they had gotten too hot, but they were cool. I know that I did not put the disk only half in or something, since like I said I had used it earlier that day.

I am getting a new drive and a new copy of IWD2, so alls well. However, I have no idea how this occured. Does anyone have an idea?
Old 11-14-2004, 04:58 PM   #2
InjaYew
Zhentarim Guard

Actually I saw something like this tested on Mythbusters. Unfortunately I didn't catch the whole show, but apparently it's one of those things that can just happen occasionally. I'll look and see if they have a website. I'm actually kind of curious myself.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:01 PM   #3
dplax
Jack Burton

I had a friend for whom the same thing happened with his Rage of Mages 2 CD. I think that it is that some discs are just weaker or have some weakness which after some time causes them to break. If it happens in the drive the bad thing about it is that you also need a new drive.

Old 11-14-2004, 05:13 PM   #4
InjaYew
Zhentarim Guard

http://members.cox.net/johngomes/xcd.html

Welp, all I could find out was it was Ep. 2 and some guy had this pic posted on their message board over there.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:48 PM   #5
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

I remember that Mythbusters episode. They were checking to see if a CD could spin fast enough that it would spontaneously shatter. They were able to do it, but at speeds that are far greater than what you'd find in a home PC.

What happened? Well, there could be a couple of things. It could have been that the CD had imperfections that finally caused a problem. It could be that somehow, the CD was stuck in position, and as the drive tried to spin it, it finally broke. It could also have been that it was somehow in the drive off-center, and that caused the problem.

Whatever the reason, I do concur that the drive itself is also probably toast. I wouldn't trust it with anything else at this point; at the very least, you know there are shards of CD in there.
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:41 AM   #6
philip
Galvatron

I saw that mythbuster thing as well.

Maybe it was because your CD got stuck on the little side over it that's supposed to keep it in place. I hear a friend's PS2 managed to scratch a nice circle that way on his GTA SA disk.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:07 AM   #7
Variol (Farseer) Elmwood
Jack Burton

I think it's a combo of faulty disc and the way the drive grabbs the disc. I think the grip does into the disc and then opens a little. If it opens too much, poof!
Old 11-15-2004, 12:47 PM   #8
RoSs_bg2_rox
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by philip:
I saw that mythbuster thing as well.

Maybe it was because your CD got stuck on the little side over it that's supposed to keep it in place. I hear a friend's PS2 managed to scratch a nice circle that way on his GTA SA disk.
I think there is an issue with GTA disks, because both of my copies of Vice City for PS2 no longer work, due to reading errors I keep getting, which are due to scratches on the disk. Annoying.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:50 PM   #9
philip
Galvatron

Quote:
Originally posted by RoSs_bg2_rox:
I think there is an issue with GTA disks, because both of my copies of Vice City for PS2 no longer work, due to reading errors I keep getting, which are due to scratches on the disk. Annoying.
Really? I haven't had trouble yet but at times the PS starts to make really strange noise but when we put it off for some time it's always gone. My friend was sure it was his PS2 that scratched the disks. Are you?